Old 12-14-2015, 02:45 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Sulphur , Louisiana
Unhappy Afraid to sit on toilet

New member. Warning noob questions.
I just purchased a 76 Trade wind. The toilet in in the back seems wobbly. Is it supposed to do that? Not a crazy wobble. It just seems like if I sit on it (250lbs) Im going to crush the pedestal it sits on and fall through the black tank that is seems to be attached to. Is there a metal or wood support under the plastic floor Im not seeing?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bathroom.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	167.3 KB
ID:	253857  

Old 12-14-2015, 03:07 PM   #2
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Reminds me of the fellow I worked with 25 years ago. He was so proud of the house he bought. I remember him telling me it cost $14k. I remember the average cost of a small house in our area was 50k or so.....Two weeks after the purchase, the toilet fell thru the floor while he was sitting on it.

Old 12-14-2015, 03:08 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Might be rotten. ��

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 03:54 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
I'm not sure how similar your '76 and my '73 may be in terms of the way the toilet is mounted, but the bathroom layout looks identical. On my trailer, the black tank sits on the floor, and has a 3/4' piece of plywood on top of it. Over the plywood was a plastic cover, and the toilet bolted onto the flange on top the tank. I suppose the plywood was so that if you stepped on the tank next to the toilet your weight would be dispersed. Anyway, the weight of the individual sitting on the toilet was definitely directly supported by the tank itself. When I disassembled this whole business, I found that the top of the tank near and around the flange was cracked, either from age or use/user weight. Anyhow, when I put it back together, I intend to support the weight of the user mechanically rather than just relying on the tank to do the job.

good luck!
Old 12-14-2015, 04:41 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
If the floor flange gives, you probably would only drop about 6 to 12 inches as the width of the wider section of the bowl will spread the load over a greater area Might not solve the problem but at least you know you will still be in the camper, find the water shutoff valve ahead and you won't loose all your fresh water supply and can enjoy the rest of the stay using the facilities elsewhere. A good reason to carry plasitic sheeting and duct tape
Old 12-14-2015, 06:41 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobkatbry View Post
New member. Warning noob questions.
I just purchased a 76 Trade wind. The toilet in in the back seems wobbly. Is it supposed to do that? Not a crazy wobble. It just seems like if I sit on it (250lbs) Im going to crush the pedestal it sits on and fall through the black tank that is seems to be attached to. Is there a metal or wood support under the plastic floor Im not seeing?
You are sitting on a 40 year old piece of brittle plastic with a small amount of 40 year old plywood reinforcement. You bet you are at risk of breaking that thing while sitting on it! I think you should explore replacing that part of your trailer with something newer and sturdier. Of course, such a repair probably opens up a real can of worms so best of luck.
Old 12-14-2015, 07:14 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
grants pass , Oregon
oh Crap this is going to be a pisser ; )

Your toilet is much newer (dometic 310).so it has been replaced at some point.

Try to see if the bolts are tight.there are two, at 9 and 3 O'clock.

1987 Avion 34X

1985 Avion 30R
Airline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 07:18 PM   #8
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belegedhel View Post
I'm not sure how similar your '76 and my '73 may be in terms of the way the toilet is mounted, but the bathroom layout looks identical. ...I found that the top of the tank near and around the flange was cracked, either from age or use/user weight.
Exact same situation, here. Exactly.

I replaced my tank with one mounted beneath the floor...but in order to use the same exact fixtures when I re-assemble, there will be a plywood box under that cover, where the tank used to be.

With the original setup, all of the weight of the passenger is applied directly to the threads on the tank...which are not nearly strong enough to support the weight of an adult. There is no reason that that "slab" on top of the tank (which does little to nothing) couldn't have been just a little wider, then supported by legs, so the weight of the passenger is transferred to the floor, rather than the tank flange/threads.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 12:09 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
I would guess that the floor is a bit soft. I would recommend removing the john and check the wood. If it's bad (soft or rotten) replace it. If not, replace the gasket and screw her back down. My 2 cents worth.
Old 12-15-2015, 02:16 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
There should be 2 bolts, one on each side of the toilet, kind of hidden you can tighten and help with the wobbles.
Old 12-15-2015, 06:49 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1993 25' Excella
Venice , Florida
Take the toilet off & replace the flooring/3/4 plywood that it sits on. But first, make sure it is not leaking.
Old 12-15-2015, 07:56 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
Stone Mountain , Georgia
Carefully take the toilet off, after shutting off the water, unhooking the lines and taking pictures of the bolts etc. Examine the plywood cover. If it isn't nearly new, get as large a piece of marine grade plywood as will fit in the space, and depending on how the toilet is bolted down, a slightly thicker plywood if possible and not interfear with anything, and retire the old plywood. Rebolt the toilet carefully, then in a few days carefully retighten the bolts as they may have loosened slightly. Sit on the toilet. Does it seem more secure. If so hook up the water lines. If not, your problems are more structural and go deeper. Hope that isn't the case.

WBCCI 2456 Georgia Unit 32
1990 Excella 29' Centramatics
2016 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 2500 HD 4x4
6.6L Duramax + Allison, 3.73 axles
dcasr is offline   Reply With Quote