Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-05-2012, 09:48 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Woodinville , Washington
Exclamation Black water dump valve on 27' FB Safari 2007

On a recent camping trip I dumped the black water and flushed the tank and closed the valve but the valve handle stoped about 1/2" before it could be secured by the handle locks. I checked to see if the valve was closed and it appears to be ( no liquid comes out unless you pull the handle all the way out), yet the handle is not all the way in. I was looking how to get to the valve and hence the question. Can I get to it by dropping down the cover pan only or does all the plumbing and tank drop down when the cover bolts are removed?
Marisue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
I am pretty sure that the tank and plumbing will not drop if you remove the belly pan.

Having said that, this has happened to us...a wad of toilet paper had become lodged in the shut off valve... Before dropping anything, I would try to flushing the tank vigorously... and perhaps even squirt a hose up there (after it's been drained and rinsed) with it open to see if you can dislodge anything. Cover yourself head to toe and be ready to close it quickly. If you have a Flush King or similar back-wash system it would be easy to do. In our instance it took about 3 completely full black tanks of water to dislode the paper...

Then if that doesn't work, go to more extreme means.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 06:00 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Woodinville , Washington
Thanks for your input. I have a factory installed "No-Fuss-Flush" system and have always used it, also as you suggested a vigorous flushing from both ends with the same results. I procured a extension mirror so I could look inside and around the corner with a flashlight and there are no obstructions. I suspect the valve gasket has somehow caused the inability to completly close the valve so the handle can be locked securely. It does not leak but I need to fix it so looks like the pan will have to come off, if I can do it. Looks a little tricky where the valve handles and main pipe come out from the pan. When you are retired you have all the time in the world!
Old 07-07-2012, 08:13 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Woodinville , Washington
TBRich had it right!
I droped the pan and the tanks were thinking of droping down too so I jacked them up separately. Took the valve apart and found a small bit of toilet paper wadded that was really stuck in the groove so the valve would not fully close,even though it did not leak. Cleaned out the groove, applied pertloeum jelly liberaly on the seals and reasembled the valve. Also lubed the plunger rod. Now I have a very smooth operating black water valve. Buttoned up the pan and all I need to do now is caulk the living daylights out of all the front axcess slots to the valve plungers and the main dump pipe! Overall it took about 4 hours of laying on your back work. The tp might have disolved over time and more flushing but this made sure.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:08 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Glad that's solved! Good job!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 04:35 AM   #6
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Just wondering.....

Would the wand of a power-washer have gotten to the offending toilet paper?

Bob
Old 07-08-2012, 11:13 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Woodinville , Washington
It would if the wand was flexible. The main 3" dump pipe goes in about a foot then a 90 degree left turn for about another foot to the valve. You might get lucky and keep swiveling the nozzle at the end of the wand . . .
Old 07-19-2018, 12:53 PM   #8

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Imperial Beach , California
Marisue, what type of valves are used on you 27' I have a 2007 25' Safari and having same problem with not closing all the way. I think replacing is the way to go but wondering which valve to buy, THedford or Valterra.
Kristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 09:34 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Woodinville , Washington
Dump valve

It is probably Valtera since that is what the outlet cap says.
Check yours to be sure . . .
Old 07-21-2018, 06:25 PM   #10

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Imperial Beach , California
Thanks Marisue. After cutting access panel to reach valve it was Valtera. Gonna order from Amazon now. Appreciate you info.
Kristo is offline   Reply With Quote