Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-31-2004, 05:07 PM   #1

Question drain hose at rear of trailer

We have a 1977 Argosy-airstream 22ft. travel trailer. When we hook up the water hose to the city water supply at the rear of the trailer, water drips out of a black drain hose that is right next to the water supply connection. Where is this hose going and how do we fix the leak? It poured out when we first turned on the water. We turned off the water and turned it back on the next day and it just drips now. It has dripped like this since we bought the trailer about 3 years ago but we just never had time to fix it.
frieda v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 05:47 PM   #2

It's either an extension from the hot/cold water line drain valves - in which case could mean the drain valves are not closing completely, or it's the drain line from the water pressure regulator which means the pressure regulator is faulty or the input water pressure is higher than about 45 psi.

Drdr
Drdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 12:02 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

I recently purchased my MH and am slowly fixing the problems one encounteres in buying classics. When I connect to city water I get minimal pressure to my various faucets. The overflow??? if that's what it is is running a mile a minute. I have yet to receive my newly purchased tech manual so don't even know where to start looking for the problem. When I turn on the pump, with city disconnected, I get no water even though the pump runs and I can see the water moving. Again the overflow?? in the back is running water. Any help or advice appreciated.
Thanks
Rick
gwteale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 12:05 PM   #4
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
It sounds like one of the drain valves is open. Look under the bed above the area where the water is coming out. The valve may have been left open from winterizing.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 07:49 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Brett
Thanks for the input. Lots of good info on this site just have a lot of items to read. I'm sure that most or all of my questions have been answered but just trying to find is a big chore.
rick
Old 06-08-2004, 06:54 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Freida V

The 111 valve is bad, as it's called. It's the high pressure water safety pop off valve.

They do fail in time and must be replaced.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 04:05 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
1978 31' Excella 500
Franklin , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to DPeakMD
As Andy said, it's probably the high pressure valve. We had our 'new' 78 at the factory and discovered that this was leaking just as you say, down that drain hose and out under the belly pan. The technician tried applying high pressure air from an air compressor in an attempt to dislodge what he thought would have been crud of some type causing the valve to stick open. He said it's a common problem. When that didn't work, he had to replace the unit. Hope this helps.
WBCCI #8481
DPeakMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 07:59 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

As many of you have stated when you first began dealing with an a/s, its always something new. I did as suggested and looked under the bed and ther was nothing there but heater hoses and storage trays. 1st lesson, make sure you tell the floor plan of your coach when looking for help. But the valve hint did put me on the right track. When the coach was winterized all drain valves were left open (is that the right way?) I finally found the two valves in the back right corner of the coach, directly above the "leak". The access hole was a very small opening below the vacuum cleaner. Reach in, closed the valves, no more "leak" and one to the next problem.
Thanks for the advice, great thread, great help. Glad to be a member.
Rick