Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-10-2017, 08:51 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Anacortes , Washington
A mistake hooking the city water

While I was unhooking, leveling the trailer sort of details, my wife took care of the shore power and water hookup. Something she's done quite a few times. After about 10 or 15 minutes we heard fairly loud pops and water was gushing from the AS roof and down the sides on either ends of the awning. It startled us to say the least, and I rushed over to the water hookup and saw she had accidentally connected city water to the AS black water tank connection port!

We didn't have sewer connections at this site, so the tank drains were closed, meaning all that water backed up. Fortunately, we had drained our tanks before arriving. The toilet did fill and overflowed a little, but fortunately not a lot.

I'm not sure what the loud popping was. I'm also not sure if we did any damage.
We were in the middle of a road trip and on other days, a trickle of water came off the roof at the end of the awning. But not all days. At sites with water hookups, this dripping would happen with city water turned on, but ended sometime after I turned the city water off.

Any words of advise, or things I should look at?
Thanks.
Pat Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 12:12 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Newtown , Pennsylvania
"advice?" I work on the outside. My wife works on the inside. What't for lunch, Hon.

Bruce
PD9160 converter, Prosine 1800 inverter
2x Victron 100/30 Smart Solar, Victron Smart Shunt
AstroBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 07:06 PM   #3
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Bad time for someone to play 50-50.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 07:22 PM   #4
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Pierce View Post
We were in the middle of a road trip and on other days, a trickle of water came off the roof at the end of the awning. But not all days. At sites with water hookups, this dripping would happen with city water turned on, but ended sometime after I turned the city water off.
Are you sure the water dripping off the roof wasn't just condensate from the AC unit?
ITSNO60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 07:31 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
The color of dripping water?.....better plug that water connection...
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 07:51 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
I've accidentally done this before too so don't feel bad. They are very close to each other on my trailer. It almost sounds like the water backed up into the black tank vent to the roof. Maybe the popping sound was the vent cap breaking.
Old 07-15-2017, 07:56 PM   #7
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Noise could have been the water hitting the vent cap rather than breaking it. Life if full of "interesting experiences". Open a cold beverage bottle and relax ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 09:42 PM   #8
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroBruce View Post
"advice?" I work on the outside. My wife works on the inside. What't for lunch, Hon.

Bruce

Wow.

On another note the water from the roof is likely from the roof vent for the black water tank. Sounds like you really filled 'er up!
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 10:25 PM   #9
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Pierce View Post
While I was unhooking, leveling the trailer sort of details, my wife took care of the shore power and water hookup. Something she's done quite a few times. After about 10 or 15 minutes we heard fairly loud pops and water was gushing from the AS roof and down the sides on either ends of the awning. It startled us to say the least, and I rushed over to the water hookup and saw she had accidentally connected city water to the AS black water tank connection port!

We didn't have sewer connections at this site, so the tank drains were closed, meaning all that water backed up. Fortunately, we had drained our tanks before arriving. The toilet did fill and overflowed a little, but fortunately not a lot.

I'm not sure what the loud popping was. I'm also not sure if we did any damage.

Any words of advise, or things I should look at?
Thanks.

I agree that what you heard is probably the water hitting the vent caps. In theory it coulda broken something up there, so it might make sense to climb up there and take a look... but I'd bet no permanent damage was done.
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote