Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-30-2006, 10:09 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1961 24' Tradewind
Grass Valley , California
'61 Tradewind in need of manual

I just inherited my grandparents Tradewind and it seems that everything works in it, but I have one problem I don't know how to fill it up with
water. Dose anyone know were to get a manual for this year and style of trailer or give any advice?
woodinwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 11:05 PM   #2
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
First of all, welcome Woodinwagon. Congratulations on your inheritence. I can't think of anything better. Second, we all want to see pictures and third, that will help in assisting you with your question. Does your trailer have an angled spout in the front just left of the front window? Manuals were not available for these units until 1964. Before that time, owners received typed sheet of instructions and information about the systems from the factory. Is yours a CA or OH made TradeWind?

Post some pictures and that will help.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 11:33 PM   #3
Ledbehind

2018 16' Sport
Great Falls , Virginia
water fill

Welcome - congrats on your new obscession. Mine has a small doorhalfway up amidship with a white plastic flap door. it is in there the water goes. check out your holding tank and if there is a larger hose coming off the top that is likely your vent / fill hose - so follow it to where is seems it might exit the skin.

Henry
henrydahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 09:25 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1961 24' Tradewind
It's CA made. It looks like a pressure gauge at the front of the trailer. It has 3 pipes at the bottom in the rear. So do you fill it up in front, or at the rear where the hose connection is? Also, what did you use to polish your trailer...it looks very nice!

Dennis
Old 07-01-2006, 09:59 AM   #5
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Dennis ~

The fill should be where the pressure guage is. Should be about a 1 1/2" diameter pipe coming out at an upward angle. As you say, it has a pressure guage and this was to tell how much air pressure there was in the system because it originally used theis air pressure to push the water to the interior faucets. You probably have a Schraeder valve there too. A Schraeder valve is like what's on a wheel rim where you apply air through a compressor. Can you post pictures?

I used a number of different polishes and techniques. Worked best was a compounder for the first pass and then a Cyclo both using different grades of Nuvite. It needs to be gone over again to brighten up the shine.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Old 07-01-2006, 10:38 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1961 24' Tradewind
I can post pictures and will soon. I know I'll have many questions the more I look into it. I did find an air pump under the seat up front this morning but I don't think it works or its 12 volt and I have wood wrought under there also, but I think for a 45 year old trailer it's in pretty good shape. Well I'm going to go put water in it and hope for the best.

Dennis
Old 07-01-2006, 11:53 AM   #7
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
The water pump should be if its a factory install. Do you have a 12v battery in your trailer? Do not hook up to the city water supply with a hose without a pressure regulator. City water pressure will cause those old connections toleak everywhere.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Old 07-02-2006, 10:02 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1961 24' Tradewind
I Don't Have 12vlt Yet. How Many Lbs Of Pressure Is Normaly Run For The Water? I Don't See A Regulator On Any Of The Lines Past The Pressure Tank.

Dennis
Old 07-02-2006, 01:22 PM   #9
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
The pressure regulator would go on the city water line just as it hooks into your interior water plumbing. This diagram should help. Cold water lines in blue and hot water in red. Your '61 is probably set up differently with some of the plumbing fixtures and appliances in different locations. I set this up for my trailer.

Brad
FF
Attached Files
File Type: pdf FreshWaterSystem2.pdf (126.1 KB, 79 views)

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Old 07-02-2006, 06:07 PM   #10
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodinwagon
I Don't Have 12vlt Yet. How Many Lbs Of Pressure Is Normaly Run For The Water? I Don't See A Regulator On Any Of The Lines Past The Pressure Tank.

Dennis
Dennis, you would use a normal tire guage on the schrader valve in the cap to check pressure. Max should be 45 psi, and on that age of a coach, I would not go over 30psi until the water lines have had a chance to prove themselves.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:49 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Hello woodenwagon,
The small red air pump is made by Grover ,still sells them today ,it has a 60 psi auto shut off on the pump itself. If you have the round aluminium or galvanized water tank ,it probably has pinhole leaks at the bottom of the tank. They corrode out an leak ,The pump is 12 volts .It is an airpressure
water system .You install an outside pressure regulator in your city waterline
at the hose connection ,set to about 45 psi .I would do a check out of your system carefully.If you have a schrader valve at the front you can use outside air pressure to pump up the system if needed,but the airpump really is for that purpose.There is not a pressure regulator for the air pressure system
as the compressor shuts off automatically at 60 psi ,as you use the water,
the pressure reduces and the compressor resumes to a max 60 psi .MY system has been fully restored and I use the air system . I am very happy
with it and I can take a shower with the pump in continuouse use .Till the
hot water runs out .Now you will find if the system works the best on a full water tank .Now the city water also pressurizes thru your pressure tank ,so thats why you then need to regulate the incoming city water pressure as the
air pump is not in use ,but it all still functions the same ,as the city water is already under pressure.These old tanks can be horrible inside and send crusty crud into your faucet bibs ,you may find that some faucet packings leak or the bibs are plugged with tiny rocklike particulates ,bad tank .You should have a light switch on the wall near the street side front of your coach .IT
is the switch for the air compressor ,yes 12volt ,still uses a light switch.
Things were simpler back then . Anyway good luck on your plumbing.

Scott
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 10:01 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1961 24' Tradewind
Well I pulled the tank out and it dose have pin holes in it, as far as the air pump goes its fair sized and black it may have been replaced,I haven't hooked up the 12vlt to see it it works yet I've been pulling up floor to get rid of wood wrought from the leaky tank. Speaking of leaky tanks, is it worth it to weld the pin holes or would I be better of to get a new one? I fill I've opened a can of worms here.

Dennis
Old 07-04-2006, 10:08 AM   #13
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Since you've got the tank out and you plan on replacing the damaged floor, I would opt for a new one made out of poly. It can be a rectangular shape as opposed to the cylindrical, thus giving more gallons, if you don't pressurize it. I put in a water pump to push the water as opposed to the air compressor pump which pressurizes the tank so the compressed air will push the water out of the tank. An air compressor will not work with the poly tank as it won't be able to withstand the pressure.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Old 07-04-2006, 10:22 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1961 24' Tradewind
I've considered replacing the tank but I'm on a tight budget, are there any sites on line that have tanks and pumps for a fair price?

Dennis
Old 08-06-2006, 10:24 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1961 24' Tradewind
My kitchen window blew off some ware between Windover & Elco NV. I guess I didn't have it secured down well enough, my question is, were can I find window frames or do I just go down to my local window repair shop?
Old 08-06-2006, 10:43 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
1962 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Northern , Minnesota
Dennis,
Just google RV Tanks and you will find several sites with plastic tanks. You can buy a 12volt demand pump to push the water from Camping world or any number of RV dealers. Good luck, Brad
Bradjun1 is offline   Reply With Quote