Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-24-2013, 08:53 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
San Gabriel , California
Black water smell

I have been experiencing a very bad black water smell on our 2013 AS 25 FC FB. It seems very odd and the dealer looked down the vent a problem. No solution.
The toilet and vent are on the left side of the trailer. The smell is in the closet on the other side between the shower and the frig. We have tried tank deodorizer with formaldehyde and immediately smell the deodorizer in the closet. Any suggestions? This is getting old for a new trailer.
Please help...
John T.
clicker187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:56 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
San Gabriel , California
Forgot to mention the strong smell is present if we're parked or moving. The smell comes and goes. It doesn't matter if the tank is low of high volume.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:24 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Our 2012 FC 25' is the front dinette version.

There is an "air admittance valve" under the closet in the plumbing line from kitchen sink to shower. I think it is there to replace a normal p-trap in the shower, probably because it is too low to drain otherwise.

I wonder how tight these little spring-loaded flappers are. They are not legal for plumbing in some states, but okay for others and rv's. Could this valve be allowing the odor to escape?

After use, it's always good to flush the grey water system well to clean things out to preclude some of the fermentation.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:30 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I'm not sure how to test the air admittance valve. Maybe temporarily wrap the top of the valve, then pour some deodorizer down the drain to see if it smells?

We sometimes get some odor too if I don't flush things out good. The p-traps can stink after time if not clean.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:47 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Tracy , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Our 2012 FC 25' is the front dinette version.

There is an "air admittance valve" under the closet in the plumbing line from kitchen sink to shower. I think it is there to replace a normal p-trap in the shower, probably because it is too low to drain otherwise.

I wonder how tight these little spring-loaded flappers are. They are not legal for plumbing in some states, but okay for others and rv's. Could this valve be allowing the odor to escape?

After use, it's always good to flush the grey water system well to clean things out to preclude some of the fermentation.

doug k

We had the same issue with our unit. I found that the trap filter was MISSING from the factory! I also found out that they can be defective. Make sure everything is loose so they can vent WHEN NEEDED, not all the time.

To err is human. To arrrrrrr is pirate.
altamont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 05:48 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
San Gabriel , California
Seems to be the "Air Admisence Valve" might be the problem. The shop we took the rig to suggests the design might be flawed. Why would you put a air escape valve in the living compartment? So far, we put a heavy dose of holding tank deodorizer into the grey and black water thanks and filled them half full. Then empty this morning. I will be returning the rig to the repair station this morning. Maybe Airstream Mothership will have a repair/suggested fix.
John T
Old 06-28-2013, 06:59 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Houston , Texas
I had the same problem in my 2002 ASCL 31' for about 1 year; then I noticed an occasional drop of water from the corner of the holding tank cover; took it into a dealer and it was determined to be the seal where the black water slide valve attached to the black tank; they R&R'd the seal under warranty and all has been well.
withidl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:35 AM   #8
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Sounds like shop has to pull tank and fix properly... surely they want to fix
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:55 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
San Gabriel , California
AS customer service contacted an independent RV shop to repair our rig. According to the independent RV shop Airstream Customer Service said the auto valve failed and should be replaced. In absence of actual replacement part the independent RV Shop replace the valve with something purchased at Home Depot. I guess they adapted the part to the AS since it wasn't the actual fit. This was Airstreams warranty solution in absence of the actual part. AS paid for the repair and Home Depot parts.
John T.
Old 06-29-2013, 12:04 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
San Gabriel , California
Purchasing a part at Home Depot and putting it on my 2013 AS trailer seems a bit irregular. I'm happy to continue oh my journey but this whole thing seems inconsistent with the proper way for Airstream Corporate to solve the problem.
Should I request the proper part be replaced when I return to home base?
Old 06-29-2013, 12:14 AM   #11
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by clicker187 View Post
Purchasing a part at Home Depot and putting it on my 2013 AS trailer seems a bit irregular.
Not all parts come from Airstream. Airstream actually make very little,it's more of an assembly plant, fed by many subcontractors. Especially in plumbing items.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicker187 View Post
I'm happy to continue oh my journey but this whole thing seems inconsistent with the proper way for Airstream Corporate to solve the problem.
Should I request the proper part be replaced when I return to home base?
Wait and see if it works first.