Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-22-2012, 09:39 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Lake Wales , Florida
Argosy started leaking near input of hose

I connected my hose to my 1976 Argosy today and the water started leaking out of a hose right next to my inlet. The system is in the corner of my trailer and I having a hard time seeing it through the bathroom sink or behind the power inverter. It is not the two twist valves in corner. Looks like there is some sort of fitting that the hose is attached to that is leaking heavily. Is it some sort of pressure valve and if so how do you get to it to replace it? I am camping right now and need help please...
susans69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Might be a drain valve open. If the pressure relief valve is stuck open, those can be opened up and the valve closed and then be reassembled. If the city pressure is WAY high the valve might just be doing it's job. Try reducing the flow WAY down and see what happens.

Whatever's wrong it'll be easy to fix. It just may be hard to get at. Can you fill your water tank and get by using your electric pump? Or does that flow back and leak too?
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:09 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Do you have an operating water pump. If so, fill up the fresh water tank and turn on the pump. There is a good chance it has a check valve or back flow preventer.
A$ installed all the plumbing before the cabinet work, making it very difficult to access certain things.
Another fine design was to put the converter in the same area as the water plumbing.
Are you sure there was a washer inside the fitting where you connected the hose?
Is it leaking inside the trailer?
Has the trailer been in a cold climate where it might have froze?
Check for leaks under the cabinet if you get the pump running. Make sure the converter has not been exposed to the water.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:16 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I also agree with split rock . There may be excessive water pressure. The regulator may be relieving the excess pressure. The only thing that will happen if you try to close the flow down is the blowing out will be reduced, but the pressure will still be high.
If you are near a hardware store you can get a pressure regulator that will screw on to the end if the hose. Max pressure should be 40 psi.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:18 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
I also agree with Splitrock, but from a different angle. I recently had all of the various pressure regulators (one for city water as well as one for the rest of the system) fail this year. Darn trailer was dribbling water from either city water or having the pump on.

Paid to have it all replaced this winter which meant pulling out the bathroom closet.

Tom
Old 04-23-2012, 09:40 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Lake Wales , Florida
Unfortunately my 12v water pump plastic part where hose attached broke before my trip so it is inoperable right now. Yes, there has been a slow leak under sink, I just noticed it when checking on problem. I have found 3 shut of valves(red handled) and all are closed. Trailer has been in florida several years. Previous owner let sit for 3 years. I tried turning on hose very low and still leaked. I will try to get to pressure relief valve and check it. I think my power inverter is not working properly and plan to replace it soon. Presently it is disconnected. The water supply is at a state park. One seems to have a back flow valve and the other is leaking through handle. Thanks for all the info, I have no choice but to repair problem myself and I am not very good at plumbing. I guess it is time to learn.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:49 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Lake Wales , Florida
PS...I also wondered why they would put the electric and water next to each other...I learned in 3rd grade water and electicity don't mix...
Old 04-23-2012, 12:56 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
The good thing about Airstream trailers . . . they only have three areas to give problems: water, electricity, and everything else.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:58 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Lake Wales , Florida
How do I repair the valve when I get to it?
Old 04-28-2012, 07:05 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Have you determined that it is the pressure relief valve?
Is it leaking inside the trailer?
Can you describe what the valve looks like? Is it like an upside down cone with a bolt or tee handle with a lock nut?
If it is blowing water out the tube thru the bottom of the trailer, you may be able to set it to a higher pressure and it will stop leaking. If you do that, you need to get an external pressure regulator that attaches to the hose.
Access is difficult and if it is copper pipe. You will need the right tools to make repairs.
I take it you have not repaired or replaced the pump.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:40 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by susans69 View Post
How do I repair the valve when I get to it?
I removed the valve and took it to the shop bench.

I just took the 4 bolt cover off mine and the valve was stuck open. There was a shoulder above the seat and the edge of the plunger was caught on the ledge, holding the valve open. I just moved it a little with a flat screwdriver and it dropped back into the seat and it never leaked again in my testing. I reused the original gasket with no leaking.

I figured somebody gave the system a shot of shop pressure compressed air and slammed that valve open so hard that it was forced out of it's seat.

I had to take everything apart back there anyway and clean out all the grass and gunk. Before I knew the valve was stuck open I didn't have any water getting in at all. I cleaned everything out and turned the water on and then the valve just dumped the water on the ground.

All in all, it was an easy fix, but my system was easy to get at since my trailer has a center bath.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:44 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
You might just try giving it a whack with a stick.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:04 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Lake Wales , Florida
OK. I have access to the pressure valve. Which one is it, the one the hose the water is running out? How do I remove and repair it? Thank you.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:11 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Lake Wales , Florida
I have repaired the water pump(yea)! No leaks in system as far as I can tell. I am assuming it is the pressure valve stuck open as no matter how high or low the water running into the hose it still leaks from relief valve hose. I can get to the item now. looks like it is removable since it is threaded pipe. But I don't see how to open it. Sorry I am not very good at plumbing....but I am learning....
Old 05-01-2012, 03:28 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Are you saying when you are on city water there is water running out of the hose thru the belly pan? If so, I'd say it's the pressure relief.
If you install an external pressure regulator. On the end of the hose. Your problem should be resolved. Use a pressure regulator rated at 40-50 psi.
When I installed new plumbing (PEX) in our trailer I removed all the drains. They are never in the low spot anyway. I use an external regulator as well. That way when it fails it's easy to replace. I do have a water heater bypass system and if course a pump. Other than that, there is a city water shut off valve and a house water shut off. Both are manually operated.
I believe in the "KISS" theory. Keep it simple stupid.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:41 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Lake Wales , Florida
Do I adjust the screws on the valve?
Old 05-03-2012, 12:01 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
If you are referring to the pressure regulator. The is one screw or bolt on the top, in the center. It will have a lock nut on it. Turn it clockwise to increase the water pressure and counter clockwise to decrease the pressure.
Regulators are preset at the factory. There should be a label with the preset pressure shown. 50# plus or minus 10# is the usual range for an RV.
Is is blowing water out the bypass tube thru the floor?
Old 05-04-2012, 12:19 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Lake Wales , Florida
I will try adjusting it, thank you. I was going to buy new parts but they were expensive.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:46 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Lake Wales , Florida
What would happen if I just capped the leaking end, removed the pressure valve, replaced it with a backflow preventer(or straight pipe} and put a pressure valve on the outside hose?
Old 05-06-2012, 03:33 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
All the pressure relief valve does is control the damage in case of an over pressure situation. The plumbing will provide (uncontrolled) relief in the absence if a pressure relief valve. I actually don't want an elbow to blow out under the sink when I'm gone for the day.

I see no reason why a substitute arrangement wouldn't work. Instead of messing with a substitute location for a pop off valve, I'd just repair or replace the original.