Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-22-2016, 04:03 PM   #1
AWS

1987 29' Sovereign
Lebanon , Ohio
Fresh Water Drain Emergency Repair

The fresh water drain on our 87' Airstream is leaking and we are leaving on a trip in 2 days. It cracked and broke off right where the drain valve attached when I put the plug in before adding water. Wondering if plugging/patching the hole with JB Weld would hold for a 1 week trip or do you suggest replacing it?
There will not be hose connections where we are going so we will be relying on the tank for our water supply.
Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks.
AWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 07:59 PM   #2
RAH
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Cincinnati , Ohio
don't go with JB

I have used JB weld in the past, and found that it did not hold for very long. In my experience it looked good for about a day, then dried out to a brittle mess, and then fell apart.

You aren't far way...Have you been to Holman RV in Batavia? I have not used them for a repair, but their shop is well stocked and the people seem knowledgable.

Best of luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWS View Post
The fresh water drain on our 87' Airstream is leaking and we are leaving on a trip in 2 days. It cracked and broke off right where the drain valve attached when I put the plug in before adding water. Wondering if plugging/patching the hole with JB Weld would hold for a 1 week trip or do you suggest replacing it?
There will not be hose connections where we are going so we will be relying on the tank for our water supply.
Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 08:04 PM   #3
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
You can find a replacement valve identical to the factory one or a metal replacement st ACE Hardware stores. Peek your hesd inside the inspection hole to see how easy a fix this is.
Should be no kore thsn an hour of your time and $10
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 08:15 PM   #4
AWS

1987 29' Sovereign
Lebanon , Ohio
RAH: Thanks for your input. I have had good luck with JB in the past; we live on a farm and I use it when necessary. Usually work on the camper myself but have taken it to Jackson Center and a reliable shop in Springboro called Adventure RV Service also. Never been to Holman but appreciate the tip.
Old 06-22-2016, 08:20 PM   #5
AWS

1987 29' Sovereign
Lebanon , Ohio
Atomic, It would only take an hour but I have to jack up the trailer and remove one of the wheels to get my head under there to do the replacement. All that being said I'm looking at 3 hours and time's running thin...
Old 06-23-2016, 01:42 AM   #6
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I would use Quik Steel instead of JB Weld
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 04:36 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Toledo , Ohio
I would fix it better to do it now than on the road
woodfox45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 06:36 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
These Cheezy valves have been known to break at most inopertune times, due to them kinda 'freezing up' and being difficult to turn.
When I replaced my last one, (easy peazy on a Hi-Lo), I lubricated the new replacement one with Silicone Grease, using a Q-tip to insert it into the outlet tube and working it back and forth. that was six years ago, and it still worked easily.

For the Airstream, (30' FC) I made a simple tool out of 1/4" plastic lathe, and cut a slot into it to fit over the valve handle. Hope it works. It should.
(I have no idea on how to send a photo in this 'thread'.)
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote