Old 09-04-2015, 05:15 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Missouri Valley , Iowa
I buy a good 5/8" X 50' hose from CW. Then I get a metal male and a female hose repair end. (I have had bad luck with plastic ends) I cut the 50' into a 20' and a 30' and attach the appropriate end. You can usually eyeball and tell which one will reach. It's waaay easier to handle that way. I also attach a better metal or brass shut-off on the male ends. You can turn on the hydrant / faucet and bleed out the air before hooking to the city water RV inlet without extra trips to the faucet and an air blast at the sinks.

Dan

Old 09-04-2015, 06:50 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Upper Sandusky , Ohio
I bought a couple of the self-coiling hoses on Amazon. Someone on here (Moosetag?) recommended them. Inexpensive and easy to handle. I also bought several more to use around the house and some to use with the sewer solution (though I clearly mark them so as not to mix them up with the potable ones.)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o09_s01

*2003 Jayco Designer Series 32' Rear Living
*2015 T@B Sofitel S (exchanged after 3 days for Bambi)
remphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 07:45 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
a slight hijack here. most times i'm hooking my hose up to a 1/2" supply line. is there a difference in pressure using a 1/2" or 5/8" hose between the pedestal and the trailer?
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 07:59 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by richinny View Post
a slight hijack here. most times i'm hooking my hose up to a 1/2" supply line. is there a difference in pressure using a 1/2" or 5/8" hose between the pedestal and the trailer?
The fittings at each end are smaller than the hose. A 5/8" hose has close to a 1/2" opening at each end. A 1/2" hose will be reduced at the fitting to ~ 3/8" to7/16". I like the larger size so I get maximum flow to the shower.

I need 75' of hose to fill up at home before I hook up to the truck. I have a 50' and two 25' white hoses in my Safari. Also I have added a 10' white hose to one side of my external water filter. I always carry extra incase one fails.
Old 09-04-2015, 08:45 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I am not worried about the black hose. I think there are less carcinogens in the hoses I am using. All of these things are made in China and are full of toxic plasticizers. It is best to run water you drink through a carbon filter before drinking. This gets most of the organics and Chlorine out of the water. We use bottled water even at home or water that goes through a Britta Filter. The white hoses still smell like plastic. To be safe don't drink the water without filtering. Theoretically the white hoses are safe but you have to suspect anyone who would put melamine in baby formula and not bat an eye.

Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Rubber degrades over time, so unless you really enjoy drinking rubber compounds, I recommend you change to food-grade plastic hoses. It's not FDA or USDA approved for coming in contact with food or potable liquids. Meaning you shouldn't drink the water that comes out of it.Potable water hoses— the blue and white ones— are made of food-grade plastic. Food-grade plastic is manufactured by an ISO 9000-certified company to ensure quality control, meets National Sanitation Foundation (NSF) Standard 51, and has been approved by the FDA and USDA for use in food storage and/or preparation. Key criteria of food-grade plastic are that it neither absorbs tastes or odors from the foods or potable liquids it comes in contact with, nor imparts a taste or odor to the foods or potable liquids it comes in contact with. All food-grade plastics are BPA-free by default.

So if you ever taste plastic from a plastic hose, dish, utensil, drinking glass, or anything else, it's not really food-grade. Look for FDA and/or USDA approval and NSF 51 on the label when you buy a potable water hose. If those marking aren't there, don't buy it for use with your fresh water system.
Old 09-04-2015, 09:01 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
I am not worried about the black hose. I think there are less carcinogens in the hoses I am using. All of these things are made in China and are full of toxic plasticizers. It is best to run water you drink through a carbon filter before drinking. This gets most of the organics and Chlorine out of the water. We use bottled water even at home or water that goes through a Britta Filter. The white hoses still smell like plastic. To be safe don't drink the water without filtering. Theoretically the white hoses are safe but you have to suspect anyone who would put melamine in baby formula and not bat an eye.

Perry

We triple filter our water.
1. Filter between the water supply
and the city water inlet on the airstream
2. Filter in the airstream on the cold water galley sink
3. And last the Brita filter on the water pitcjer

And the drinking water hose is made
In the USA🇺🇸

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 09-05-2015, 01:10 AM   #21
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
The white hoses still smell like plastic. To be safe don't drink the water without filtering. Theoretically the white hoses are safe but you have to suspect anyone who would put melamine in baby formula and not bat an eye.
That is why you have to look for the NSF, FDA, and USDA labels. As I said previously, you will never taste the plastic from a real food-grade plastic, by definition, and only plastics bearing certification from at least one of those three agencies qualifies as food-grade.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 06:51 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Even the approving labels can mean little. China has been found many times to use fake labeling. I use double filtering in the trailer water but who knows what is actually inside those filters as they are all made in china. Every so often I will poor strong bleach mix in to all my hoses and let it sit for a while and rinse. Just in case to kill any beasties setting up a home. Read somewhere not to use heavy concentrations of bleach through the filters, supposed to damage the filter material.
Like the idea of the flat roll up hoses. CW has them in 10 ft lengths for reasonable prices. Many times a shorter hose would come in handy. Problem with that is that the shipping is more than the cost of the hose. Next time I stop by a CW need to remember to see if they stock them.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 10:35 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB International
Nellysford , Virginia
We switched to GatorHyde hose!

After having the standard white Camco hoses begin leaking (and being tired of cheap hoses on our farm and for camping), I searched for a better hose. I found an American-made, drinking water quality, tough hose. I found the GatorHyde hoses, which I now use for our farm and my camper. The hoses are light weight, have stainless steel end fittings, are available in a variety of lengths & sizes, and are NSF drinking-water approved.

Their prices are very reasonable - I have found the best prices available through Home Depot (available only as online purchases).

Overall a great hose!!
Old 09-05-2015, 12:14 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Lake Wylie , South Carolina
You might want to take a look at this site. Quality hoses cut to your desired length with either stainless or brass fittings.
https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/Hoses.htm
2015 Ram 2500 Laramie Mega Cab Turbo Diesel 4x4
Vietnam Veteran Army 70 - 71
Road Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 12:23 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Parker , williamdcrockett
Water jug

I do not drink the water in the fresh water tank so I do not have to carry a water hose that is made for fresh water tanks. I use a cheap thin wall hose that folds up and fits in a drawer in the camper. I keep a 2 1/2 gallon water bottle with a hand pump attached to the kitchen sink faucet with bunge cords so that it does not have to be stored when we travel. The water bottle last about 3 days but it much easier to fill that tank than deal with an empty fresh water tank when we are boondocking.
Old 09-05-2015, 12:41 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Stowe , Vermont
Tuco - I concur with your method. We have a 2014, 27ft. FC. I have 2, 25ft. white "drinking" hoses. The number 2 hose has not been out of its wrapper yet, as there has not been a need for 50 feet of hose over the past couple of years - traveling over 12,000 miles per year. So... the number 2 hose is just backup. We too use one of those "shrink up" hoses (50 footer) for hooking up to the black tank flusher and misc. items. We hook up a Y valve at the camp spick-et. If you get a "shrink up" hose be sure to relieve the pressure when you are finished using it. I have had 2 of them develop leaks. I also have replaced them with the heavy duty model.
Old 09-05-2015, 12:56 PM   #27

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We have always used the "curly" drinking water hoses. They are much easier to deal with.

We have two 25' foot hoses and one 50'. The "curly" drinking water hoses can usually only be found on-line.

These hoses last a long time. One of our 25' hoses is almost ten years old, and we camp quite often.

We also use brass water hose quick connects. we have found these indispensable for easy set-up and break-down.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_8843.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	279.6 KB
ID:	247325  
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 02:54 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestysly View Post
Camping World and other RV retailers sell the Handi-Hose with and without the take-up reel. Without the reel it saves quite a bit of space and even with the reel it's pretty compact. I've never used the reel.

When the hose is pressurized it will act like a spring and want to uncoil and possibly kink as it comes up to pressure. After a few times using it you find out how to make it work without the kinks and lumps. In RV's, where space is a premium, the Handi-Hose is a great product. It's been quite a few years since we purchased our Handi-Hose but I recall it's rated as food grade.

Search - handi-hose - Camping World

Amazon.com: handi-hose

Be sure to look around for a sale price. I think Camping World has regular price reductions on this item and look for a Good Sam / CW coupon too.
Had the 10 footer for two years--maybe a dozen and half uses. Just threw away as it sprang a leak at the fold line. If you decide on one, buy a spare.