Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-16-2015, 12:46 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Springfield , South Carolina
Smile '76 Sovereign pump does not turn on

Found a leak in diaphragm and replaced it, put it back together, hooked wires back up and pump does not turn on.
1. checked all the fuses with multimeter. Good
2. pulled the pump back out and put it on the bench and hooked the motor wires directly to a battery, runs fine.
3. Pulled the pressure switch off and hooked up multimeter and pushing a small rod in pressure opening the switch moves and breaks contact fine.

The only thing I can think of that is left is the rocker switch in the overhead panel went bad. I read in the manual the switch comes out the front and looking down overhead cabinet it has a orange wire in and out and a blue wire.

I can't find anything in the shop manual that gives the color codes on control panel wiring. Been working on it five hours and thermometer is reading 100° in the shade and the Sovereign is sitting in the sun, (are we having fun yet?)

Can anyone else think of anything left to check besides the switch? I am considering forcing it out of the panel from and replacing rocker switch with a toggle switch.
Hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 01:43 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
Have you check the pump wiring on the trailer to see if voltage is there?

Are batteries in trailer fully charged?

I am assuming you are not connected to a shoreline, or I would have AC on.

Regards,

JD

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 02:45 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Battery is full up, AC not on (checked it to make sure it was after a month storage) but I need the light from the door ! ! ! ! ! !

Shore line is plugged in.

the wiring disappears and I can't trace it. I wanted to see if I have power at the switch but prefer not to break the switch getting it out. It was working right before I pulled the pump and unplugged the two wires one to a blue wire and one to pressure switch.
Old 06-17-2015, 07:18 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
OK see if this follows. I have a hot wire coming in(pink) goes to one side of the motor. I ground other side of the motor and it runs.

Checked out pressure switch, with no pressure it has a circuit and motor runs by hooking up a test wire to other side of pressure switch and going straight to ground.

Thusly the panel switch appears to be working correctly. Off no run, on motor runs grounded independently to panel.

Checked pressure switch on bench. With switch in relaxed position it has a circuit. With pressure added to plate from inside switch circuit opens.

On the other side of the pressure switch a blue wire with a in line slow blow fuse comes from pressure switch and plugs into a in line male/female plug connector with a orange wire coming out the other end.

Evidently the pump fuse and the switch is on the back end of the circuit after the motor.

I am thinking the blue connected to orange wire must be the ground. I checked for continuity between the orange wire and the ground terminal on the master panel and there is no circuit.

Does anyone have a Jabsco PAR pump diagram for a 36800-1000?

I can't find any reference to a orange wire in my service manual

The fresh water tank is full and has Clorox in it for its first cleaning. The meter on the fresh water tank works fine.

As well the fan and panel lights are working.

Tags
sovereign