Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2015, 09:38 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1968 20' Globetrotter
Rumford , Rhode Island
We finally found and bought our Airstream

Hi Folks:
After months and months of searching my husband and I are now proud new owners of a 1968 Globetrotter!!.... And now the fun begins.

I know post pictures and we will. We would like to thank all those who have posted in the past because we know that it has already made of job easier. The exterior is in great shape but the interior needs massive help. But at least we have an idea of what we are getting into.

The story of picking up the Globetrotter will be in our memories forever. It took 2 two trucks. The small one to get it out from where it was and a flatbed to get it to the repair shop for a new axle, tires, and what ever work ends to be done on the break system so we can get it registered. It had been sitting for 10 years at least.

Towing proved to be interesting because of the clearance needed to get it down the interstate. The two guys weren't too sure about clearing some bridges. To their surprise they made all of them. Also to their surprise was that the awning opened up and fell off. They did get back all the pieces, but some brackets will need to be replaced. The guys at the tow shop were laughing at our two towers because they were tracking them on their GPS and saw them stopped on the interstate. The were getting the awning pieces. Yes the there little animal types jumping from the flatbed.

So in about a week we will start the cleanup of the AS and start on the windows and anything else needed to get it as water tight as it can be. Hey at least we planned until next spring until getting it on the road.
Mr. and Mrs. Layback
layback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 09:59 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Greetings and welcome Mr. and Mrs. LB

It gets easier…..eventually.

Under the " It could always be worse " category…..

When I picked up my trailer, I only had to move it about five miles, from a used car lot, with the owner missing in action. I enlisted the help of a friend who was a seasoned RVer, and an honest to goodness NASA rocket scientist.
We got her all hitched up and off we go. WELL….sort of. We didn't get more than a few feet……and we had a tire blowout. At first, I got all huffy. Then the rocket scientist told me how lucky we were that we didn't have the blowout a few miles down the road.

SO…..If nobody is in jail, or the hospital……you done good
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 05:54 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Welcome to the vintage Airstream hobby. You have written the first chapter in your Globetrotter book titled "Recovery Mission". The second chapter will be about the skeletons you find in the closet, literally. I think the 68 model year was pretty good for Airstream. My son has a 69 Globetrotter, but it is the new body style with different windows and a lot more plastic pieces inside.

You'll have to read some threads by aluminuminum. They refurbished a 68 Safari 22 footer. It is an interesting read, and they did a great job. Aluminuminum is an expert on the Corning curved glass windows that we have in our 66 to 68 Airstreams. You can sit in your Globetrotter and watch them leak while you read his threads on how to fix them.

You are in the right category to start a long running thread on your adventures with your Globetrotter. We expect to see posts like "wow, what a rotten floor" or "gads, the frame is rusty", or "how do I install a gray water tank". It's going to be fun.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 08:46 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1968 20' Globetrotter
Rumford , Rhode Island
Oh yes!! We do have a rotten floor in parts, but we expected it. The front door was real obvious. We didn't bother to check the back completely, we just expected some floor rot. The mechanic that towed it felt that the frame wasn't too bad.

Thanks for the pointer on the windows. That is the first thing to attack when we get it home. I have 2 panes in the car that weren't quite attached. Okay it is a fixer upper but this is my retirement project.
Old 08-02-2015, 09:50 PM   #5
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Howdy! Welcome aboard!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 06:45 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
Pullman , Washington
Welcome to the Globetrotter group! We have the most awesome Airstreams ever made (other model owners will never admit they are jealous).

Looking forward to your project photos!
Feedforward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 05:03 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
A few days back the photo upload routine wasn't working for me. Air Forums got it going again for me. Much thanks.

So I wanted to post a photo of my son's 69 Globetrotter. You can see the MAJOR changes to the Airstream body design with this model year. It looks nothing like a 68. Your 68 has a "vintage" Airstream look. Some call this the "twinkie" shape, where the 69 is more rounded like a "loaf". The new body style was very successful and lasted until the mid nineties when the "wide body" was introduced. All these changes created more interior room and more amenities.

It's great you have embarked on refurbishing this old Globetrotter. Old Airstreams never die, they just get fixed up again and again. Photos of your old trailer would be fun to see.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1009 Curbside.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	371.7 KB
ID:	244642  
Old 08-05-2015, 06:34 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1968 20' Globetrotter
Rumford , Rhode Island
We have the AS at the garage right now
, so pictures are limited. The small dent in the bottom front is it. The interior was pretty much removed and the put back in unattached when we took possession. We do love the look!!! Like I said before, the first step is to get it water tight. If anyone knows that the object that is below the gaucho parts is the vent for the space above the middle of the awning that would be great to know. The owner's manual is on its way from Airstream and window parts are also on their way.

We just want to get this as watertight as possible by the end of the summer.

Name:	20150801_103906.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	306.8 KB
ID:	244672

Name:	20150804_105651 (1).jpg
Views:	154
Size:	222.7 KB
ID:	244673
Old 08-08-2015, 04:48 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Hi layback. Thanks for the photos. You did find a very nice one. Judging from the pile of parts it appears someone did some upolstery work on it in the past.

I didn't understand your question. Maybe you can post a photo and ask "what is this gizmo?" There are odd looking parts in our Airstreams designed for a particular purpose. Especially the unique Corning curved glass windows with Phillips operators.

David
Old 08-08-2015, 09:20 AM   #10
NO HUMBLE OPINION

1968 20' Globetrotter
ANN ARBOR , THE GREAT LAKES
Hi There Mr. and Mrs. Layback,

Yup, '68 GT is a fine camper. You're lucky to find one. We've been foolin' around with ours for more than five years now. It's looking better these days, might have it close to finished in another five years. It takes me a long time to think and plan, pencil sketch, cardboard and tape, a long time to, research material and fitments, scribe, fit and finish. Lots of time in the details...

Perhaps I should have started a restoration thread years ago, but there's already plenty of rebuild information about everything, and much of it comes to personal taste, material choices, tools at hand, skill levels... It takes a well equipped shop to support a restoration. I have posted about a few points that interest me like the windows and micro-blinds, the pocket door, the heater, range-hood...

some links,

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f454...nt-111812.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f7/a...od-129180.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...ew-126474.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f7/p...ce-128019.html

At 20 feet 11 inches, 3000 pounds, it's such a versatile, cute, and nimble little tag-along, that we have not set a limit on what we're willing to spend to make it right for us. It is an exercise in enjoying process, as the finished product is years away... but in the meantime, we go camping. Camping in it as we work on it has helped tailor it to our specific camping style, which is a deviation from Airstream's marketing fantasy “family of four”. Our GT “re-do” is for two friendly adults. It fits us like an Armani Suit.

The vinyl walls cleaned up like new, we're keeping the bath nearly original, and mostly maintaining the wood theme throughout the cabin. I re-sawed all the ash gauchos and cabinets into new cabinets. We gussied up the kitchen a bit, have a dinette for two, and a trimmed to fit California king to lounge on.

Don't throw anything away. For example, those white plastic strips in the pictured "junkpile" are highly sought after, important parts of your puzzle.

There are some remarkably experienced and sharing forum members who are compelled to reply with great accuracy to well detailed, illustrated, specific questions. Their wisdom has proven immensely helpful. A good photo of your problem or achievement helps a bunch, as does a very specific thread title.

Globe Trotters Rule!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	INTERIOR BEFORE.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	499.2 KB
ID:	244915   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1698.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	233.4 KB
ID:	244916  

Name:	DSC_1699.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	231.9 KB
ID:	244917   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2605.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	236.3 KB
ID:	244918  

Name:	DSC_3041.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	254.4 KB
ID:	244919  
ALUMINUMINUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 01:13 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
Pullman , Washington
Photos of Sylvie

Here are some photos of Sylvie, our 1967 GT 20....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0381.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	244942   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0383.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	244943  

Feedforward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 06:14 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
My apologies Aluminuminum. I have no idea why I was thinking your 68 was a Safari. Maybe because it looks so spacious inside. And maybe because it has a full rear bath. Or maybe because I'm just dumb!

Anyway thanks for posting pictures and links to your Globetrotter project. They will be inspirational to many Globetrotter enthusiasts.

Set high goals for yourselves layback!

David
Old 08-09-2015, 07:45 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1968 20' Globetrotter
Rumford , Rhode Island
Hi Folks!!
That for the pics, links and encouragement!! It will be an ongoing project. Oh and you gave us lots of ideas!!
We know that it will be a work in progress. We bought a fixer uper and it took 3 years to get it to the point of where it needed to be. So we do have most of the non AS specific tools. Skill level is okay, we are not master carpenters. We know to save everything that the sellers gave us. We just don't know if we got it all.
We plan to keep the present bathroom as much as we can. Other than that it is the big debate over the sleeping area. Two would be nice, but in reality it will probably be three.
Aluminuminum, we love the kitchen and bathroom door!! Those things will be down the road. Right now we just want it ready for "something" by spring.
The GT is still at the garage waiting for the axle. The part I was asking about is the aluminum part that is located at the 'V" where the 2 gaucho parts meet. We think it is a refrigerator cover since we have a cut hole in that area. But we are not sure.
L and Mrs. L
Old 08-09-2015, 07:55 PM   #14

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
Western , Washington
Congratulations Mr. & Mrs. L!
How exciting!
What a wonderful story you will have to share in the Spring during your wanderings. Goodness! Did the tow take you across the Newport / Jamestown bridges?
I'm a little familiar with the area. I lived in Portsmouth for a few years.
Have fun customizing your space.

Life is Good!
Caroline
NiftyNurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 11:34 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1968 20' Globetrotter
Grants Pass , Oregon
Very cool... Welcome!
Ruck