Old 09-27-2014, 01:29 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member
2011 27 FB International
Tucson , Arizona
Angry Black tank valve issue

Three weeks into a 4 week trip in a 2011 27FB, I dumped the tanks yesterday for the 6th or 7th time this trip. The black tank handle will not go all the way back in. It remains about 3/8ths to 1/2 inch from allowing the little retainer clips from engaging. I tried moving it in and out a number of times on occasion quite forcibly. With water in the tank from the sewer sweep, it seems not to leak, but this is a puzzle. I've duct taped the handle closed for travel but this is simply wrong.

Also considered reseating the handle depth with the little retaining nut, but it's always closed properly until now.

Ideas? Paper stuck in the valve? One of my wife's Cottenelle wipes?

What do some of you pros think? Solutions?

The Ice Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 01:43 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
If cottonelle wipes - stop doing that immediately! Dispose of those in a trash bag, not your black tank.

Suggestion: next time you're ready to empty the tanks, be sure black and gray are 100% full. Empty the black and let it drain really well (say 5 full minutes which will feel like an eternity. Don't close the black valve. Lift up your stinky slinky at the trailer connection so it's about a foot higher than the connection and open the grey valve for 15 seconds them close the gray valve and drop the slinky on the ground. This action pushes some grey water in to the black tank from the sewer hose connection and can loosen up clogged paper and waste that are stuck on your valve handle. Do that 2 or 3 times and if needed, close the grey valve, fill the grey again and repeat.

Definitely don't put anything in there except thin, dissolvable toilet paper (and your poo :-) ).

Good luck!

SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 02:18 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
Good advice SteveSueMac. Trying to back flush the black tank valve with water flow from the gray tank may free the clog. I might add I like to let the gray water "soak" in the black tank for a few minutes. (you will look good standing there holding up your slinky hose). And I might try to open and close the black tank valve now that you have water on both sides of the black valve which may loosen the clog. Open the black tank and close the gray tank and drain the black tank. Now repeat the process until both tanks are empty.

Try this a couple three times. The clog may wash free.

dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 02:49 PM   #4
Rivet Master
1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Use a water hose from the exit side and wash out all the funk if the above flush does not work. I have a thing that I never have used that the PO left and it is a piece of pipe with a right angle nozzle on it to clean those valve seals.

perryg114 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 05:24 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member
2011 27 FB International
Tucson , Arizona
Thanks. My intuition said the same re Cottenelle - but never a problem in the past. Now I'll try the "Slinky Dance."

Other thoughts and solutions appreciated, meanwhile, we'll likely dump Monday afternoon after a 200 mile trip through Western Montana mountains.
The Ice Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 11:03 AM   #6
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Use your tank flush to fill your blk tank with water to get a max flush. I also have and use a flush king valve. Does the same thing but works a bit faster. NOTE. Don't walk away while filling. The result could be traumatic and something you will remember flor a loooong time.

Roger in NJ

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote