Old 07-19-2008, 06:03 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
tumwater , Washington
Access to bathroom plumbing

We need to address some leak issues in our 75 Argosy, and we aren't sure how to access the pipes in the back under the bathroom without tearing out the bottom. Do we need to remove the toilet, or take out the panels under the trailer?

Thanks ahead of time for any help you can give.

stacy

Old 07-19-2008, 09:28 PM   #2
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Which pipes? Fresh or waste? Black waste or grey waste? Hot or cold fresh water?

Old 07-19-2008, 10:13 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

You should be able to access the fresh water lines (copper) through the closet and under the bath sink. There are no fresh water lines under the toilet. The shower pipes run behind the plastic back wall and are nearly impossible to get at without removing that portion of the wall. If the black tank drain is the problem, it can be seen through the rear bumper compartment. The black tank sits on top of the floor under the toilet, but the outlet is on a portion of the tank that drops through the floor. If you working on the fresh water lines, it helps if you're a small person with eyeballs at the ends of your fingers! Darol
Old 07-20-2008, 01:18 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
tumwater , Washington
leaking problem

I believe it's the black water tank, but I can't be sure. It seems to be coming out from under the shower area. When we tried to fill it water dripped through an old rust hole or something at the very bottom right corner of the back of the trailer, directly under the shower, but we can't be sure where the leak is exactly unless we can see it all.

thankyou for your responses
Old 07-20-2008, 03:05 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Which tank were you filling? Black (toilet) tank? Grey water tank? Fresh water tank? Try pouring some water down the shower drain. If that leaks out, the p-trap under the shower has most likely been frozen and cracked. The only water under that corner of the trailer should be shower drain, black tank, or possibly from the fresh water shower pipes/faucet but that would only show up if the fresh water system was pressurized. We need more information to diagnose this trouble. Darol
Old 07-20-2008, 03:56 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
tumwater , Washington
leaks

I dumped some water down the shower drain, and while it seemed not to drain very quickly, water did leak out of that same general area, after a while. Maybe it is the P trap, though I don't know what that is! We're completely brand new at this and I've never owned a trailer of any kind, so thanks for being patient with my ignorance!

So, it almost sounds like we would have to pull the panel off of the back to get a look at it. I really don't want to have to do that, and busting up the inside of the shower on a guess doesn't sound very good either.

thanks for you help, it is SO appreciated.

I'm at work right now, so I can't be sure what tank he was filling, but the hose was in a hole in the back. Sorry so vague.

If anyone has any idea where I can buy a service manual for the 75 Argosy on-line (as opposed to ordering from Secretarial Services), it would be much appreciated.
Old 07-21-2008, 06:35 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
old mystic , Connecticut
From one newbie to another. If you have to pull the pan down, beware there could be lots of nasty "stuff" up in there. This is what we found, and it wasn't pretty! At least the stink is in the dumpster now instead of the camper!

Annette
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream 005.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	342.8 KB
ID:	64183  
Old 07-22-2008, 01:03 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
tumwater , Washington
Dear Lord!

Thanks for the warning! I've ordered a repair manual, and have the use of a plumber to check things out for us once we pull the back panel off.

God, I hope it doesn't look like that when we open her up!

Thanks for your response.

Good luck yourself!

maxi28
Old 07-22-2008, 06:00 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
old mystic , Connecticut
Maxi28,
for your sake I hope not too. If it's in one bay between the floor stringers it probably in between all of them. Then for your health I would pull the whole pan down and get the mess out. Our AS had sat for 28 years so let's keep our fingers crossed that you have better luck. Let us know.
Annette
Old 07-22-2008, 08:50 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
Try this...drain everything so the dripping is done. Put some food coloring in a couple of gallons of water and pour it through the tub drain. Put some paper towels or something white under the leak area and see if it is the food coloring. If so, you can start to figure out the next step.
Tom
Old 07-23-2008, 02:56 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
tumwater , Washington
Thankyou both! I wondered if there was a test of some kind. Food coloring! That's perfect. I'm really counting on the plumber to get us through the rough stuff. So, if we drain everything, then fill it up again with some food coloring water, it should be pretty clear.

Annette, thankfully nothing smells bad, so I'm guessing our problem isn't as bad as yours was. We have inherited a little pet in the form of a mouse that has lived in perfect luxury until now. Somehow he's lived off of the scattered pasta and lately, our dogs food bowl outside for all this time. We're going to live catch him and set him free into the wild.

Thanks again.

You guys are awesome. I love this forum.
Old 06-04-2009, 01:05 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Petersburg , Virginia
I see this thread is from 2008, but if you're still looking for a service manual, try ebay. I found one on a CD-ROM for under $30 (including shipping). Service manuals are $60 on the Airstream site.

Tags
bathroom, leaks, plumbing, toilet