Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-06-2016, 01:46 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Placitas , New Mexico
Black tank to gray tank conversion. Is it possible?

I haven't posted here in years but I know the fine folks on this forum will have the answer.

My beloved 23foot '72 Safari hasn't been on the road in over two years due…illness and then death of my life partner. Even though I don't have a tow vehicle my dreams of returning to the road are very much alive and, since I can't go anywhere, I "travel" vicariously through the forums. Also, if I can't travel maybe I can putter.

I've made the decision to give up on my always troublesome toilet and get a port-potty. Since my '72 doesn't have a gray tank I'm wondering if it's possible to convert the black to gray. And yes, I searched and couldn't find a thread on this issue. My lack of a gray water tank was the subject of a notorious thread here on the Forums many years ago when we were kicked out of a campground for using a BlueBoy.

The lack of a gray tank was always a problem and if it weren't for that, my trailer would be perfect.
Old 02-06-2016, 04:18 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Anywhere , USA
We don't have a gray tank either on our '67. I've been considering converting to a composting toilet so we could use the black tank as gray only (currently the black takes both). My only thought is that unless the tank is brand new, it will need to always be treated as blackwater.

Another option I've considered is just adding a gray tank...I know some have done but I have no idea how much it costs! We'd have to pay someone. We don't have the time or place for extensive projects right now.

I'm sorry to hear your partner passed away. I cannot imagine. You may have seen the thread by Lily&me called A Different Life II. Her husband passed and she now travels on her own with her dog.

"wherever we go, we're always home"
Diogenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 04:32 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Most black tanks of that vintage are above the floor. Where grey tanks in '74 and newer are below the floor.
You would not be able to use an above floor tank because it sits higher than the shower/tub drain.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 05:20 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Anywhere , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
Most black tanks of that vintage are above the floor. Where grey tanks in '74 and newer are below the floor.
You would not be able to use an above floor tank because it sits higher than the shower/tub drain.
Ours must've been modified by a PO because the black tank is mounted under the floor beneath the rear bath toilet.

It definitely receives gray water because it has been known to overflow into the shower. A nasty newbie scenario.

Where did the gray water go in pre-'74 trailers?

Old 02-06-2016, 06:42 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Placitas , New Mexico
I suspected it might not be possible to use the black as a gray since it sits at floor level. Just seems like there should be some kind of work around.

Thanks Beth for info about a Different Life II. I see she has an Airstream van. The big challenge when it will be Jupiter&Me is learning to back the trailer. I did all the driving and towed in some pretty challenging places, but backing in…. I just couldn't figure it out and my partner would always take over for that part because he was a master at it.
Old 02-06-2016, 07:08 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
If the black tank is above the floor it could be plumbed in for the sinks, the tub/ shower would back up. I say, just stick to the camp grounds that will allow use of the blue boy.

Traveling? Pick pull through sites. Also, anyone can learn to back up a trailer, just practice and give it time.

On the Airfourms there is a single traveler group.
Old 02-06-2016, 09:38 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Anywhere , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu_Hwy_Lady View Post

Thanks Beth for info about a Different Life II. I see she has an Airstream van. The big challenge when it will be Jupiter&Me is learning to back the trailer. I did all the driving and towed in some pretty challenging places, but backing in…. I just couldn't figure it out and my partner would always take over for that part because he was a master at it.
I totally hear you about backing up! Even without the Airstream attached, I am backing-challenged. The visibility with our TV is practically zero! I dream of a backup camera...

I've seen people on here mention trailer driving schools and backing in empty parking lots. I need to give it a try.

Old 02-07-2016, 07:33 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
When backing with the coach hitched you should learn by using the mirrors. Not turning your head and looking back.
It is always safer to have an assistant.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 02:07 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1970 25' Tradewind
anderson , South carolina
Adding gray water tank

Quote:
I have a 25ft 1970 AS that I added 35 gal tank from another rv with not too
Much trouble. It is apps. 8 in deep and mounted just behind rear wheels
Backed up to the cross member. Added one cross member and one inch
Wide straps. I added a dump valve to the tank abs end cap. I use a 1in flex
Hose looped up to the regular drain for Gray water entrance. Just remove cap
To fran. Works well Cost was $35 for the tank and extra metal $10. Took
A couple hrs to fab up. Bob Cooke
Bob Cooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 02:13 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1970 25' Tradewind
anderson , South carolina
Adding gray water tank

Quote:
I have a 25ft 1970 AS that I added 35 gal tank from another rv with not too
Much trouble. It is apps. 8 in deep and mounted just behind rear wheels
Backed up to the cross member. Added one cross member and one inch
Wide straps. I added a dump valve to the tank abs end cap. I use a 1in flex
Hose looped up to the regular drain for Gray water entrance. Just remove cap
To fran. Works well Cost was $35 for the tank and extra metal $10. Took
A couple hrs to fab up. Bob Cooke
Bob Cooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 11:00 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
You will need to go back a while as my '66 Trade Wind has it's black tank under the floor in the rear. It is 'factory' and small....about 11 gallon capacity. Grey tanks did not appear until '73 in some models....all models beginning in '74.

Neil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 11:05 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Hello there....can I jump in here to say that we met a number of years ago at a rally at Casini Ranch in northern Cal. So sorry to hear of your loss.....I remember the big blue truck that he used as your tow vehicle.

Neil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote