Old 07-10-2012, 06:14 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Syracuse , New York
Foam Core ABS Pipe

So far finding ABS pipe and fittings has proven difficult here in central NY. I see I can order it from Lowes but all they have for pipe is foam core ABS rather than solid ABS. Has anyone used this and is it as durable as solid ABS pipe or will it wear through more quickly where it passes through the frame members?

Thanks,
Matt
1963 Globetrotter (in a bazillion pieces)

Old 07-10-2012, 07:15 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Hinckley , Ohio
ABS is ABS it dosn't mater what the core is. Just make sure you use ABS glue. It's black in color and matches the fittings. ABS is an additive system. Your filling the joint. You don't need cleaner with ABS. PVC the white stuff is subtractive. Your melting the pipe with the glue and you need cleaner to start the melting. Just swab the cup and then around the pipe push it home with a 1/4 turn. If your worried about wear on the frame cover it with a piece of tin or duct tape wrap. Measure the centers, take off for the fittings. If it's a little long you can always cut it shorter. But, you can't add on exept with a coupling.

I once had a guy ask me how to remove the fittings from PVC. I told him he had to cut the fittings off, because they were glued on. He proceeds to tell me he didn't glue them on, he only pounded them home to take his measurements. (the cups are tapered on the fittings) So, the leason is just measure the fitting and take off for the difference between the bottom of the cup (were the pipe stops) and the center of the turn.

If your redoing all the waste lines use PVC. You really don't want to mix ABS & PVC. It don't make a difference what system you use. They will both kill you if they burn.

regards,
Dave (pipefitter 30 years)

Old 07-10-2012, 07:36 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Syracuse , New York
Foam Core ABS Pipe

Thanks Dave!!
Old 07-10-2012, 10:27 PM   #4
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Matt

Pretty much any ABS pipe that is made is foam core. It should work great.

I prefer to use ABS instead of PVC because no primer is necessary and, in my experience, the joints are less likely to leak.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:18 PM   #5
Vintage Trailer Supply
Commercial Member

1956 22' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Montpelier , Vermont
Dave's right. Only reason to stick with ABS is that some of the hard to find street wyes and tees that work for trailers are ABS...also Valterra and Thetford valves are ABS so you have to solvent weld on to those many times.
WBCCI #1573
VintageRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:49 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Austin , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to chromis
They do have "general" purpose glue that'll glue pvc and abs together.

I had to cobble together some plumbing when my grey/black drain fell off during a trip..

Though I imagine after a while they'll crack one another since they have different expansion rates.

I imagine you can find pipe and plumbing supplies at most RV stores that have a repair shop..

Heck, I found nearly all the ABS parts I needed except some pipe hence the PVC in Small town Nebraska!..

My worse problem is connecting PVC/ABS and HDPE tanks outlets, in fact I need to take it apart and try again and fix a leak on one tank..
Old 01-04-2013, 04:03 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
I assume the HDPE outlet is threaded. I don't know of a glue that works with PE.
Here in Ontario ABS is the normal plumbing pipe so it is readily available.
Up here, abs glue is always yellow in colour. If I remember correctly it is a solvent glue with some abs filler. There is a cleaner if you want to use it and it's recommended but in my experience most plumbers never use it.
Al

TAC ON-3
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:55 AM   #8
Vintage Trailer Supply
Commercial Member

1956 22' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Montpelier , Vermont
Chromis, There are ABS/PVC dual solvent cements, but they aren't intended to be used to do the two types together. They are for either, not both. I haven't seen the general glue you're talking about, but I'm sure it is possible...and yes, it probably wouldn't be as strong.

Threaded PE is typical and what we make for our customers. That allows a simple thread-in fitting with the ABS. There are compression fittings if you have a simple hole in the tank...not as sturdy, but they work.

Many of our US customers tell us that the pipe is harder to find than the fittings, so we'll start carrying the short pipe lengths in various diameters to help out.

WBCCI #1573
VintageRV is offline   Reply With Quote