Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2012, 03:54 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Brentwood , Tennessee
Filter Question

I am sure this isn't the first time this subject has been raised but I thought I would ask and see what the current thinking is. I have a Moen Faucet arrangement in the kitchen of our 2005 Classic 30'. There is a conventional kitchen faucet and a separate goose neck faucet connectd to a filter which provides drinking water, The filter is replaced when a light goes on or after 6 months, whichever happens first. Do I need one of those Blue filters at the water intake hose like some of my fellow Airstreamers have?
Ramblinboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:02 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I don't think so. I never even used one when I didn't have a filter at the sink. Unless you know where you are camping has unsafe water (which I wouldn't put in my tank anyway) I would just use the filtered water for drinking. Heck I brush my teeth with the bath faucet water.
Campgrounds have the same water quality requirements that municipalities have...at least around here.

Can a campground have bad water? Sure, but if it is bacteria, the filter is questionable as to it's usefullness anyway. IIRC, 2 microns will catch bacteria, but not viruses. I'd have to check, but I don't think the Pur blue filters are that small.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:09 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
A always use a filter for the supply coming into the trailer to keep out sediment that can plug all the aerators on the faucets. Before I used the filter, I had to clean all the aerators periodically. It also cuts the chlorine odor some water supplies have.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:13 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Classic
Smithville , New Jersey
We use the filter under the sink, at the hose and use bottled water. Overkill? Maybe, but it's not that much more effort and less to worry about.
monkeypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:14 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I believe this is your cartridge?

They don't even mention bacteria nor viruses, just parasites and chemicals.

PUR 3 Stage Faucet Water Filter Replacement

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 04-23-2012, 04:14 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Bay Area , California
We just had to get all of our pipes and fixtures flushed because calcium deposits in our lines from hard water in certain areas of the country pretty much clogged the entire system. As Wayn&Sam said, use a filter at the supply source to keep sediment out of the system. It isn't just the aerators that can get clogged —*the actual plumbing can too.
KerriO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:16 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Heck, I can see I'm outnumbered, but I filter, treat and drink lake and river water when wilderness camping, so maybe I'm just not as squeemish as most.

Old 04-23-2012, 04:18 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblinboy View Post
I am sure this isn't the first time this subject has been raised but I thought I would ask and see what the current thinking is. I have a Moen Faucet arrangement in the kitchen of our 2005 Classic 30'. There is a conventional kitchen faucet and a separate goose neck faucet connectd to a filter which provides drinking water, The filter is replaced when a light goes on or after 6 months, whichever happens first. Do I need one of those Blue filters at the water intake hose like some of my fellow Airstreamers have?
Not sure wether you're using the same model as I have but here's what AS put in the 2011 models.

Moen replacement filter (includes battery)
Moen 9601 Choiceflo, 9600 Replacement Filter

The filter is charcoal based, and I would recommend using the Moen product for your setup.

https://www.pbase.com/murreywalker

2011 23 FC FB
murreywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:34 PM   #9
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblinboy View Post
I have the Moen filter with the 9601 cartridge and, except for the high price of replacement cartridges, think it's great. I believe they were using them by 2005, though that's right about the time they switched from the older filter setup. Anyway, the 9601 is a combination microstrainer and activated carbon block, and has performance similar to products from First Need, Katadyn, and other filters designed for dealing with lake and stream water.

http://www.filtersfast.com/Moen-9601-Manual.pdf

That filter will do much more than the "blue filters" that go in the intake hose.

The "blue filter" will catch larger particulates which can be a nuisance to deal with in the plumbing, by causing one-way valves to stick open and clogging valves and aerators. I don't use one because I don't think it's worth the extra hassle when setting up.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:41 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
My '07 has the Pur blue filter linked in my previous post. Maybe AS used whatever was the best deal at the time??????

Old 04-24-2012, 05:17 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Brentwood , Tennessee
Filter Question

Thanks to all who responded. The filter I use comes from Moen and screws into a receptacle under the sink. I don't recall the price but it wasn't cheap. The kitchen set up is a replacement for the Moen original which I think also had a filter but was configured differently (Moen quit making the original and gave us the present set-up as a replacement). I have one of the Blue Filters which I bought on impulse at Camping World. I used it a few times but have had a lot of problems - mostly very slow running water at the faucet when it is connected and trouble getting it to function without leaks. I thought I would consign it to the circular file but I wanted to see if this was a crazy idea. From what I am hearing it isn't that crazy.
Ramblinboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:19 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Upon further review my 07 had Delta fixtures and filter system.....so 05=Moen, 07=Delta, 10=Moen??????

Oh well, at least mine takes the Pur filters readily available just about anywhere in a 2 pack for $24 (IIRC).