Old 11-08-2016, 03:48 PM   #21
2016 FC27FB - F350 2017

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Lauderdale , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to Vitaver
Is there a real chance that water may flush from the trailer back into the gray hose?

Vitaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 03:52 PM   #22
2016 FC27FB - F350 2017

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Not going to call anyone stupid for their choice of hoses. I drank from green and black garden hoses for years. Still alive and kicking.
I do occasionally run a little bleach thru all my hoses to keep the little beasties under control.
If that makes them happy... Not everyone has a life.

Old 11-08-2016, 04:19 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitaver View Post
Is there a real chance that water may flush from the trailer back into the gray hose?
Yes, the back-flow preventer anti-siphon vacuum-breaker valves are just as subject to failure from grit etc. as is the water pressure regulator.

The old plastic ones in the black water flush system were known to fail. The newer brass ones -- less so apparently. Ours leaked but is buried under the bath vanity counter, so we haven't swapped it out yet, with the new brass one sent by the dealer under warranty.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 06:54 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Palomar Mountain , California
"Gastro-intestinal bugs are no fun."

Once you've been there, you'll never be lazy again about it - ask any soldier that's been in the field!
Silver Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 07:38 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
I always use the white RV hoses for potable water, but I often wonder how important it really is.

Is not the issue related to the duration of time the water remains in the hose to potentially leach out nast stuff from the plastic? Would not that take some considerable time?

If you let water run a bit before pouring ay for consumption wouldn't that be a mitigating factor?

Heck, I sure drank enough water out of a regular garden hose as a kid and I'm far from that now and still here! (Kiddin' - I'll still use the RV hoses just to be sure!)

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 07:47 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Newport , Arkansas
we have camped where the non- potable water came from lake, river, or well , while the potable water came from a city or rural water district supply. to be as safe as possible we now disinfect all hose and supply spigots with bleach solution and use Water Right brand hoses to be as contaminant free as we can. as an added benefit these hoses are super light weight and come in lots of colors! pricey but well worth it...
eggman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 08:47 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Unhappy Don't drink from Purple

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietguy View Post
Agree. Many municipalities (I'm thinking SW FL where I spend the winter) provide both potable and non potable water to all consumers. The non potable is typically connected to home irrigation systems or other consumers (think car wash) as the non potable water while still metered is paid at a much lower rate than nonpotable water. No way would I use a faucet labeled "non potable" just because I didn't believe the campground, rest area, truck stop would have two separate lines!!

Some places have dedicated non Potable lines for irrigation and maybe toilets and stuff that have water that hasn't gone through the 24 hour Chlorine treatment and extra debugging. These lines are PURPLE. You might note a Purple fire hydrant, or a Purple PVC line behind the toilet; that aint a designer's funkshway, that's non Potable water. I noted that at the Jackson Rancheria RV park and have seen it used on various jobs sites I'm inspecting at. In short,

DONT DRINK FROM THE PURPLE SPHIGOT

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 09:45 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
golden valley , Minnesota
white hose

I always thought the white color was so that the water in the hose would not warm so much from the sun. Less heat less bacteria and other stuff.
Old 11-09-2016, 06:02 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
The blue hoses I buy are made by Camcorder and are specified as RV drinking water hoses.
Not sure there is a hard core color code.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 08:34 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
Walnut Creek , California
A hose

White has always been the symbol for sanitary conditions going back to Florence Nightingale days. Unless I am wrong, there is a color code for hoses. Just like carrying containers. White for water, red for gas, yellow for diesel. But aw yes, you will always find someone putting water is a red container and saying there is no problem. As far as our travels we use bottled water for all of our personal use. It tis no fun having a problem on a trip.
Elbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 10:16 AM   #31
Site Team

, Minnesota
In food and beverage use, the accepted color for drinking water is blue, or white with a blue stripe.
I wouldn't use them for anything else due to possible contamination.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 05:29 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Hawk View Post
"Gastro-intestinal bugs are no fun."

Once you've been there, you'll never be lazy again about it - ask any soldier that's been in the field!
Vietnam, had the bugs for a couple of weeks, went from 145 lbs. to 119 during that time. That was one of the most miserable times of my life.

You are 100% right, I am absolutely adamant about hoses, connections etc. I use bleach to wipe down the spigots before connecting at every site. It sometimes drive my wife crazy but if you've been there, done that, no explanation/justification is necessary.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 06:33 AM   #33
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Gainesville , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaGeo View Post
Some places have dedicated non Potable lines for irrigation and maybe toilets and stuff that have water that hasn't gone through the 24 hour Chlorine treatment and extra debugging. These lines are PURPLE. You might note a Purple fire hydrant, or a Purple PVC line behind the toilet; that aint a designer's funkshway, that's non Potable water. I noted that at the Jackson Rancheria RV park and have seen it used on various jobs sites I'm inspecting at. In short,

DONT DRINK FROM THE PURPLE SPHIGOT
Or eat the yellow snow!
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 01:37 AM   #34
2016 FC27FB - F350 2017

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Thank you for your service Rich46!
Old 02-06-2018, 01:52 AM   #35
2016 FC27FB - F350 2017

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Normally can’t have more than one blue (heated) hose, which has to be used to provide drinking water and to flush the black water tank, unless one wants to go through the process of disconnecting the hose from the spigot (normally covered with insulation, tape, etc. I don’t). The trick about backflow (I was not aware of that risk) would be to keep positive pressure (spigot open) at all times the blue hose is connected to the rig, including some splashing when disconnecting. That should prevent any backflush.

The second solution is getting a dog. A dog will pickup every nasty bacteria, enzymes, etc.by their regular dog activities smelling and licking everything, including your face. Dog owners live longer because of the bacteria, etc.dogs put, literarily, in our mouths. That helps fight disease. If you don’t believe me, ask a dog.
Old 02-06-2018, 03:40 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Yes, the back-flow preventer anti-siphon vacuum-breaker valves are just as subject to failure from grit etc. as is the water pressure regulator.

The old plastic ones in the black water flush system were known to fail. The newer brass ones -- less so apparently. Ours leaked but is buried under the bath vanity counter, so we haven't swapped it out yet, with the new brass one sent by the dealer under warranty.
Respectfully - 2 uncles who were both plumbers each quoted a little rhyme about plumbing that observed
"--it doesn't run uphill"

If one is using the built in tank washers, the black tank is under the floor and the inlet for the washers is 3 feet higher. If one is careless it is certainly possible to overfill the black tank to the point that water comes out of the vent and onto the roof. I've actually seen an SOB owner do just that. I fulltime and know that I will put more stuff in the black tank within hours, so many times I skip rinsing or do a very little bit. I have used the white hose for that, but when I do make a major clean up I always use a waste hose. I also wash my hands at each major step. IMHO treat it like you're changing a baby... soap.and water are our friends.
Old 02-06-2018, 01:35 PM   #37
Zil
4 Rivet Member

Curtis Wright
Currently Looking...
Eyren Haven , South Jersey
There is a little difference with the ditty I know. Clean water pumps uphill to money, 'dirty' flows downhill to the poor.
I retired 5 years. Licensed Water Treatment Operator. I contracted with many camp grounds that had their own wells. One of many problems I had to report was lack of back-flow prevention between the hose bib at the dump station and the rest of the water system. Owners had to be pushed kicking and screaming to spend any money on improvements.
Later and now, the well educated and conscientious licensed operators are overwhelmed by the red tape and other obligations from the state bureaucrats, they are refusing to supervise the campgrounds as the owners will not pay the time required. What's left is those that can cover the "check lists and reports" but not much for physical stuff. This happens in municipal and commercial water treatment, also. It's in the news.
Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 02:53 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
It used to be the white hoses were "drinking water safe". And garden hoses were lined with rubber or who knows?

But today a hose labeled "drinking water safe" is good in any color, just don't mix them.
My latest hose is a pricey brown fabric covered scrunchy hose. Really nice connectors and approved for drinking water. It still bothers me to see a brown hose on the water inlet. It coils like a wet noodle and stores in almost no space.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	56082_3_700x700.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	191.1 KB
ID:	303679  

Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote