Old 04-07-2016, 12:58 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Spartanburg , South Carolina
Broken water line

I have a 1975 31 ft SLY. Twin rear and center bath! I have a broken water line and can't tell where it's coming from. Can anyone tell me if the water lines run on top of the floor through T the camper or do they also run beneath the floor. Line starts under twin bed... Runs on top of the floor until the closet and then disappears. The bathroom and kitchen are on the opposite side of the camper, so it has to cross over somewhere?? Water is pouring out beneath kitchen and where the hose enters the camper! Do I access it by pulling up the floor or dropping the belly pan? Thank you for your help and suggestions. Tunie. Btw if you are anywhere near Hendersonville NC, feel free to take a look! Lol

Old 04-07-2016, 01:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
The answer is that the water lines run both along the walls inside the camper shell (behind cabinetry) and under the wood floor (mostly to get from the fresh water tank and from one side of the trailer to the other. To my knowledge, no lines run in between the inner and outer skins of the Airstream (although they do go through both skins where the city water connection and fresh water tank fill are located, and outside shower if so equipped.)

To access the under-floor lines I would suggest dropping the belly pan as that is a whole lot easier than tearing up the floor. But I would first eliminate the possibility that the leak is from an above-floor line behind a cabinet. It's fairly easy to remove a cabinet, cabinet door or drawer to access a water line that is behind it. Debug carefully and methodically to eliminate any unnecessary disassembly.

Old 04-08-2016, 08:42 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Broken water line

Thank you AnnArbor! Are there two floors... Ie floor and subfloor in the AS?
Old 04-08-2016, 07:09 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunie127 View Post
Thank you AnnArbor! Are there two floors... Ie floor and subfloor in the AS?
There is a plywood sheet secured to the steel frame on top of which is your floor covering (carpet, vinyl, etc..) No subfloor unless you consider the belly pan to be the sub floor.
Old 04-08-2016, 07:34 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Yeah, the lines cross the trailer under the floor. But you may not have to take out the floor. If you can get to both ends of the leaking line you may be able to just push or pull a new line in beside it. You should be able to access the line where the hose comes into the camper under the bed in the rear compartment on top of the floor. I would look hard for another way before I took out the belly pan. I would look at running new lines with PEX to replace anything that is leaking. Did the trailer freeze? You could have a broken line under the floor if it froze. You can not take out the floor to access anything. You can cut holes in it and patch it back up.
Old 04-08-2016, 08:02 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , ^
I have a 77 Sovereign, and no water lines run under the wood floor. The only place there is a water line coming from under the floor is from the water tank, and that is just a short piece of hose coming up through the floor from your tank to your water pump. Perhaps it is different with a center bath, but I cannot confirm that. Your water lines should be attached to the inner skins of your trailer running behind cabinetry and such which makes accessibility difficult. The most common places for leaks are connections, unless of course you have been in freezing conditions. The water lines are inside the trailer. If it was below, it wouldn't be protected from freezing and protected by the heating system. Just my 2 cents. Hope that helps.

Sneakinup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 08:10 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1958 18' "Footer"
Idyllwild , California
Whoa! slow down a minute, try not to take anything apart because it is much much much harder to put it back together.
My '58 had flared soft copper water lines and it had numerous splits in the tubing...possibly from freezing. I found places where I could simply plug the line to help isolate the problems.
If this is from the city water supply you should be able to cap it behind that area. Next look again for the leak and cap something else off and look again.
If it is coming when using the freshwater tank then you can add some food coloring (not yellow!) to help you find the source.
You can also used a camera to get into areas that are too small for us to get into.
Good Luck....
1958 California Built 18' #18-4092
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f106...on-122678.html
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 02:10 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Ft. Lauderdale , Florida
Just spent this weekend repairing 3 water leaks in the Land Yacht. Main city water fill line blew out where it connects to the pressure regulator. Fixed that and found the toilet flush assembly spraying a fine mist behind toilet. After both those were fixed found the bath sink leaking much worse than before at the base of the lever. Got a repair kit from Home Depot for Delta faucets and its like new.

Lesson from all this.......do a better job of winterizing or take it south for storage next year!!
Old 04-12-2016, 07:43 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Water lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
Yeah, the lines cross the trailer under the floor. But you may not have to take out the floor. If you can get to both ends of the leaking line you may be able to just push or pull a new line in beside it. You should be able to access the line where the hose comes into the camper under the bed in the rear compartment on top of the floor. I would look hard for another way before I took out the belly pan. I would look at running new lines with PEX to replace anything that is leaking. Did the trailer freeze? You could have a broken line under the floor if it froze. You can not take out the floor to access anything. You can cut holes in it and patch it back up.
You're a genius Bill! Now, what do I do with this hole in my floor??? Lol
Old 04-12-2016, 07:45 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Broken water line!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1997 View Post
Just spent this weekend repairing 3 water leaks in the Land Yacht. Main city water fill line blew out where it connects to the pressure regulator. Fixed that and found the toilet flush assembly spraying a fine mist behind toilet. After both those were fixed found the bath sink leaking much worse than before at the base of the lever. Got a repair kit from Home Depot for Delta faucets and its like new.

Lesson from all this.......do a better job of winterizing or take it south for storage next year!!
Yes, all of the above Mike! Thx