Old 12-07-2015, 05:55 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
Tulsa , Oklahoma
40 Year Old Argosy Water Tank - How do you clean?

We began Demo on our 1975 Argosy 26 this weekend, and I've pulled the fresh water tank. It appears to be in good shape. Whats the best way to thoroughly clean the inside of the tank?

It fits the curve of the front of the Argosy, and I'd like to keep it if possible.

Old 12-07-2015, 06:32 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Fill the tank with water, add a pint of vinegar, and let it sit. You could also use bleach, or both.

Old 12-07-2015, 06:34 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
grand rapids , Michigan
My Minuet's water tank had a lot of dirt and residue in it. I first cleaned it with dish soap and warm water and used a spray nozzle on a garden hose. There was still residue of some sort in the areas I couldn't reach with the hose, so I dumped some aquarium gravel in with some softscrub and swooshed it around. The gravel scoured the residue off and the softscrub with bleach disinfected and removed any remaining mildew stain and odor. It looks brand new.
Old 12-08-2015, 12:33 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Thanks All! Hadn't thought of the aquarium gravel idea. Great idea.

--DD
Old 12-08-2015, 05:28 PM   #5
rvb
4 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Euless , Texas
scrub water tank

You could also try using crushed ice instead of gravel. Easier to get out after you're done.
Old 12-08-2015, 08:49 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
Tulsa , Oklahoma
You know, RVB, now that you mention it, that reminds me of how we used to clean coffee pots when I was a waiter back in college. We'd dump a bunch of salt, Ice, and sliced/squeezed lemons into the coffee pot and then swirl it around. We had enough salt that it kind of acted as an abrasive, and the ice chunks added solid mass that made the salt more effective. I assume the citric acid from the lemons did something too. It was actually pretty effective on coffee pots!
Old 12-09-2015, 12:32 AM   #7
rvb
4 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Euless , Texas
salt ice & vinegar

I like the salt added to the ice. It's a mild abrasive that can be used to scrub cast iron pots. Lemon is citric acid. If you add the vinegar suggested in the earlier post that is acetic acid and is a good cleaning solution on it's own. Salt, ice and vinegar might make a good, semi-abrasive cleaning solution that shouldn't harm the tank and you can just drain out after it dissolves and melts.

I've heard of putting ice in the black tank and driving down the road to knock solids loose. The salt/ice/vinegar might work to clean that tank too.