Old 08-24-2012, 02:12 PM   #1
1978 25' Tradewind
Cap City , Utah
1978 Tradewind Water problems

I took my AS on its maiden voyage last week to see what worked for us and what didn't. Some people told me we should just use it in the driveway for starters, but we wanted to get out of the city.

I hooked the hose up and the nipple on the AS broke so I couldn't get water in the trailer. Bummer.

1. I filled the tank with potable water before leaving the house, but no water came out of the spout. Do I have to run the pump or something? Or, does the city water feed "pressurize" the entire system?

2. I tried the pump a few times but realized the floor by the bathroom and twin beds was wet. Could the pump be shooting water somewhere else? Or did my fresh water slosh around while I drove?

3. I figured out how to empty my aux tank but not the main tank. I cannot get that main valve to pull out (towards the bumper). It won't move in, either. Sheesh that thing is stuck or something (unless I'm doing it wrong).

RetrogradE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 02:43 PM   #2
Rivet Master
1977 23' Safari
Niagara on the Lake , Ontario
Sounds like you have some plumbing repairs ahead, luckily the plumbing system is pretty basic.

When hooked up to city water, plumbing fixtures are supplied by the hose pressure, the pump is not used. You do need to use a pressure regulator to avoid damage to your plumbing system - available at any RV parts store.

When using water from the tank, the pump pressurizes the system. There is a swithch - probably in the kitchen to turn the pump on. Leave it on when camping, the pump is an ondemand unit and will only pump when pressure is needed.

If the pump runs continuously there is either a leak - pipe or tap, or the pump needs to be rebuilt/replaced. The pump should build pressure then automatically shut off until you open a tap. You have to open all taps to purge the system of air after winterizing or you will get spurts and bubbles from your taps and the pump may run on trying to pressurize air in the system.

If there is water comming out where it shouldn't you probably have a split pipe from improper winterization.

My 77 had a bad pump and several split pipes. I replaced all the plumbing pipe with Pex, new pump from Camping world and new taps/ fixtures. This way I know I have a system I can rely on.

The waste valve may be stuck due to waste hardning on the valve. Try adding water to the tank (don't fill it up) then tow around and try to break up the blockage. You may have to replace the waste gatevalve, but parts are available.
1977 Safari Land Yacht
2005 Toyota Tundra SR5
2010 Ford Flex Ecoboost
AldeanFan is online now   Reply With Quote