Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-19-2015, 12:33 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Airstream sewer hose storge canister

My new 2016 Silver Cloud will be built & ready for delivery by mid June. We will be leaving immediately traveling 1300 miles to attend a graduation & I'm trying to get everything I need ready before hand so as to minimize last minute confusion. Before purchasing a sewer hose I need to know the length & diameter of the storage canister. Can anyone help me with that. Also is the hose a tight fit or is there ample room around the diameter. Finally what hose & connection do you use.

Thanks, Joe
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 12:40 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
I store ours in the rear bumper compartment. Hate to admit it but this is our third AS and did not even know there was a round storage area under Airstreams until we got our second one. I have used it and I've pushed in a 20' hose, BUT, I cannot have any kind of angled or large campground connection on it as it won't fit into the tube. Which is why I use the rear bumper area which actually holds a 20' and a 10'.

Enjoy.

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 12:43 PM   #3
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
By canister do you mean a white PVC tube attached below ??? If so a standard 10' hose will accordian itself short enough to fit in. Mine fits in with a transparent elbow on the attachment end and a 90 deg. elbow on the other ( with the detachable horn removed). You might find that the Airstream has a different attachment than the hoses. If so you will need an adaptor ( thetford on the airstream end to Valterra on the hose end). These are readily available. Eventually you will probably just want to cut the Airstream end off and glue on a valterra coupling. It will make life easier for you at dump time. The transparent elbow simply adds to the enjoyment of the dump experience plus lets you see the outflow and know when the water is running cleaner indicating a good flush.

Good luck with your new trailer. See ya on the road sometime.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 12:46 PM   #4
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Haines , Oregon
Joe, your dealer probably offers a starter kit with the trailer. Ours was a part of the deal. It should have most of the things you need immediately. I keep a 10' Sewer hose in the underbelly tube, and two more in the caboose.
Drathaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 01:01 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
My hoses will not fit in the hose tube, they get stored in the rear bumper.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 01:37 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We don't use the big slinky, a Sewer Solution instead. It travels in the pickup bed with water hose, water softener, electrical cord, chocks etc.

Looking for a good use for the slinky storage tube.

cheryl
ckottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 01:42 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckottum View Post
We don't use the big slinky, a Sewer Solution instead. It travels in the pickup bed with water hose, water softener, electrical cord, chocks etc.

Looking for a good use for the slinky storage tube.

cheryl

I'm seriously thinking of a collapsable outdoor shower curtain setup. Can't figure out how I want to do it yet but I'm thinking some PVC pipes, shower curtain and suction cups to attach to the side of the trailer - all in a kit that could fit in that tube. Has anyone done that?
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 02:55 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
You might find that the Airstream has a different attachment than the hoses. If so you will need an adaptor ( thetford on the airstream end to Valterra on the hose end). These are readily available. Eventually you will probably just want to cut the Airstream end off and glue on a valterra coupling.
New Airstreams as the poster has, have had only Valterra fittings for a number of years.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 10:16 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
I built mine out of a 4" white PVC sewer pipe keeping the bell end since the hose fitting may not go into the straight pipe. I glued in a 4" threaded adapter and use a threaded cap on one end and a standard cap on the other. I just strapped the tube to the uncder belly with copper strapping that Plumbers use for hanging pipe and waste lines
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 10:21 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Matthews , North Carolina
The Valterra Dominator (10 foot section) fits in the factory tube...checkout the following discussion:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...ml#post1609655
daboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 12:26 PM   #11
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrjkq View Post
My new 2016 Silver Cloud will be built & ready for delivery by mid June. We will be leaving immediately traveling 1300 miles to attend a graduation & I'm trying to get everything I need ready before hand so as to minimize last minute confusion. Before purchasing a sewer hose I need to know the length & diameter of the storage canister. Can anyone help me with that. Also is the hose a tight fit or is there ample room around the diameter. Finally what hose & connection do you use.

Thanks, Joe
Your trailer should come with a 10' drain hose with a fitting on the trailer end and no fitting on the discharge end.

I still have my original one and still use it for dumping tanks at a dump station. It's really all you need for that situation.

If you anticipate staying in full hookup sites, you will want a hose that is:
a) longer
b) more damage resistant, since people will step on it and it will leak after being dragged along the concrete or asphalt a few times.
c) equipped with proper fittings on the discharge end.

I use a separate hose because the extra length and fitting just get in the way at a dump station. I am currently using a 15' Valterra "viper" hose for this purpose, $45 at amazon including all the fittings and caps. It will fit in the hose carrier by itself, but I don't believe it will fit along with the 10' hose that came with the trailer. This hose is extremely well made and worth the money -- flexible, easy to use, no leaks, no sharp edges, tough.

I bought a "sewer solution" but only use it when I dump tanks at my house, where I have to deal with a slight uphill run to the drain. On the road I don't find it convenient to use.

I had a Rhino Flex hose once and it died the first year after someone tripped over it. It does not fit in the tube because of the oversized fittings.

I also carry a 5/8" diameter 25' rubber garden hose, and adapters for the trailer end and discharge end, which is sometimes useful in full hookup sites, for greywater. I also carry a very inexpensive 3"x 20' vinyl drain hose with fittings at both ends, as a spare and for full hookup sites where the drain is poorly located -- those are good for only a few uses before they start to leak but sometimes that's enough.

I stay in some dodgy places and carry more freshwater, sanitation, and electrical connections than most people need.
Old 04-20-2015, 12:29 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Hailey , Idaho
Paiceman has it exactly right, especially re elbows etc. I use the compartment in my back bumper for the honey hose, and use the transverse storage tube for fishing rods. I imagine dachshunds and Pomeranians could fit in there for longer trips as well. jon
B00merang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 05:05 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
GILBERT , Arizona
I have a 2015 25ft and got the RHINOFLEX 15' fits in the tube and a 5ft extension if needed in the bumper
dames7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 05:12 PM   #14
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Haines , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by B00merang View Post
Paiceman has it exactly right, especially re elbows etc. I use the compartment in my back bumper for the honey hose, and use the transverse storage tube for fishing rods. I imagine dachshunds and Pomeranians could fit in there for longer trips as well. jon
Hmmm, a sewer house is $20, a good fly rod starts at $200. My fishing gear doesn't go in the belly tube...
Drathaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 05:41 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
My Pomeranians are too fat to fit in the tube....they ride in a secure dog crate in the backseat of the TV. I suspect they are not standard size pommies. But they do love to travel with their human-dominated pack. 😀

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote