Old 06-09-2009, 09:11 AM   #15
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
I don't think I would recommend PEX for a home install. Too much water pressure. It is perfect in an RV when coupled with a water pressure regulator. I, too, tore out the swollen copper and put in PEX although I didn't use the SharkBite fittings. I just used the regular fittings that are installed by hand with a final twist with a pliers. I had one small leak in the shower cold water feed and with another 1/2 twist on the fitting, no more leaks. This was 8 years ago and countless miles. I would do it again and probably will on another vintage trailer one day.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 09:47 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
My only frustration with Shark Bite is that they are pricey. For 'accessible' connections I use the 'twist' connections. Around my water heater the working space is limited to just using one hand. Shark Bite saved me from removing cabinets.
Neil

FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:22 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
old mystic , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfshr View Post
I don't think I would recommend PEX for a home install. Too much water pressure. It is perfect in an RV when coupled with a water pressure regulator. I, too, tore out the swollen copper and put in PEX although I didn't use the SharkBite fittings. I just used the regular fittings that are installed by hand with a final twist with a pliers. I had one small leak in the shower cold water feed and with another 1/2 twist on the fitting, no more leaks. This was 8 years ago and countless miles. I would do it again and probably will on another vintage trailer one day.

Brad
FF
Both of our sons have built new homes within the last 2 years and it was pex all the way by two different bulders. Even the baseboard hot water heat is put together with pex. Me thinks it's the way of the future. Does A really nice job too.

Sometimes it's hard to teach us old dogs new tricks, but sometimes new is better.

Annette
Old 06-09-2009, 11:40 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
Pex 150#

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfshr View Post

Brad
FF
When we do a new job,especially above the 2nd floor,the system is pressurized to 150# before we ever introduce water into the system.The pressure regulators on my Overlanders were thrown away as soon as I went to pex.I really don`t think I will find a water service exceeding that pressure.Dave
Old 06-09-2009, 12:19 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Weatherford , Texas
We ripped out all the copper and replaced it with color-coded PEX. Hard part was planning the installation so that there was room for the PEX tool to operate where the last connector had to be. Most of it was laid out and assembled elsewhere, then put in place and the last connections made. We used the swaged copper ring fittings, because we feared that vibration on the road would loosen shark-bite or the other compression-type fittings.

So far, we're happy with the system. When restoration is complete and we're on the road, we'll have the final answer.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:20 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Europe has be using stuff like pex for years. Sometimes the US is so far behind. Take cell phones for instance.. ATT&T is the only company using simcards and that is limited.
DARK AGES>>>>>>>

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 12:55 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
I replumbed my new water heater manifold tree with PEX (my first experience with it) and I think it's the way to go. It's freeze tolerant to a greater degree than copper.

I used the crimp rings with the fittings and it was cheap and very easy. I was able to rent a crimper at Home Depot for $8/day. The only place I had a leak is in a location that I had a difficult time getting the crimpers into the proper position to crimp - and I redid it by cutting off the copper crimp ring with some end cutter pliers and recrimped a new one paying more attention to proper position before I crimped. A cheap plastic tubing slicer is also a good tool to have so that you don't mess up the PEX tubing sawing on it.
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:06 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
CONCORD , North Carolina
Send a message via Skype™ to Erik Olson
I've learned to sweat copper from YouTube and am under the mid-twin on the curbside this weekend to repair some questionable (and leaking) splices that were done at some point in Ohana's history. About $75 worth of gear and you're good to go on copper. I did treat myself to a MAP torch, but otherwise, the most expensive item is any copper pipe you buy. 3/8" IPS x 24" set me back $12. Oy!
Old 03-30-2012, 10:05 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I like to work with copper and love soldering the joints. I would not and will not use copper in a Airstream trailer though. Pex is also a great product. $40 bucks for a crimper and you are all set to go. Spend another $12 up front and get the little cutter that makes nice, clean cuts.