Old 04-19-2014, 06:26 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member
2007 27' Classic FB
Fredericksburg , Texas
A day of Plumbing problems

Had a strange thing happen today. We were getting ready to leave on a trip on Sunday. MDW was cleaning in the trailer and turned on the water pump. She heard water running in the shower and assumed I had left the valve open to drain the line while it was in storage. She looked and water was spraying out of the valve and not out of the shower head. I took the valve apart and found the plastic on the valve cartridge was broken. I assumed this happen because AS used a heavy metal faucet in the Classic line and that metal on the handle probably vibrated up and down in traveling and eventually broke. It was a Delta and has a lifetime warranty but that did not do me any good since I had to fix it today. I called Delta and they told me that both Home Depot and Lowes had the cartridge in stock. So after a 70 mile round trip and $38 lighter. The faucet is now repaired.
That was not the end of the story though. When DW pulled on the kitchen faucet to use the sprayer, the faucet wand came off the hose in her hand. A small piece of plastic that held the hose to the spray wand broke and released the hose. Another to Delta and they informed me that that plastic part was integral to the spray wand and the model I had was no longer made. Since this was just going to be a 3 day trip we decided we could get by with out the spray handle. Delta said they would ship us a new faucet under warranty that was similar to the one that AS installed. Just what I need, another project, replacing the entire faucet. At least the faucet won't cost me anything other than time. This was not my first experience with Delta. They have always stood behind their products. I hope AS has quit using these heavy plumbing fixtures. I think their weight is somehow related to the failures.

The Tex-i-can is Ready to Camp
Morgan guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 07:33 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Hey, did it freeze in your neck of the woods? The shower failure sounds a lot like freeze damage--if you don't drain the pipe above the valve (up to the shower head) the valve body is still full of water and if it freezes it will break the valve core right out of the body.

Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 06:36 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member
2007 27' Classic FB
Fredericksburg , Texas
We had freezes here but I kept the furnace turned on and the thermostat set at 40 degrees. That was my first thought about the freeze and I haven't eliminated that yet. The shower was on the north side of my shop under a shed roof and 40 degrees may not have been enough when the temperature dropped to 16 with 25 mph winds.
The Tex-i-can is Ready to Camp
Morgan guy is offline   Reply With Quote