Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-27-2014, 12:14 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1966 28' Ambassador
Colville , Washington
1966 Ambassador water pump leaks

We just recently purchased our first AS. It's a 1966, 28' International Ambassador. The trailer has not been used for two years. It was winterized with RV anti-freeze throughout. The "city" water system works great but the water pump for self contained mode leaks at the base where the two valves (intake/output) is. As per the original manual I cleaned the "very clogged" screen. The pump works great other than the leak. Also per the manual I removed the (4) screws that is on top of the valves, intake/output. I cleaned all of the debris and torqued the screws evenly but can't stop the leak. I've cleaned and re-torqued (3) times to no avail.

Can I apply some Permatex form-a-gasket around the surfaces ? There is no gasket between the two surfaces. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Danny
Danny Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 12:36 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Before I got my trailer my stock pump had frozen and cracked on the side of the lower case.

When I ran the pump it looked like it was leaking from the top but,,, well

You might pull the pump out and bench test it to find the true source of the leak. It is really hard to tell when installed.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 11:49 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1966 28' Ambassador
Colville , Washington
J. Morgan,

I took your advice and got the pump on the bench. I removed the motor \ top assembly and put a thin layer of silicone on the matting surfaces. Totally stopped the leak and the pump works great. I also fabbed a plastic tray that has a depth of 2", just-in-case the pump ever developes a future leak. I installed a 3/8" hose out of the bottom and ran it with the pump drain out of the belly pan underneath, to the outside.

Thanks,
Danny
Danny Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:51 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Excellent!

Sometimes having room to work makes all the difference.

I wish I could have saved my pump, I feel it is a better pump than what I replaced it with, but it is what it is!!

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 07:19 PM   #5

Hey Danny,
I just got my first AS too, also a 66 Ambassador....you have any pics of yours. Just curious
JoeGilbreath is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1966, 1966 ambassador