Old 10-08-2014, 10:42 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
I can see that working for the lines but have to ask if you then drain the 6 gallons of water still in the hot water heater?
ABSOLUTELY sorry I forgot to mention that. I have ball valve shut offs right at the hot tank, in and out, so both of them get closed and the tank drained.

Old 11-12-2014, 04:19 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2012 23' International
North Everett , Washington
So, this is our first winter with our 2012 International 23d. I got all the water out and blew the lines out through the city water port but I didn't fill them with RV antifreeze as we are still trying to take a couple more trips. Will this be an issue?

Old 11-12-2014, 08:43 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
You still have water in the pump, toilet, and traps. If you are going to dry camp there is no reason not to go ahead and put the antifreeze in the water system.

You can still use the toilet, with bottled water, while dry camping just remember to put antifreeze in it at the end of the weekend.

You really don't have to worry about freezing till you will have a night, day and night below 30 degrees. A one night freeze above 25 degrees won't be enough to freeze things.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 07:37 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2012 23' International
North Everett , Washington
I talked to the Airstream Dealer Service Center today at ASNW and they said they don't run Antifreeze into the system when they do the service professionally. They said that they just add it to the P-Traps and the toilet and shower drains.
I don't think I'm going to run it into the lines unless someone has some first hand experience where they have met heartache by not having run it into the system.
Old 11-12-2014, 07:58 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB International
Beaverton , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Althea68 View Post
I talked to the Airstream Dealer Service Center today at ASNW and they said they don't run Antifreeze into the system when they do the service professionally. They said that they just add it to the P-Traps and the toilet and shower drains.
I don't think I'm going to run it into the lines unless someone has some first hand experience where they have met heartache by not having run it into the system.
I can't imagine that a thorough job of blowing the lines out wouldn't do the job. If there are only a few drops of water laying in the bottom of the pipe, and it freezes, it shouldn't do any damage, since there isn't pressure built up on the pipe.

What the dealer told you is exactly what I did. I also found an dealer PDF document that walks the AS tech through all the steps to take to winterize a unit. It does not say to pump antifreeze into the pipes. In my unit, the water pump is difficult to access, so it isn't conducive to installing the antifreeze tube with the T-fitting even if I wanted to...
Old 11-12-2014, 08:04 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
Line blow-out and anti-freeze pump-through is extra insurance for a small investment in time and money. Simple as that.
TinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 08:54 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triumphdude View Post
I can't imagine that a thorough job of blowing the lines out wouldn't do the job.
As I mentioned above the pump and line leading from the pump to the point that line connects to the system will still have water in it. The pump head is metal and is unlikely to survive freezing. If your trailer has a filter from the fresh water tank just before the pump that has water in it. The faucets are metal and the cartridges are metal. Yes the newer trailers use plastic pipe and that is quite forgiving to freezing but the metal parts are not so forgiving.

It takes me about 10 mins. to pump less than a gallon of antifreeze into the system at a cost of less that $4.00. Your choice.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote