Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-27-2011, 03:36 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Bud might need a bypass

Our 1984, 27ft, rear bath Sovereign, just gave me his first "real" problem. Pulled the handle to the grey water tank to dump, handle seemed to work fine, but nothing came out. 3 pics here. One is Buds rear end (be nice). The valve (Thetford) is on the curb side, inside that teensy little storage door, way down hard to reach. One pic is the valve that may need surgery. Now this does not look like it is going to be easy to get at. So...anyone with a similar make and model have to perform this delicate operation? Is a clog even possible, maybe I will try a snake first... I figure while I am in there I may as well replace the black water valve as well. It is on the street side inside the same compartment and is even harder to get at. (note the spiffy vice-grip handle I already have on it). Definitely not something I am looking forward to. We just got back from a very cold weekend and I just parked Bud, so I am done for today, but ideas, or even words of encouragement are welcome. This could impact Blanco in two weeks and that is just wrong!
And, I still have a full grey water tank...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	black water thetfod.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	146066   Click image for larger version

Name:	grey water thetford.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	146067  

Name:	Rear end.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	146068  

WBCCI 3805
AIR 54011 Since July 2011
casa3805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 10:06 PM   #2
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Sorry to hear about Buds rear end - keep us posted about your progress diagnosing the unfortunate issue. Did the valve seems to work (move)?

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 04:44 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
Sorry to hear about Buds rear end - keep us posted about your progress diagnosing the unfortunate issue. Did the valve seems to work (move)?
Yes it did Janet, That was/is the mystery. All felt normal except for no release of water. I would expect that if the rod had come loose from the actual valve section, it would just move up and down with no resistance. First real check will be this afternoon when I open it up and run a snake up there. I don't hold out a lot of hope for that fixing anything, but who knows, maybe 27 years of hair, and soap just finally all accumulated and when it got very cold, solidified. That would sure be the easy thing to find!

I thought about blaming it on the grandkids but any toys and fluffy animals would have gone into the toilet, not the sink...

WBCCI 3805
Old 11-28-2011, 06:51 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
not that this is going to be much help, but I can't resist- If you do find a hair ballor clog, then you can always say that Bud had a wild hair up his rear end
No amount of time will erase the memory of a great dog.
bwoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:31 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Helps a little

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwoodtx View Post
not that this is going to be much help, but I can't resist- If you do find a hair ballor clog, then you can always say that Bud had a wild hair up his rear end
You are right. Technically, not a lot of help. But laughter is always good, and that was funny!

WBCCI 3805
Old 11-29-2011, 09:30 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
chuck,

Do you rectum you found bud's source of gastro-intestinal distress?
Old 11-29-2011, 05:23 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Take two aspirin and call me in the morning

Quote:
chuck,

Do you rectum you found bud's source of gastro-intestinal distress?
All better now. Blanco is still on and you need to be very concerned about your flamingo!

OK I will fess up. I dumped tanks the night before we left. (Lots of grandkids using every water source.) Closed the grey water valve so I would have a little for one last dump/flush before we left. Turns out no one took a shower, we did not wash any dishes and there was simply nothing in the dang tank to dump when I opened the valve other than a little toothbrushing water... Worst thing about it all...While I was back there tonight with my handy dandy snake hoping it was some sort of clog, my dear wife, whom I used to really love, said "Are you sure there was any water in it?"
Sooooo embarrasing yet so glad there is nothing really wrong.

Oh Dear Moderators...Have mercy on me and delete this thread before too many people read it.

WBCCI 3805
Old 11-29-2011, 06:20 PM   #8
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Too late. A new thread on RV.Net linked to this thread is up and running to prove that snobbish A/S owners (all A/S owners are snobs) are no smarter than everyone else.

How did that bumper & cover turn out? Did I miss pics?
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 06:45 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Smart? Nay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
Too late. A new thread on RV.Net linked to this thread is up and running to prove that snobbish A/S owners (all A/S owners are snobs) are no smarter than everyone else.

How did that bumper & cover turn out? Did I miss pics?
Hey!
Too funny. And fair enough!

I guess I should put out some pics of the bumper/storage compartment work. On post 1 of this thread you can see it (kinda). Looks a lot better without all the layers of paint. Ended up doing a lot more than just stripping paint from the deck lid and bumper. Even found the spring that had broken loose and was stuck back in the back of the storage compartment. Got it all fixed and re-installed. I'll get some pics out there. Now that Skye figured out the non-existent clogged valve problem, I can focus on something else, maybe install all the new LED marker lights...

WBCCI 3805
Old 11-29-2011, 07:27 PM   #10
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Ahhhh Thanks for the chuckle...uh Chuck! This one is almost as good as the lost furnace post! All in good fun! Thanks for being a great sport! The bumper compartment looks GREAT!

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:33 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Comes with age

Quote:
Originally Posted by casa3805 View Post
All better now. Blanco is still on and you need to be very concerned about your flamingo!

OK I will fess up. I dumped tanks the night before we left. (Lots of grandkids using every water source.) Closed the grey water valve so I would have a little for one last dump/flush before we left. Turns out no one took a shower, we did not wash any dishes and there was simply nothing in the dang tank to dump when I opened the valve other than a little toothbrushing water... Worst thing about it all...While I was back there tonight with my handy dandy snake hoping it was some sort of clog, my dear wife, whom I used to really love, said "Are you sure there was any water in it?"

Oh Dear Moderators...Have mercy on me and delete this thread before too many people read it.
Chuck, that kind of stuff just comes with age, like hitting your head on the door you've been in & out of a thousand times, or after thousands of dumps forgetting which handle dumps which tank, or shutting the door on your own hand. In the end , after your head stops hurting, the tanks are both empty, and the stitches are removed, it is good to look back & smile, & remind ourselves we're really not as smart as we think we are.
Sure glad there was a happy ending to your story! John
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:09 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1984 27' Sovereign
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlapper View Post
Chuck, that kind of stuff just comes with age, like hitting your head on the door you've been in & out of a thousand times, or after thousands of dumps forgetting which handle dumps which tank, or shutting the door on your own hand. In the end , after your head stops hurting, the tanks are both empty, and the stitches are removed, it is good to look back & smile, & remind ourselves we're really not as smart as we think we are.
Sure glad there was a happy ending to your story! John
John, Talk about hurting his head, he is going crazy trying to figure out what that surcee is that you sent. He has tried it on all kinds of things out there, none seem to work exactly right....But hard head that he is, he will not ask!
Silly boy....
sunnyskye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 04:43 AM   #13
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Skye, I can relate to the hard head thing. Got one of the hardest around. In Chuck's defense, could be your model trailer can't use the surcee I sent. I will try to find out if it can & let you know. In the mean time we will enjoy the show!
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:16 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:

Are you sure you know where your flamingo is?????
Old 11-30-2011, 04:23 PM   #15
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I missed the bumper pic. I think it turned out quite nicely!!

Thought of you and the "busy roof" when looking at this moho a week or so ago (an excuse to get out the rattle cans):

Old Guys Don't Need Much Excuse to Clamber About the Roof

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 05:48 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Are you sure you know where your flamingo is?????
Sadly Bruce, no but I am looking for it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
I missed the bumper pic. I think it turned out quite nicely!!

Thought of you and the "busy roof" when looking at this moho a week or so ago (an excuse to get out the rattle cans):

Old Guys Don't Need Much Excuse to Clamber About the Roof

Finally, someone with more going on up on the roof than I do. I need to get half that stuff removed though...Sure don't need it all..(but it still looks good)
So Ross...when do you pick up that moho?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Morning Sun.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	327.0 KB
ID:	146275  

WBCCI 3805
Old 11-30-2011, 08:33 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
1965 20' Globetrotter
Stephenville , Texas
Thanks for the laugh, Chuck! And glad that Blanco's back on for next week. Wish you were in San Antonio this week! Still got room for you - come and join us!
Jimarq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 04:41 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimarq View Post
Thanks for the laugh, Chuck! And glad that Blanco's back on for next week. Wish you were in San Antonio this week! Still got room for you - come and join us!
Glad everyone is getting a good chuckle. Helps to remind me that I don't always know as much as I like to think.

We wish we were there too!! But this month is soooo busy. (packed with fun I mean) Thanksgiving at Boerne. Then Blanco for the Flamingo contest. When we leave there we pull Bud to Camper Clinic for brakes, bearing pack, and inspection. (Thanks for pointing that inspection thing out Sphere Guy!) Pick it up the next weekend and go see our son and daughter in law (recently returned from Afghanistan) and then turn right around and fly to Virginia over Christmas to see my Mom.

We will get with you guys soon though. Need to say hi to the unit!

WBCCI 3805
Old 12-02-2011, 04:29 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1984 27' Sovereign
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Glad everyone is getting a good chuckle. Helps to remind me that I don't always know as much as I like to think.

We will get with you guys soon though. Need to say hi to the unit!
Making reservations for Inks Lake and Goliad today....we can't wait to see some of the familiar faces that we have been missing...Chuck is right, it will be an extremely busy Dec. for us. Can't remember the last time we were gone so many days in one month....well, upon further thought, we have never been gone this many days in a month! Hope it will be just a wee bit quieter after the first, but....no doubt we will just go with the flow and see what happens.