Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2003, 10:25 PM   #1

Angry 1973 27 ft airstream rear bath

My graywater tank on my 1973 27 airstream starts leaking when about half full. Have never worked on it, but am adventurous. The underneath of the trailer seems to be sealed with aluminium, though it appears there is a joint that is sealed with tar or the like. Any suggestions on what to do? Also, my fridge just stopped working-- no smell of amonia, so am wondering if it is the switch, as I turned it off to defrost half the north pole, and it hasn't run since!

Any pointers or suggestions for both of these problems would be most welcome.

Leigh
LA008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2003, 05:44 AM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Leigh,

Welcome to the forum!

The grey awter tank may have a crack in it. The gray and black tanks sit in a steel pan that is held to the bottom of the coach with 1/2 inch bolts. In order to get to this tank you would need to do quite a bit of dissassembly.

The refer issue is harder to diagnoise. Need to know what type of refer it is. Manual, or automatic. Does it have a circuit board, etc.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2003, 06:08 AM   #3
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
leigh,

your grey water leak could be from the valve assembly.

before you drop the pan take a look and see if there is an access panel. it would look like a repair patch in the metal. remove the cover, fill the tank with clean water and look up into the valve area.

all it might need is a valve rebuild kit.

if the trailer doesn't have a access panel, your manual will show how to cut one in with tin snips.

might save alot of work if you don't have to drop the pan.

john
Old 10-05-2003, 09:36 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Gray Water Tank

Your problem may be you do NOT have a gray water tank. I have this exact same problem. When I mentioned it to Andy (Inland RV). he indicated that 1973 overlander's did not have a gray water tank. (Thus, the water may just be filling the tubes and then hitting some type of overflow valve.) If I am wrong -I sure hope I am - I hope someone can tell me how to do the same correction.

Do a search on this forum "gray water tank overlander" and you will see other comments on this.

I will probably be buying one of those portable tanks from Camping World.
Repodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2003, 09:50 AM   #5

Thanks for your input-- mine is a 1973 "International"--it has both a blackwater outlet and a graywater outlet, and on the internal panel, there are switches to check the level of both black and graywater which leads me to believe that there probably is a graywater tank--unless the used water stays in the pipes until drained-- however, quite a lot of water (gallons etc) comes out when I drain the graywater tank.

Thanks again and I will investigate further.

Leigh
Old 10-05-2003, 04:29 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1990 32' Excella
jonesboro , Arkansas
leaking tank

I am looking at my tech manual for 1973 airstreams.It does not show any with a grey water tank. My 73 has 2 gauges on the panel but 1 is for the potable water tank. Mine also has two dump valves in the back. 1 was added and the grey and black systems were seperated . This was done so that you could put a cap on the valve with a smaller water hose coupling on it to drain the grey water to a blue tank. This was not unusual to find a unit converted this way. Some of the plumbing when the conversion is done may be in a strain, If it is this may be where your leak is. Good luck
joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2003, 06:02 PM   #7

Thanks for your info -- just checked my manuel and it says a 1974-- it has 3 guages-- fresh water, black and gray--however, am still investigating. When I bought it they said 1973 however am still a novice at recognition. Will continue to pursue and thanks for your info.
Old 10-05-2003, 06:43 PM   #8
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
1974 was the first year that gray tanks were offered.

We had one on our 74 Overlander. Small, but better than nothing!
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2003, 08:18 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1990 32' Excella
jonesboro , Arkansas
Leak

Try gently tightening the screws that hold your gate valves on if you can get to them. you may find the top ones to be a little loose.I talked to a friend who sells and works onthem and he said that the pressure of pushing down on the valves to shut them some times loosens them.
On your frige. Check your plug for good contact in all the wires.It is in the outside compartment behind the frige. If you are not sure you have power to it plug in a droplight or a lamp or anything to check the outlet.Have you tried lighting your friges gas burner. This would tell you if it was the electric parts or your cooling unit . If it cools down on gas then you know your cooling unit was okay..If it works on gas test the elec element with a continuity meter . If thats okay Then check the continuity thru the switch.Good luck
joel is offline   Reply With Quote