Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-01-2009, 08:15 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Biloxi , Mississippi
Anyone ever use a shower drain pump?

Just curious if anyone has ever used one of these in their A/S?

Shower Drain Systems > Pumps > Rule - ITT

Since I'm remodeling the interior of my trailer, I'm trying to avoid putting unnecessary holes in my new floor. My thought process is if I use one of these for the bath sink and shower, I wouldn't have to install a p trap for both of those drains. Will this still keep the odors out?

Your thoughts are appreciated.

'75 31ft Airstream Sovereign

Come check out my restoration progress:
https://crazycorpsman-silverbullet.blogspot.com/
CrzyCorpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 08:19 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrzyCorpsman View Post

Since I'm remodeling the interior of my trailer, I'm trying to avoid putting unnecessary holes in my new floor. My thought process is if I use one of these for the bath sink and shower, I wouldn't have to install a p trap for both of those drains. Will this still keep the odors out?

I think the odors would still be there.

If you do install that pump, you will have defeated the "self contained" uses of the shower, since you must have power to run the pump, which is really an unnecessary drain on the batteries.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 08:28 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Yep, I used one. Nope, not in an Airstream. Pre-Airstream we did boats and one of the fleet was a Holiday Rambler House Boat. The original shower was raised so the floor was above waterline and the drain ran out the side of the hull.

Back on subject...the powersump seemed like a perfect solution but it was high maintenance. Sometimes the pump didn't prime so ya had to cycle a power switch to get the thing going, often several times during a shower. The cheap-o bilge pump didn't like dried hair at all.

The power use isn't a problem...if your tring to be no-power for the shower, the freshwater pump does't fit the equation either.

No real problem with odors if you do use a P trap, just like a holding tank.

Mount the unit where you can easily get the top off for maintance if you do use one.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 08:40 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Biloxi , Mississippi
Sounds like it might be more of a pain in the butt than just using the ol' fashioned p trap. I was just looking at possibilities to not have to cut holes into my floor. I guess I could just make a raised shower platform and get a back ache when I take a shower

I'm still looking at an all-in-one shower/toilet setup to open up some more room inside. Just don't know how I'm going to run the shower drain, as the black water tank will be right below the floor.

'75 31ft Airstream Sovereign

Come check out my restoration progress:
https://crazycorpsman-silverbullet.blogspot.com/
CrzyCorpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 09:25 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
I use that one for pumping the drain water from the sinks into my gray tank. There is no odor in my application. The gray tank is 35gal above floor and under a bed. The Black tank is also 35gal and under the other bed. For the shower I use a small self priming pump which is turned on to shower and off when done. This is a low wattage pump and only uses power when on. This allowed me to use the original corner bath from my 59 with above floor tanks for winter use. Also have a marine head for the same reason.
I think I used this one for the shower but will check if you need. http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|51|299222|315122&id=673589
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 02:09 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Anyone ever use a shower drain pump?

While I haven't completed this project yet, I plan on installing somethin along this line so that my Minuet's shower can finally be included in the self-containment feature. The 6.0 Metre Minuets have an above floor gray water tank so the shower was never intended to be connected to the gray water tank.

I may consider the same solution with my '64 Overlander when I get around to implementing some sort of gray water containment system. It is further down on the list for the Overlander as black water tank repairs are first followed very closely by new axles.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 02:36 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrzyCorpsman View Post

I use that unit on my sailboat to pump the greywater and keep it out of the bilge. I still need traps to keep the odor within the system, it is just a smaller tank. Your would just be adding another maintenance item and violating the KISS principle. If you have to pump uphill it works great, if you do not have food particles in you greywater I would think the odor would be minimal. In a marine application the conditions are different, a clean bilge makes for a happy boat.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote