Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2007, 10:09 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1958 18' "Footer"
Idyllwild , California
Copper or Plastic?

Well the re-fit is coming along nicely since the Esperanza Fire is no more but the 15 degrees and snow is going to hold up any cabinetry fabrication(Idyllwild, CA). I will start the Plumbing and Electrical until it warms up a bit.
My 1958 Traveler is very simple and I am going to keep it that way. There is only a Galley Sink and a Toilet that needs to be plumbed. Originally there was Flared Copper Tubing and I was going to use this again. Is there a good reason not to go back with Copper Tubing?
Steve
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 10:20 AM   #2
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratesteve
Well the re-fit is coming along nicely since the Esperanza Fire is no more but the 15 degrees and snow is going to hold up any cabinetry fabrication(Idyllwild, CA). I will start the Plumbing and Electrical until it warms up a bit.
My 1958 Traveler is very simple and I am going to keep it that way. There is only a Galley Sink and a Toilet that needs to be plumbed. Originally there was Flared Copper Tubing and I was going to use this again. Is there a good reason not to go back with Copper Tubing?
Steve
Steve,

I believe that expertly installed copper tubing is the best quality you can get, plus it is authentic to your trailer.
However, it does sustain frost damage easily, and is cumbersome to work with, if you're not an expert plumber. It is also difficult to install/remove components in your water circuit, such as water heater and faucets etc.
I opted for 1/2in pex tubing and flair-it fittings for the plumbing restoration in my 63 Overlander. I found the tubing and fittings very easy and quick to work with, and had no leaks from the basic installation whatsoever. The pex tubing is also more resistant to freeze damage ( which is a concern where you live). Care must be taken where the plastic tubing fittings meet metal threads. It takes more teflon tape than what I was used to for making solid connections without leaks. The flair-it fittings do not require expensive tooling, btw.
I bought my water line supplies here: www.rvpartsoutlet.com
Old 01-14-2007, 10:58 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
pex vs copper

Hi Steve, I kept copper in my 67 safari and went with pex on my 60 caravel. It's really fielder choice on this one. I found pex more covenant to work with and more expensive. Search on the forums a little bit you will find allot of info on this subject.

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 03:07 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Other fittings you can use with Pex (or copper) is "Shark Bite" fittings. They are pricey but push-on to either copper or Pex. Great for the copper to Pex transition. No tools required except for a release clip in case you need to remove a fitting from the system.
I used Shark-Bite and Pex in a closet that had little access for tools - I fell in love with it.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 03:44 PM   #5
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
I've used, and still use both.

Don't understand copper being tough to work with?
Flare fittings are so easy to make and tools to do with are common and cheap.
Fittings available at every hardware store.

I use PEX for all interior, replacing plastic fittings with brass, and aluminum crimp rings with copper.
Can be tough to get crimper into recessed areas.
Pre-crimp as much as possable.
That is one place flared tubing is easy.
All under sink attachments are about the same.
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 05:02 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Seattle , Washington
Send a message via AIM to kitchenclose
We replaced our copper w/ Plex. I was concerned a winter freeze would snap my copper lines. PS - So far the plex has held up in the Northwest cold front. I hope my hot water tank survives as well. I didn't drain my system before the cold front came. Am I worried? - OH YEAH!!!!
kitchenclose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 05:12 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Pex, it is just plain easier to work with than copper and when it comes to repair why kill yourself with a torch, silver solder and the associated tools. Pex.....Pex......Pex......
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 06:25 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
As a Plumbing contractor I cannot imagine why any one would not use the push ftg.s
several different brands, John guest, Watts, Sea-quest and more. The only tools needed are cutters and a deburring tool. Tight spots no problem. They swivel and you can release them and refit them. You can go from PVC to copper to pex and back again! I have been using them for years without incident. So If you wanted to maintain an area on a classic where copper may be seen you could have your cake and eat it to! I cant Imagen why you would want to flare, solder or screw joints when all you need to do is push??
Phil Gobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 08:52 PM   #9
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
I also used pex on the Ambassador and used SeaTech fittings. They also simply push on and off as needed. No tools neccessary.

The one thing I don't like about pex is that it does not bend or contour to where you might want it to go. With copper you can form it around anything you need to. Pex, expecially when cold, keeps its shape from the roll it was sold on and causes the plumbing to take its own shape.

In otherwords it ends up sticking up here and there. A straight shot will have a nice bend to it because when you take it off the roll, the pex resists changing its shape.
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 07:09 AM   #10
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
If you are staying mostly original on the vintage unit, then copper...if not, then I'd be inclined to go PEX.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 08:54 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Modern way to do it

Steve:

The PEX type systems most everyone is recommending really are the best solution because of the ease of installation and the fact that you can also easily remove portions of the run if ever you need to.

I used a system called IPEX AQUA which uses poly coated aluminum tubing and “twin seal” brass fittings.

The tubing readily bends to shape and the whole system is easy to use.

Sergei
Attached Images

SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 05:37 PM   #12

1970 31' Sovereign
Pioneertown , California
cold weather problems

The recent cold snap here has forced me to at last to repair or replace the faucets at the shower and bath sink of my trailer. Are there any replacement fittings available or possibly parts to repair the faucets? When it thaws out I am hoping I havn't got burst pipes! The pex soumds like the ticket if I have to re-pipe.
rimrock jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 09:26 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Austin , Texas
I've used both copper and pex for home remodeling. My Safari was done in Pex by the previous owner. The only thing I would have done is run the insulation tubing over all the lines.
Pex is more flexible and IMHO much easier to work with, Copper does let you squeeze into tighter spots if you can sweat the fitting, but never happy about putting a torch in my Safari.
Copper is also less servicable in the field. If you run into an issue with pex replacing is pretty easy to do, but moving stiff copper around and putting bends in it requires more patience and skill.
Freezing / bursting points should not be an issue as I'm sure you are winterizing your trailer before it's too late.. Oh yeah, I just remembered to do that last night before the freezing rain hit.
Otherwise bursting point for city water pressure should also be easily in the limits for Pex.
Alt
Thealt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 09:39 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1958 18' "Footer"
Idyllwild , California
Thanks to all for your input!
I am going to go back with the Copper Tubing and simply Flare the ends as original. The restoration is staying pretty true to Original with the exception of some Flooring. Our Freshwater System is minimal and I fell that the Flared Copper will keep it that way. I learned how to Flare Copper (and sweat) over 40 years ago and still have some of my Grandfather's tools for this task!
Thanks SmokelessJoe for you picture!
Steve
Old 01-20-2007, 02:51 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
I like the copper ,my 60trdwnd has it as well .I refit a couple new sections when the new water heater was put in .In this case ,I used brass compression fittings to make the connections and did'nt have to solder .
Brass fittings and copper are more auto related but work great .You can
do repairs in the field using brass fittings to section in replacement copper lines with no solder sweating .My Ogden purifyer has brass fittings originally to tie it into the copper kitchen sink lines .

Scott
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 11:27 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1958 18' "Footer"
Idyllwild , California
Yes, it is so simple to make a repair. I will simply carry a small piece of Tubing and the Flaring Tool. I will be adding a 110 volt AC Water Heater under the Galley Sink. I got this small Water Heater at Home Depot and it is only about 1 1/2 Gallons. Patti and I do not plan on Boon-docking allot and if we do I still have a Solar Shower from our Boat. Remember our Traveler is going to have the original Plumbing---One Toilet and One Sink.
Steve