Old 02-18-2012, 07:33 AM   #15

1974 27' Overlander
Houston , Texas
Thanks again for all of the great information, I am still kinda confused, I have a 27' 1974 Rear Bath, My Airstream has the International Sign on the side, but is it the Overlander also?

Old 02-18-2012, 08:10 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Saint Joseph , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneelan View Post
Where do I get a copy of the Manual that these pics come from?
I recently purchased the Owners Manual and a Service Manual on CDs from Vintage Literature Reproductions. The Service Manual was $13.99 plus $2.99 for shipping and handling. I think the Owners Manual was the same price. I strongly recommend you purchase them for your "new" 74 model.

Old 02-18-2012, 10:59 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Summit , Mississippi
Inlandrv.com has the replacement tank. I have a 1970 27' International Overlander with the rear full bath and I had to replace mine as well due to age causing the plastic tank to get brittle. I got a black one from Andy at inlandrv.com. As far as how to do it? I lowered the front jack as far down as possible and raised the rear jacks as far as possible making sure the unit was stable. I just started taking it apart by dropping the rear belly skin enough to expose the box that houses the tank. It was in bad shape so I had a sheet metal shop down the street fab me a new one. Bought new styrofoam at Lowes and cut it to shape to fill the gaps and insulate the tank from cold. After that I just took it all apart and put it back together in reverse order. While I was at it I replaced the dump valve new from inlandrv.com, cut out the dropped belly skin and replaced it with a new sheet of sheet metal and replaced the supporting crosss member angle iron pieces with new improved ones that required drilling some new holes in the main frame. Also replaced some rear exposed floor rot by splicing in a new piece and installed a new toilet. Had to use some rubber hose clamp type sleeves to reconnect the ABS black plastic black tank vent piping. If you are not fairly advanced with handyman skills you should let a RV repair place do it for you. It will almost asssuredly require some self applied adaptations to make it all work but I saved a ton of money doing it myself and feel like it is better than the original.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:23 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Saint Joseph , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummitAir View Post
Inlandrv.com has the replacement tank. I have a 1970 27' International Overlander with the rear full bath and I had to replace mine as well due to age causing the plastic tank to get brittle. I got a black one from Andy at inlandrv.com. As far as how to do it? I lowered the front jack as far down as possible and raised the rear jacks as far as possible making sure the unit was stable. I just started taking it apart by dropping the rear belly skin enough to expose the box that houses the tank. It was in bad shape so I had a sheet metal shop down the street fab me a new one. Bought new styrofoam at Lowes and cut it to shape to fill the gaps and insulate the tank from cold. After that I just took it all apart and put it back together in reverse order. While I was at it I replaced the dump valve new from inlandrv.com, cut out the dropped belly skin and replaced it with a new sheet of sheet metal and replaced the supporting crosss member angle iron pieces with new improved ones that required drilling some new holes in the main frame. Also replaced some rear exposed floor rot by splicing in a new piece and installed a new toilet. Had to use some rubber hose clamp type sleeves to reconnect the ABS black plastic black tank vent piping. If you are not fairly advanced with handyman skills you should let a RV repair place do it for you. It will almost asssuredly require some self applied adaptations to make it all work but I saved a ton of money doing it myself and feel like it is better than the original.
Thanks for the good information on your successful remodel. I've decided to purchase a couple of aftermarket tanks in order to increase the gray water storage capacity. One of the on-line vendors has tanks will better utilize the available space between the floor and belly pan than the OEM tanks. They will also spin-weld female pipe thread fittings where I need them for drains, vents, and inlets for a small additional fee. Since I'm doing a complete rebuild of my bathroom anyway, this seemed like a good idea. I hope I will feel this way when I'm finished!
Old 02-18-2012, 06:49 PM   #19
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Airstream played fast and furious with the names

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneelan View Post
Thanks again for all of the great information, I am still kinda confused, I have a 27' 1974 Rear Bath, My Airstream has the International Sign on the side, but is it the Overlander also?
My '74 TT is a Sovereign of the Road International Land Yacht. Years ago, the Flying Cloud was merged with the Safari. Now, the Safari model is back to being named the Flying Cloud.

All that to say, you have a '74 27-foot Overlander, rear bath. You'll find the information for that in the Service Manual.

For example, here is the frame diagram for the 1974 23' and 31' models.

Old 09-22-2012, 11:29 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Bothell , Washington
aage,

How long did it take you to install your new blackwater tank? Including underbelly removal/install?

My tank is currently out and I've finished my welding repairs on a foot long cut on it... Now I just get to start the adventure of putting it back in. Trying to get an idea of time and any "gotchas" that might come up!!

Thanks
Leo

http://ismelltexas.wordpress.com
texasbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:38 PM   #21
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
I jobbed that out, Leo. Some frame welding, new pan and hinged support rails for it, it all happened at once, couldn't say how long was spent on that alone.

I could guess that if you are doing it alone, it's going to be awkward unless you find ways to brace things up as you work under there. Full time, no distractions, probably a solid couple of days, more if you find you are missing parts as you go along.
Old 09-23-2012, 12:02 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Bothell , Washington
aage,

Makes sense. Were you able to find someone up there that worked specifically on airstreams, or did you do it at a general rv shop?

Leo

Old 09-23-2012, 08:45 AM   #23
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
It was a metal fabricator shop, a very good one. They were, at the time, making up forty restaurant trailers for Vancouver 2010. All kinds of metal-bending machinery. Very clever team that made something better than the AS plant did for me.

And, they are local to where Henri lives, which was quite pleasantly serendipitous.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:18 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Bothell , Washington
I should say so! is your tank metal? Mine is a gray plastic... Plastic welding kit worked great on it.

Old 09-23-2012, 10:28 AM   #25
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
My tanks are plastic too, I think they gave up metal tanks in the 1800s.

And no patching needed, both in great shape! The metal fabbing was pan building, framing and supports, a screen door that was split, and so on.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:57 PM   #26

Santa Clara , California
Aftermarket tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhutch74ly View Post
Thanks for the good information on your successful remodel. I've decided to purchase a couple of aftermarket tanks in order to increase the gray water storage capacity. One of the on-line vendors has tanks will better utilize the available space between the floor and belly pan than the OEM tanks. They will also spin-weld female pipe thread fittings where I need them for drains, vents, and inlets for a small additional fee. Since I'm doing a complete rebuild of my bathroom anyway, this seemed like a good idea. I hope I will feel this way when I'm finished!
Hi,
I have a similar project and need any advice I can get... Did the aftermarket tanks work out for you? Where did you purchase them?
Can you share some pics?
Dumbo
Old 03-13-2013, 01:00 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Bothell , Washington
Dumbo,

I spent a few hundred repairing the black tank on my 74 sovereign just to later decide to install a natures head composting toilet..... which I love!!!! If you think composting may be an option, check it out!
We are full timing, I can confirm, odorless with proper installation.

Old 06-23-2016, 10:56 AM   #28
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
murphy , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
If you have a full (rear) bath model, it goes something like this:

I have a 74 31'. Rearbath sovereign. And everything in that picture was missing from mine. Both tanks holding pan all piping. So i have no idea what they looked like or where to get the parts to replace them. Anyone have photos of what they look like installed?