Old 02-26-2012, 05:22 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Valley Glen , California
1964 Safari Twin water pump wiring

Hope someone can help.

I have a 1964 Safari twin. The switch which was turning the water pump on and off has ceased to work..... or the pump has blown. I was trying to wire back in a 12 volt cigarette lighter just above it and it was connected to another white wire. It would not work with the positive or negative 12 volt wires I had run up to it so I connected both the positive and negative 12 volt to it. I left the stray white wire connected. When I went to test the 12 volt cigarette lighter with my meter it sparked. It blew out the 20 amp fuse in the back which has wires going to the water pump. I disconnected the cigarette lighter and replaced the fuse but the water pump does not come on. I also found one of the wires on the switch was loose and have since tightened it. Is the switch supposed to have some tie in with the 12 volt system? The water pump never ran before without the 110 power plugged in.

The wiring diagrams are not that detailed so I cannot tell how it si supposed to be. Any geniuses out there?

Old 02-26-2012, 06:38 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Do you have a battery in the trailer? The switch for the water pump is the +12 volt side. You mentioned some white wires. Did you by chance disconnect a white wire which would be the negative or ground/common for the pump. How did you wire the cigarette lighter socket? The tang on the perimeter is the negative and the center is the positive. Do you have water in the system? Perhaps the pump is up to pressure.
Did the pump run prior to your wiring changes?

Old 02-26-2012, 06:48 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Check to see if you have 12volts at the switch. Some systems have a fuse in the negative side of the circuit usually mounted on the skin of the trailer near the converter.
Do you have 120 volt AC power to the trailer?
Is the converter working?
If so, with the switch on, check for 12volts at the pump. If you have 12 volts at the pump make sure the negative side of the pump wiring is grounded.
Let us know what you find. If the pump worked before I doubt you have damaged it.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:13 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
1964 Safari Twin water pump wiring

Greetings Safari Bob!

Your coach was built during something of a transition year as it was the first year for the Univolt and the coach retained some of the pre-Univolt wiring features as well as advanced to the familiar 12-volt wiring for all lighting.

It sounds to me like your coach may have the original PAR (Peters and Russell) water pump. Should this be the case it may be connected to a transformer that steps household current down to 12-volt DC when connected to shore power or passes 12-volt power through when boondocking and operating off of the batery -- this is also how the electric fans in the roof vents, the range hood roof vent fan, and the furnace blower operated on the 1964 coaches. My undertanding this was a one-year use of this methodology -- and is also why we have the shore power/12-volt switch in the one-stop service compartment.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:35 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Valley Glen , California
Awesome all fixed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari Bob View Post
Hope someone can help.

I have a 1964 Safari twin. The switch which was turning the water pump on and off has ceased to work..... or the pump has blown. I was trying to wire back in a 12 volt cigarette lighter just above it and it was connected to another white wire. It would not work with the positive or negative 12 volt wires I had run up to it so I connected both the positive and negative 12 volt to it. I left the stray white wire connected. When I went to test the 12 volt cigarette lighter with my meter it sparked. It blew out the 20 amp fuse in the back which has wires going to the water pump. I disconnected the cigarette lighter and replaced the fuse but the water pump does not come on. I also found one of the wires on the switch was loose and have since tightened it. Is the switch supposed to have some tie in with the 12 volt system? The water pump never ran before without the 110 power plugged in.

The wiring diagrams are not that detailed so I cannot tell how it si supposed to be. Any geniuses out there?

Great, thank you alll.I did figure it out. I had a problem with the 12 volt connections on the switch. I think I was wrong about the 120 volt need for the water pump. It is working fine on 12 volt. Anyway it seems I disconnected a wire I needed for the switch......DUH! ....fixed it and all is well. Thank you all for your input. I love this forum, everyone is so awesome. Thanks

Bob

Tags
1964, 1964 safari