Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-03-2002, 10:11 PM   #1

Question Another Winterizing Question

I need some clarification on winterizing please. Does anyone have any strong feelings about which is best. Should I drain both waste tanks and leave the main drain valves open ?? OR is it better to leave the main valves closed and put RV Anti-freeze in the tanks??

Thanks for any help.
John
JWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2002, 05:57 AM   #2
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
If nothing else keeping the valves closed will stop any opportunistic little critters from making a home there. I have also read that the antifreeze will lubricate seals.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2002, 07:01 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Lightbulb Drain

John,
I agree with the above, drain the tanks and, then close the drain. You might also want to consider keepin your drain "flapper" open in the bottom of your toilet. I've placed a "crushed beer can" attached by a shoe string in it's throat to keep it open. I tie the shoe string to my towel rack just behind the toilet. The beer can's contents is consumed on the spot..lol
I always put a little (pink) RV antifreeze in each of the drain bowels as well..(kitchen, bathroom and, shower)
This may seem like an overkill but, I also remove the shower wand plus leave the controls open..
footnote:
I drain the water from everything and, then attach compressed air (40 to 50 psi)to the city water intake and, continue this until step until it's blown dry~!! (even the hot water tank) This step is done first before adding any antifreeze.
just remember to close everything up in the spring..lol
Hope this helps..
ciao
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote