Old 09-05-2012, 10:52 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Flexible hoses at water pump, stay or go?

I spent some major time this weekend fixing the shower plumbing in the bathroom and I have the major problems fixed. I was looking at the water pump end of things and there is clear braided plastic hose on the high pressure side of the water pump and I was wondering what folks do with that. When you are hooked to city water this hose is going to see pressure all the time. It is nice to have flex connections there so you can drain things but there is a hazard of a blowout with it. The pump has those funky swivel connections at the end of the plastic hose.

Perry

Old 09-05-2012, 11:38 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
A flexible plastic hose at that location can help reduce noise from the pump, since it expands and contracts slightly with the pulses of water from the pump. If I recall correctly, the installation instructions for at least some pumps recommend the flexible hose.

Tim

Old 09-05-2012, 12:09 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
The braided clear plastic hose is fine in that application. If you look at a place like Home Depot, or Lowes you will find lots of plastic hose meant to be used in hooking up home faucets and toilets. They come complete with attached ends. I would not worry about city water pressure causing that kind of plastic hose to burst, or the lengths attached to your water pump.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:25 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Well this same stuff is also on the inlet side of the water heater. There is hose clamped PEX coming out of the water heater. This will be my next plumbing project.

Perry
Old 09-05-2012, 03:08 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
After 2 years and no leaks on any of my pex connection I did have a leak where the clear flex line coming off my water pump attached to the pex fitting. Simpe solution, just had to tighten the hose clamp on the clear line. Lucky for me, I was on the gaucho and heard a faint hissing sound, and found the leak. I hate to think the mess had it leaked all day. I have no idea why is started leaking when it did but you are correct it does have pressure on it when hooked to city water. I alway run a pressure regulator so it was not an over pressure problem. I purchased a regulator with a gauge on it and it limits inlet pressure to 45 PSI.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:39 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Always use a water pressure regulator before the hose leading to the trailer. Some campgrounds have too high a pressure. Always turn the water off at the hydrant before you leave the campground to go exploring. Nothing worse than a failure when you are away and have a flooded trailer or hose flooding the campground.
Old 09-05-2012, 04:04 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I have not even been brave enough to hook it to outside water. I have been using the pump and the fresh water tank. I turn the pump off when not using the water.

Perry
Old 09-05-2012, 04:12 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
As Tim said, the flexible hose keeps the pump from transferring noise to the rest of the plumbing.

As far as being brave enough to hook up to city water, I got a battery powered water detector. The reviews criticize it for not being loud enough, but it's not as much of an issue in an Airstream. I have it mounted up high in the center closet near the door (in my center bath Excella, the water pump is in the bottom of the closed, along with lots of other plumbing) and run the detector cable along the plumbing and pump. It's long enough. When it goes off, and it has, it takes a little while for me to notice it, but I do.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:40 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I have a pressure regulator but I have seen those fail open. I need a gage on the low pressure side to see if the regulator is actually doing anything.

Perry
Old 09-05-2012, 10:21 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Irrigon , Oregon
When the PO of my trailer installed pex, he also installed a valve past the hot water tank so that you are able to isolate the pump and holding tank when you are using pressurized water.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:53 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Yeah that is not a bad idea to take the pump out of the system all together when you are hooked to city water. There is a back flow preventer in the pump that could fail as well and fill your fresh water tank till it overflows. I think the flex hose is fine for the 20psi or so the pump puts out but you get unregulated 100psi that you see on a lot of city water systems you might have problems even with PEX.

Don't assume the regulator is working unless you have a gage to tell you it is working. My wife has a house in the country and we have had plumbing problems due to frozen pipes. There is a regulator in the systems but when I turned the water on the gage said 100 psi. The regulator was not doing anyting. I have a feeling the little regulators that you put on the end of your hose are flow restrictors more than pressure regulators. I think they reduce dynamic pressure not static pressure which makes them useless.

Perry
Old 09-06-2012, 08:43 AM   #12
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I was recently camping at the Air Force Academy. This was the first time I was ever warned to be careful of high water pressure. They sold regulators in the office because of this. Before I hooked up the water I pulled out my AS manual and it tells me that there is an internal pressure regulator to protect the trailer from this issue. I felt comfortable with that and hooked up and had no problems. My trailer is an '01 Excella. I don't know when they began to install pressure protection but never had an issue with my prior trailer, '85 Excella either.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:43 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I am not sure that any water pressure regulators regulate static pressure well. With no flow and a long time for a small leak through the regulator the pressure builds up. I think the plumbing just has to be good for the higher pressure. With the small lines I can not see 100 psi or so as a problem. If it will not take that there is a poblem in the installation. Sorta the same thing as with steam or gas lines. The plumbing has to be strong enough to hold if the regulator fails.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:04 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Well when you have 30 yr old PB fittings 100 psi is a problem.

Perry