Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2018, 05:43 PM   #1
wmb
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Forgot to turn off the water pump to travel

We have a 2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 25. Today, after a short pit stop, we continued to tow another 2 hours or so with the water pump left on. When we arrived there was a fair amount of water (I'd estimate around a gallon) on the floor of the trailer, and the bathroom sink was full (we'd closed the plug). No water in the shower or galley sink, but there was a small amount in the toilet.

So it looks like water had been forced through the closed faucet in the bathroom and overflowed. Our fresh water was full when we started and at 7/8ths when we arrived (and we used some during the pit-stop), so it doesn't look like a lot of water got out.

I checked the pump, water heater and under both sinks and those areas seemed completely dry.

Now, I know we should have turned the pump off, but I wouldn't have expected water to get forced through closed taps so easily. Is there something else I should be worried about and/or looking out for?

We've used the pump occasionally when dry camping and we've never heard it turn on unless we were actually calling for water, so I don't think we have a leak anywhere. The only other thought that comes to mind was that we were towing at high altitude in CO - could lower atmospheric pressure trick the pump into running?
wmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 05:49 PM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Gee.... welcome to the club. I happen to have a thread going on our identical experience (with a different model and year) last Sunday. In our case, I'd guess it pumped about 28 gallons out *somewhere*. Like you, the only obvious sign of water was all that came out through the bathroom sink faucet.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 06:43 PM   #3
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
The faucet had to have turned on. Had to have. The pressure from the pump isn't higher when you are towing, than when you are sitting in camp. The motion opened the faucet, which is not uncommon. And then in your case, closed it again. Your lucky day. I recently found water on my cutting board over the sink and on the floor. The faucet was half open from towing. I'm certain it was off when I started. Fortunately the pump was off, so the water I had was just from the residual pressure in the system...very little. But what a lesson. I would have had 39 gallons on the the floor otherwise.

New Rules:

1. Turn off pump
2. Turn on a faucet to bleed off the remaining pressure.
3. Don't travel with cutting board over the sink--in case Rule #1 is forgotten. At least then it would go to the grey tank...though there would then be 18 remaining gallons to overflow from the shower once the tank was full.
4. See Rule #1.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 08:06 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
It seems to be a modern issue with faucets bouncing open. I usually forget to turn off the pump in our 91 and the 63. Heck, our 61 has a pressurized tank and it's impossible to shut it off. So far I've never had one turn on while traveling. Maybe the newer faucets are the issue?
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 08:59 PM   #5
wmb
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Thanks all for the tips - I guess we're going to be paranoid about turning off the pump from now on. It seems like we got very lucky that whatever joggled the faucet open also joggled it closed again. The last half hour or so of our trip was down US 285 into Denver which was a surprisingly bumpy ride - I bet that was what did it.
Old 06-18-2018, 09:04 PM   #6
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Been there, done that. I think WE are in good company here. We now are very careful, but probably not perfect, in double checking the pump switch. Don't want that to happen again. Our incident was much worse than yours but we've learned our lesson.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 09:20 PM   #7
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Dang, second time in 2days that I have read about this. I used to travel with 50% freash water but I think from now I am going to drop that amount way down and triple check to make sure the water pump is off and the sink stopper is open and the pressure has been bled out. Bad news comes in 3’s...

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 09:54 PM   #8
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
When I had a Lance truck camper I replaced the water pump switch with a spring wound timer switch.
Old 06-18-2018, 10:30 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Maybe it's my time with a boat where the water pump made so much noise we only turned it on when we were using the tank. It seems normal to me.
Hit the switch, open faucet, close faucet, turn switch off.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 10:36 PM   #10
wmb
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSNO60 View Post
When I had a Lance truck camper I replaced the water pump switch with a spring wound timer switch.
Interesting... I wonder if a tilt sensor like the ones used in car alarm systems could be used to isolate the pump if the trailer is in motion?
Old 06-18-2018, 11:11 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
Fleetwood , North Carolina
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
We had an infamous occurrence, we were on a caravan with 38 other Airstreams. Crossing the top of the world highway, a washboard dirt road approx 100 miles connecting Dawson City YT and Chicken AK. Stopped for a pee break and noticed water running from the entire curb side (ditch side?) of the trailer.

Lav faucet handle bounced open. Lav pop up drain bounced closed. No big deal if we'd had the pump off. Or could have just been clean water to mop up if we hadn't left both roof vents open and the fan on high on one of them. The road was very dry and extremely dusty.

Add 20 gallons water, 6 pounds dust, shake it well for an hour. We joke we still, six years later, find Chicken dust in our trailer.

You're not alone. We're not either. And we definitely added to our check list, "turn off the water pump" AND "close the vents".

Jim N5RTG
dreamstreamr.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 07:45 AM   #12
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

First off - no, the faucet was *not* turned on. If it was turned on, water would have been all over the place before we left.

Second - the pressure most certainly *is* higher when you are moving than when you are stationary. You hit a bump and inertia ( or flexing ) triggers the pressure switch. The pump puts in a burst when there is no need to. Eventually the pressure builds to to point something gives ...

Bob
Old 06-19-2018, 08:46 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmb View Post
Interesting... I wonder if a tilt sensor like the ones used in car alarm systems could be used to isolate the pump if the trailer is in motion?
That's a solution in search of a problem. Turn the switch off!
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 09:25 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
Kingwood , Texas
We have experienced similar problems. I now have a red LED that lights when the water pump is on and we always put an elastic bungee type loop over the kitchen faucet handle to keep it from bouncing open when on the road.
extiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 09:44 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Water Pump always Off when not being used... is best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
That's a solution in search of a problem. Turn the switch off!
Boondocking 101 and 102... TURN THE WATER PUMP OFF WHEN NOT USING FRESH WATER. Parked or traveling.

Yes the kitchen faucet can bounce on and off while on bumpy roads.

Mollysdad reads the other Threads on the Forums!

Another tip. When ready to leave camp. Turn the water pump off. Open the faucet over the sink to 'reduce the water pressure in the lines'. Then off. The handles on that faucet is an accident waiting to happen on a bumpy road due to leverage.

Always take the cutting board off the sink. It will end up on the floor. Put it on the bed or couch.

If you are not Off the Grid Boondocking, it is not a problem not maintaining the fresh water at 3/4 to full. Air pressure in the water lines at Sea Level and at 10,000 feet will not force water out of a faucet. You are confusing AIR which can be compressed and expand. Water cannot without high pressure... like at home.

You should have already BLED the water lines to remove the AIR. Otherwise the water pump runs and runs with air bubbles moving around in the water lines.

ADD... turn off water pump to your checklist. ADD... reduce water pressure when towing. You will be happier doing these such minor changes in your routines.
Old 06-19-2018, 04:06 PM   #16
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

First off - no, the faucet was *not* turned on. If it was turned on, water would have been all over the place before we left.

Second - the pressure most certainly *is* higher when you are moving than when you are stationary. You hit a bump and inertia ( or flexing ) triggers the pressure switch. The pump puts in a burst when there is no need to. Eventually the pressure builds to to point something gives ...

Bob

We will just have to totally disagree on this one. The pressure builds up enough to blow through the faucet seals? Not buying it!
Old 06-19-2018, 04:07 PM   #17
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmb View Post

Good Lord. Just turn off the pump. Make a checklist. Also I agree with Ray. I just generally leave mine off unless I need water and turn it on then.
Old 06-19-2018, 05:45 PM   #18
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Maybe it's my time with a boat where the water pump made so much noise we only turned it on when we were using the tank. It seems normal to me.
Hit the switch, open faucet, close faucet, turn switch off.
^
X2

Only on when needed, learned the hard way.🙄

This happened at 3am, flooded the floor in the head. 👎
Cross threaded fitting cracked. 😖
Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_109f.jpeg
Views:	84
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	314545  
Old 06-20-2018, 09:25 AM   #19
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcskier View Post
Good Lord. Just turn off the pump. Make a checklist. Also I agree with Ray. I just generally leave mine off unless I need water and turn it on then.
Hi

Ok, if it was open, how did it close? It most certainly was fully and firmly closed at the end of the journey. There also was no water running at the start of the journey.

Yes, I agree that blowing past the seals on a system with a pressure relief valve o it does not make much sense either.

Bob
Old 06-21-2018, 08:28 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Wow... I hope that some do not own a leaky boat.

Simple solutions have been given. This is not Nuclear Physics. Turn off the water pump, when traveling and when not in use. Relieve any water pressure in the water lines. There is a hot. There is a cold. Empty the fresh water tank if the problem persists.

This has worked for our trailers for 12 years without one mysterious water problem. Full water tank. Water lines purged of air. Traveling on highways, rough roads and camped. Travel from 4,000 feet elevation to 10,000 feet elevation. Low atmospheric pressure. High atmospheric pressure.

Did I leave out anything? If I did... you just solved your mystery!