Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2013, 08:22 PM   #1

Des Moines , Washington
Can I? Relocating Bathroom and Such.

I think I might be crazy. However I have searched hours on the web looking for an answer. Can I move the rear bathroom from a 76 Sovereign 31' to the middle. The placement of the bathroom and shower in the middle leaving the rest as is other than restored or updated? Then placing a bed king size in the back? Would it still be safe. Also I read up that the 76' had slouching issues due to the rear bathroom placement. And that design only lasted 2 years. This I found reading up on the history. I have questions. But can not find an answer. Grateful and hopeful you could have answers or even ideas.
Katesie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:38 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
The centre bath was an option for your trailer, so you should be able to do what you want to do. Scroll to the last page of the brochure here:

http://www.airstream.com/files/libra...0013bcd2c3.pdf
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:59 PM   #3

Des Moines , Washington
Next question: I Haven't gutted it. I just want to rearange the left side. How much of a pain will it be if I move the plumbing?
Katesie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:25 PM   #4
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katesie View Post
I think I might be crazy. However I have searched hours on the web looking for an answer. Can I move the rear bathroom from a 76 Sovereign 31' to the middle. The placement of the bathroom and shower in the middle leaving the rest as is other than restored or updated?
Can you? Probably, depending on your skill and tenacity. Should you? Well, perhaps, depending on your skill and tenacity

You would have to relocate the blackwater (toilet sewage) tank, and repipe everything. You would want to be sure that the window placement will work for you. You may have to move bulkhead walls.

Quote:
Then placing a bed king size in the back? Would it still be safe.
Safe, yes, if done right.

You may find that the exterior compartment doors do not line up the way you want. They can be moved but that is not a small undertaking.

Quote:
Also I read up that the 76' had slouching issues due to the rear bathroom placement. And that design only lasted 2 years. This I found reading up on the history. I have questions. But can not find an answer. Grateful and hopeful you could have answers or even ideas.
If there is rear end sag it will take repairs to the frame and floor to correct it, whether or not you rearrange the floorplan.

Tell us more about your background and the condition of the trailer, and we can provide better answers
Old 04-23-2013, 09:53 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
If you want the mid-bath model, it may be easier to sell the trailer you have and keep your eye out for a model that came from the factory with the mid-bath. If you have the skills and funds to make the change yourself, there's no reason you can't do it.
Old 08-03-2013, 01:33 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Frozen , Tundra
I too have a rear bath model (66) and I too wish I could stuff a huge bed in back. Aside from moving most the plumbing (literally everything but the kitchen sink !) the wheelwells really eat into useable floor space needed for a toilet and shower, a bed or beds fit over them nicely though.
I have no answers, but do have an idea.
I've considered turning my twin beds separated by the aisle into two futon type frames that convert two facing couch/beds into one large bed that is made sliding the two frames down to meet in the middle, covering the center aisle with a giant king sized center bed !
I'm leaving my options open for until I get to that point in my restoration, you may see the idea in action when I get there. The best part is I can retain all original plumbing, floorplan, and electrical layouts and return it to the original with just removing the frames and putting 2 mattresses back down over the drawers.
alumascoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 05:48 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
Anything is possible with enough time and funds, the question is do you want it bad enough? As mentioned, you would have to move the black tank forward so it would sit under the toilet in its new location. That means you have to either run the discharge pipe all the way back to where the discharge outlet is or relocate the outlet nearer to the tank. And if you are working over the wheel wells, keep in mind that the axles are below and that may complicate working around them unless you drop them first. Here is what you might see once you pull down the belly pan and old insulation:

You also need to think about where the vent for that tank is and figure out the plumbing for that as well. You may be able to leave the gray tank where it is and just run the drain line back aft or you may want to move it, hard to say without seeing what the plumbing looks like. once you pull out the sink and bathtub, you'll have a bit of piping to deal with. Check out my blog if you want to see what I encountered in a similar vintage rear bath Overlander. The hot and cold pipes are simple enough and you will probably want to convert to PEX for cost and ease of installation.

And don't forget the hot water heater, its probably located all the way aft as well, so if you move it you need to cut a new hole in the side and then patch the old one. You would also need to move the gas line too. If you don't move it, then you would need to figure out how to leave it where it sits and work your new configuration around it.

And you will probably want to move the bulkhead wall that defines the bathroom. It may have the same contour and can just be slid foward or you may have to make a new one. On my trailer, on of the vent pipes went inside that wall so you may have to relocate it or find another way to hide it.

If you were going to gut the trailer and redesign the interior, it would probably be a simpler task, when you try and remodel and reuse existing walls and cabinets, it gets a bit tricky. DAMHIKT

Ongoing adventures at:
https://1973overlander.blogspot.com/
aquinob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:59 AM   #8

1973 27' Overlander
Toledo , Ohio
I found this thread while looking for help in removing the toilet in a rear bath '73 Overlander. I am gutting the entire trailer and doing a shell-on renovation. The trailer was always stored in a shed so is in wonderful shape and there is no compelling reason to remove the interior siding. I plan on keeping the kitchen in the original location but will build a double bed in the rear and move the bathroom to the center. I have purchased a Natures Head composting toilet. I have Natures Head on my sailboat and like it a lot. The Natures Head is a significant improvement over the Air Head. I have friends that have the Air Head and it looks like a garage-built prototype when compared to the Natures Head.

My question is how do I remove the existing toilet bowl? I have everything gutted but cannot see how the toilet is bolted down. Any pointers for anyone? Thanks
milroth49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:28 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
There are 2 bolts. One is accessible buy removing a plug on the inside of the bowl. As I recall. It is the left bolt. The other is behind the flush pedal. As I recall.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:41 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
I've attached a PDF of the manual for the toilet that I think was used in your trailer (it's what was used in my '72). Hopefully it will be useful for you in locating the bolts to remove the toilet.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Thetford 20 Manual.pdf (3.00 MB, 76 views)