Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-11-2008, 07:15 PM   #1

1974 31' Sovereign
Kalispell , Montana
1974 Sovereign Gray Tank access

We have just bought a 1974 Sovereign 31'. (New to the forum, first posting!) I have searched the previous threads for hours! I cannot find information on how to replace a gray water tank on this model. Will we have to go through the belly pan, or can we access through the floor? The floor is still intact, but most everything else has been gutted. Thanks for any information.

Tom and Kerrie More
tkmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 08:19 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Welcome to the forums.
Is your Sovereign a mid or rear bath model? In either case, you will ave to drop the belly pan to remove the grey tank. If it is a rear bath, the grey tank is located directly below the bathtub. The dump valve is directly attached to the corner of the tank, which has a notch in it for the valve. Ther will be a bar at the rear of the bottom of the tank, you can unbolt it, if the bolts aren't too rusty, and the tank will lower on a frame which is hinged after a fashion from the front. You will need to remove the double-elbowed sewer pipe that runs from the grey tank dump valve, to the black tank dump valve, to the frame just ahead of the left end of the bumper.
Old 06-12-2008, 06:36 PM   #3

1974 31' Sovereign
Kalispell , Montana
Thanks

Thanks, Terry! This information really clears things up for us. (It is a rear bath.)

Tom and Kerrie
Old 06-13-2008, 05:02 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
Gray Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkmore View Post
replace a gray water tank on this model.

Tom and Kerrie More
What is the tank doing or not doing?
Dan@LED4RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 05:48 AM   #5
rookie

1970 31' Sovereign
Des Moines , Iowa
overlander63, nice pics & thanks for the helpful info. i'll likely have to do the same as the Mores here...
silver>gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 05:59 AM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver>gold View Post
overlander63, nice pics & thanks for the helpful info. i'll likely have to do the same as the Mores here...
You're welcome. For those of you that are "search challenged", here is a link to the thread that shows the grey tank area, pictures start5 at post #153 or so...
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f314...s-32395-2.html
Old 06-13-2008, 06:00 AM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan4odm View Post
What is the tank doing or not doing?
I'm also interested in knowing this, our grey tank has a small leak at the very top, so I'll be going in again to see if I can fix it.
Old 06-14-2008, 07:55 AM   #8

1974 31' Sovereign
Kalispell , Montana
The reason we were inquiring about replacing it is that we found a crack around the back side where the gray water "exit?" is (where it connects to the sewer pipe?). Any idea where to find a replacement or ballpark on how much one might cost?

Thanks again!
Tom and Kerrie More