Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-02-2011, 09:32 PM   #1

2003 22' International CCD
Rapid city , South Dakota
Clean water on rear floor?

I am new to this forum and to camper ownership. bought a 2003 international ccd over the winter. it was professionaly winterized. We have used it about 4 times, and notice the floor is damp. this last weekend, 50 mile tow and no rain, water started to collect in rear under desk. we are pretty sure it is clean. seemd to come when we were using sink but nothing is wet under the kitchen sink cabinet.

I pulled up the floor and it looks pretty rotten. looks like OSB but I can pull up with fingers. I push on it and it's like a spoung.

Water seems to be coming up from floor? I hate leaks - it's a bummer thing to find out on a new toy!

No dealer out near rapid city, sd. any suggestions would be appreciated! can I get access somehow to look at the pipes or is it a major operation?

Thanks! other than that, we are having fun with it.
Pschmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:54 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hi Pschmid. Welcome to the forum.

Sorry -- the OSB floors in these models ended up being a big factory mistake. They go away faster than plywood subjected to the same conditions.

The junction of the rear shell & bumper on any Airstream is more sensitive than most areas to leakage.

You'll have to get access to this area. Does it approach or go under the rear corner shower?

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 06:16 AM   #3
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Here is a good place to start your research.

Good luck

Would advise a trip to the roof to inspect all vents for possible leaks.

Found this during our first Season with the Classic, black tank vent not installed properly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SOLAR PANELS; ROOF LEAK 011.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	322.3 KB
ID:	136592  
Attached Images

Old 08-03-2011, 08:34 AM   #4

2003 22' International CCD
Rapid city , South Dakota
thanks for the help. I am trying to get it dry now and see if I can start running different plumbing fixtures to see what leaks. if nothing does, I'll get back on the roof. it looked good.

I was hoping that by going with a new unit I would avoid some of this headache! I barely enjoy the reasponsibilit of owning one home!

kids are loving it.

PS
Pschmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 08:57 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pschmid View Post
thanks for the help. I am trying to get it dry now and see if I can start running different plumbing fixtures to see what leaks. if nothing does, I'll get back on the roof. it looked good.

I was hoping that by going with a new unit I would avoid some of this headache! I barely enjoy the reasponsibilit of owning one home!

kids are loving it.

PS
The leak is coming from the joint outside where the bumper box meets the body. There is no sealent under the trim strip.
Here's what I found when we removed the interior and flooring, from a 2002 CCD.
The OSB board was taken out in a bucket as there was nothing left of it, front and back.
With the floor out I sprayed the joint outside with a hose and the water spayed right through to the inside. Not only that there is plastic on the bottom of the OSB and a vinal floor on top, so any water that gets in is trapped in the wood.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_5261 (640x480).jpg
Views:	113
Size:	275.4 KB
ID:	136621   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5259 (640x480).jpg
Views:	101
Size:	287.9 KB
ID:	136622  

Name:	100_5262 (640x480).jpg
Views:	120
Size:	275.1 KB
ID:	136623  
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:21 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Water coming from the bumper to body seam will come in under the floor and thus attack the OSB from the bottom. Not likely to show wet on the top of the floor. I would still inspect the flat piece of metal that goes in under the body from the bumper because that is a very common leak area.

Water coming in from a vent leak or fixture problem will show up on the top of the floor and most likely run out from under any cabinets in that area.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:34 AM   #7
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pschmid View Post

kids are loving it.

PS
Do you have any pictures yet?

This is what I found when I realized I had a "rear end" leak.
It was the wet carpet in the rear trunk that gave it away. Had wet carpet in trunk and both side storage compartments.
Sealed bumper & belt seams, tail and license housings. Removed carpet, dried plywood & installed moduler flexible flooring.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC07521.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	281.8 KB
ID:	136625   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07563.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	384.7 KB
ID:	136626