Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2016, 07:55 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
Charlevoix , Michigan
Check Valve DIY Question

In preparation for our 1st camping trip of the year I found that our city water connection's check valve had failed (filling tanks resulted in water from pressurized AS system pouring out of city water hose). As a quick fix, I just put a shut-off valve on the city water hose to prevent water from coming out the hose.

This fixed worked for this 1st trip, but it got me thinking... it would be nice to be able to use that long hose at a camp site to string over to the fire pit to extinguish the fire at the end of the night. With a normal check valve the flow is only one way (into the AS fresh water tank) so asking water to COME OUT of that hose in some scenarios while NOT LETTING IT COME OUT in others isn't possible.

So here's my question... if I wanted to selective choose whether or not to let water flow out of this hose, is there such a thing as a check valve that can be enabled or disabled? Enabled being regular check valve functionality (no back flow allowed), and disabled allowing water to flow out?

Right now I'm accomplishing this with a broken check valve and a manual shut-off valve on the city water connection hose, but I guess I'm looking for the "more correct" solution and hardware.

Just a thought experiment at this point. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!
trekerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 08:29 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
2008 F350, 6.4L diesel , Oak Harbor, WA
Sounds like the plumbing to bypass the water heater. Two T's and a ball valve would do it if you plumbed around the check valve.
sgschwend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 08:40 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
Charlevoix , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgschwend View Post
Sounds like the plumbing to bypass the water heater. Two T's and a ball valve would do it if you plumbed around the check valve.
Yes! That's exactly it. Thank you!

Instead of a ball valve, I might use Electric Solenoid Valve so the switch between flow in and out is the press of a button.

trekerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 08:40 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Funny you should mention this--I just "sorta" did the same thing.

Last year the check valve on our 1980 Caravelle failed open. It's part of the water pressure regulator assembly clear in the back of the trailer in a virtually inaccessible position.

I needed to replace the water hose inlet fitting anyway as it was so worn after 35 years that some of my hose ends were too loose to fully tighten. I was going to add an external check valve when it occurred to me that it would be just as easy, and maybe more reliable simply to put a quarter turn ball valve in the line. (Essentially the same thing you did, except this one is a standard plumbing valve rather than a garden hose valve.)

So this gives you a choice whether you want your pressurized water to flow out the hose as well as in. Works for me.

I wouldn't worry much about political correctness of the solution! (Although speaking of political correctness--the campground hose bibb should incorporate a backflow preventer, and nowadays most do. So you won't accidentally pump your tank water back into the campground water system.)
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 11:11 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
These ideas would also be handy when boondocking at the beach to rinse sandy feet.
Jacob D is offline   Reply With Quote