Old 06-13-2015, 01:37 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
Our 67 Overlander has no grey tank and no flush system. I usually estimate 3/4 full on the black tank, fill rest of way with water and dump. Then leave valve open, fill toilet with water and flush 3 times to ensure nothing is caught in the valve slide. If at a dump station, I open the rear window and do the above using the hose with no end.

Old 06-13-2015, 04:19 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Yorba Linda , California
Wow. Great tricks everyone. Thanks.

Old 06-13-2015, 05:52 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
The Geo Method, currently giving this a try. Too early to tell how effective it is.

https://sites.google.com/site/cbruni/

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 06:06 PM   #18

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
If you dump your tank full, as others have noted, there is no overriding need to use the rinse. I tend to wait till I'm at a full hookup site and prior to departure on my last trip of the season I hook up the tank rinse. I did without such a valve for 14 years with my SOB and never had any issue regarding the tank. I typically add a gallon or so of water into the tank after dumping and put in some of the holding tank chemical (I use the environmentally friendly stuff).

I almost believe that Airstream added the rinse as a "nicety" signifying a premium trailer. If you follow the fill the full tank dump procedure, you'd probably never would miss not having the rinse attachment.

I wonder how many folks have failed to blow out this valve when winterizing. I know the first 3 years I owned my Classic, I never did, nor do I know if any of the plumbing serving this valve holds any water after the hose is disconnected.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 08:35 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGolden View Post
Another old trick (my 87 has no hose rinse provision for the black tank) is to put a bag of ice cubes down the toilet after emptying the tank at the campground. The solid cubes will scour the inside of the tank and get the junk that's stuck broken free. Then the cubes melt and it's all liquid happiness that you can dump at the next stop six hours later.
There is a great Youtube video by a guy who tests RV things and ideas on the subject. Bottom line, it does not work. Sounds good, but his plexiglass tank shows the poor to non existent results.

Someone here posted the URL a few weeks ago. I am not a youtube search expert and have no idea how to find it again.
Old 06-16-2015, 08:14 AM   #20

Fenton , Missouri
Black water flush question????

Thefitrv.com. Is the site. Pretty good. He does one whole segment on ice cubes. The take away is that ice cubes don't work. It's the water and soaking that do the trick. He does another segment trying 4 different tank cleaning devices. Bottom line the built in sprayer does the best job. He's going to be doing a segment looking at the effectiveness of holding tank chemicals.

Go to you tube and search for Thefitrv. You will see a list of his videos.

Jack
AIR #56
Old 06-16-2015, 08:34 AM   #21
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Like some others here, I carry a bunch of different hose diamiter fittings I picked up at Home Depot.

If I had a good experience at campground, I will usually just leave it attached so others can use it. Just a few bucks.

Another thing I do when I arrive at destination is take a quick drive or walk to dump station just to see the status of mechanicals, water preasure or drain that may be clogged with poop. I don't like suprises in this area!
Old 06-16-2015, 08:08 PM   #22

Fenton , Missouri
Black water flush question????

Heck I've been surprised at full hookup sites. Stayed for a week at a site with no problems. Gray water drained fine all week. When I left I went to dump the black water. The pressure of the flow started pushing my friction connection out of the pipe. I ended up having to shut the drain down. I went to the office to report the problem and they said, oh yeah when that line was run, the angle wasn't quite right. We are eventually getting it fixed. Geez!

I filled the black back up and dumped at the camp ground dump station on the way out.

Jack
AIR #56
Old 06-16-2015, 08:57 PM   #23
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Jack,

At that point I would have directed exit end of my sewer hose into their office and said "oh yeah when that line was run, the angle wasn't quite right. "

Love and kisses.

Jonathan
Old 06-16-2015, 09:19 PM   #24

Fenton , Missouri
What's interesting is that I really did like the campground and the area. We've stayed there 3 additional times since then. On one of those return trips I got the same site. When I realized that I went back to the office and asked if they ever fixed the sewer line. I told them about that first stay. The gal grinned and said yep we reran the line. I can tell you that I had some trepidation, but when I dumped the black tank all was well....

Jack
AIR #56
Old 06-21-2015, 11:28 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
2008 30' Classic
On The Road To Wherever We End Up , Traveling the USA
Back to the OP's question...here is a picture of that Blue Gizmo. The actual name is Water Bandit. Just used is again this morning at Kejimkujik NP in Nova Scotia.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	219.0 KB
ID:	241229  

https://instagram.com/silvereagle3100/
SilverEagle6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 08:03 AM   #26
DBJ

2003 25' Classic
Currently Looking...
Bend , Oregon
Black water flush question

We used our 2003 25' Classic for the first time last weekend. After draining the grey and black water I did the black water flush. But I quickly stopped because I was unsure if I was doing it right. How much water do you need to use for the flush? Also, do you keep the black water valve open during the flush? The small amount I used did not drain from the black water tank. There was also some water from the flush coming out of the bottom of the trailer. I wasn't sure if I was doing it right so I quit. Any thoughts?
Thanks.
Old 06-26-2015, 08:33 AM   #27
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Keeping the valve open during the flush is one method. I think it will not provide enough flush power to do a very good job. BUT, and a very big but, if you choose to close the valve be careful to NOT get tempted to walk away and get distracted doing something else. ( Don't ask how I know ). If the valve is closed you will add water to the black tank and when you do open the valve you get a high volume rapid discharge that will help to extract the contents. The end result of closing the valve and walking away will not be pretty so take this caution seriously. A light flush with the valve open is better than none at all so you decide how you wish to proceed.

Now, another option that has worked nicely for me is to get a Flush King. My first AS did not have a tank flush so this accomplished the same thing. It's a valve that fits on the discharge and has a hose fitting upstream that you can rapidly add water to the tanks and quickly do multiple high volume flushes. I still have mine and use it a few times a season and for a final flush at the end of the season.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 01:53 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Pacific Palisades , California
Polarlyse has it spot on.

We used to flush with the valve open, which was definitely a help. But we went back and read the Airstream manual (oh, who would think to do that!) They advise doing it with the valve closed. BUT!!!!!!! DO NOT FORGET!!! You are going to be filling up the black tank from outside and won't be looking at any gauges...

My trick is to set the timer on the smartphone I always carry with me--four minutes works well if you know that you can hear the timer. (We actually checked, with my lovely watching the water level rise in the black while I stood outside ready to shutoff, and 5 minutes seems to be fine, but I certainly wouldn't go any longer. Airtstream recommends 3 mins.) The challenge is that some of us just can't be patient, and will start some other task, and then....

So when the timer interrupts you and you go "now what was that for?" you can run over and open the valve first, then turn off the water. If I have time, I may do the whole flush thing twice--good to keep those sensors clean so they don't need to be replace and you don't have to otherwise clean out the tank.