Old 02-28-2014, 01:31 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1972 21' Globetrotter
Wylie , Texas
Frankenplumbing

I have inherited my trailer that was just off a repair due to a burst frozen fresh water line fixed with pex. I believe the PO only used it boondocking (no city), so hence the repair location. The rest of the plumbing is original(?) copper which has been removed and pictured. I have pexed the easy part (sinks, shower, on my way to the water heater-city water-fresh water junction. The most confusing thing is this drain with no valve in direct proximity that is just above the water supply to the water heater. I have not used the hot water due to a bathroom in disrepair (that I am now repairing) among other issues. There is a hot and cold drain at the rear of the trailer and what I guess is a fresh water drain right near the fresh tank that is copper (and also the AC drain. Wondering what this drain is and how to best pex this area behind water heater. Owners manual does not have a schematic, but I would love to see pictures of a proper configuration in this area.
Picture shows old copper with low tech labeling (no, I do not do elementary school science projects). More pictures to follow. Apparently one at a time is all my phone/data collection can handle. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	573.1 KB
ID:	206545  

Old 02-28-2014, 01:45 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1972 21' Globetrotter
Wylie , Texas
Picture 2: actual location
If you superimpose 1st & 2nd, you'll get the full picture. The pec was cut at top left at where city water enters (note hole in floor). City water supply enters here and goes around the square to supply 1st water heater, then on from there. At very top right you see where the fresh supply would supply if the valve at bottom center is closed. Notice the other cut labeled 'water supply' matches with the 1st pic. One more picture to come...
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	57
Size:	256.4 KB
ID:	206546  

Old 02-28-2014, 01:46 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I think your "mystery drain" tube is connected to a pressure relief valve for excessive pressure within the system. The valve is prone to corrosion and failure. A lot of people just remove them.
Old 02-28-2014, 01:55 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1972 21' Globetrotter
Wylie , Texas
And the other confusing area: fresh water jumble. I asked the local airstream 'expert' about these valves after having a systems check. I told him one of these made water leak out of the middle drain when opened. His response: "keep it closed." That didn't help my attempts to label things too much. The smaller red handled one seems to maybe be the copper drain I mentioned in post 1. Not sure about the bigger one. So, hopefully this gives the 'full picture' now. Any comments and guesses appreciated. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	54
Size:	284.9 KB
ID:	206547  
Old 02-28-2014, 02:06 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1972 21' Globetrotter
Wylie , Texas
Great. Thanks lumatic. That solves a mystery AND simplifies things. Love it. Still would like to see pex pictures if anyone has them. Sadly, I'm a better copycat than I am a plumber.