Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2011, 07:59 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Trotterworx - Refurb of '66 Globetrotter

Well despite the weather we've started to work on the 66 Globetrotter. It was in pretty good shape considering, but there are enough signs of wear that we've resigned ourselves to the fact that we're in for a shell-off project with this.

I'll be working on it during weekends and evenings where available. The job keeps me moving and it has to take priority. Initial estimate is a two year project although I could see it being a bit more depending on work schedule and what we find along the way.

We considered doing a restoration, but has decided that we'll be happier with the result if we go with a custom refurb.

Here's what we started with:

Lot's of green algae, tree sap with dirt and the like ground in. The shell is in good shape with just one on the front and one fairly scratched up panel on the back.

Had to dig it out of a few feet of snow and put new wheels/tires on to get it home, but it was only a few miles and we managed it OK.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:14 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Inside

Had to clean it up a bit before showing it to Mrs wworx as she's not a fan of things that have been critter infested. Once tidied up a bit it actually looked pretty good.

But looks can be deceiving...
Old 02-14-2011, 08:19 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Layout

The original layout looked like this:

After much consideration and some advice from folks here in the forums we've decided to try to get to this:

Had to make a few adjustments to get everything we wanted to fit. The front will pull out to become a decent sized bed and since the small dinette is there we can leave the bed out if it's just the two of us for a few days.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:19 AM   #4
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
It cleaned up really well, Greg! What do you mean by looks can be deceiving, by the way?

[edit] Wow, you posted your floor plans as I wrote this email, and I am really impressed with what you plan on doing! Have you made an actual 24" x 30" space to see if you really could move around well enough to shower in it? Looks a bit tight to me, but I've never tried that size on.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:28 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Starting the process

Started this weekend despite tons of snow. With the help of my teenage son I was able to remove the two closets some of the upper cabinets and got the bath 99% undone. Just need to make up a jig to unscrew the toilet flange and get to a couple of blind rivets that are keeping the lower 1/2 of the bath from coming out. That'll happen next weekend.

Closets out

Hidden rivets under sink

Front of shower had to be sawzalled out - screws wouldn't budge

Toilet out - all but the flange

I'll continue to post bits of updates here. It'll be inconsistent in timing due to my always changing schedule. I know it's been very useful for me to see how others had done it though, so I'd like to contribute similarly. I plan to document more details of the process as we continue in the blog you see in my signature.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:33 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
It cleaned up really well, Greg! What do you mean by looks can be deceiving, by the way?

[edit] Wow, you posted your floor plans as I wrote this email, and I am really impressed with what you plan on doing! Have you made an actual 24" x 30" space to see if you really could move around well enough to shower in it? Looks a bit tight to me, but I've never tried that size on.
Looks deceiving = lots of hidden rot etc. plumbing, gas and electric have been hacked up - stuff like that.

I expect to lay it out when we get everything out to make sure it'll all fit the way I've drawn it. I know the shower will be tight, but we're not too big and I know shower pans come in that size. I'll box it out with cardboard to get a feel before I invest in the parts to make it happen. I'm sure we'll have to tweak a few things before we're done.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:19 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Got the toilet flange off last night. After learning that it's supposed to screw out of the black tank I rigged up a tool with a piece of flat steel and two bolts running through it. The bolts were aligned to the holes in the flange.

Got quite a bit of leverage, but still no luck. Had to hit the flange with a sawzall. Once I got about 1/3 of it cut off I was able to unscrew the part remaining. I think the approach with this tool would work for most situations.

That enabled me to remove the lower bath fiberglass. Then I was able to get the black tank out with just one drain pipe cut. The back is looking much more spacious without the bathroom and closets. Well on the way to blank canvas land...

Based on my upcoming schedule it'll probably another week or two before any additional progress of note is made. That is unless I get an evening burst of motivation.
Old 02-18-2011, 08:17 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by wworx View Post
... unless I get an evening burst of motivation.
You will.
Thanks for the pics.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:10 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

You're right, I did. Go the gaucho out - pretty uneventful - it's onthe blog but I won't bother with that here. Galley out too - haven't documented it yet - will get to posting that next week. It's really nice to see the space open up. The work is pretty straight forward so far - it'll start getting really fun when the weather breaks and we start trying to pull the shell off!
Old 03-03-2011, 06:24 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Got some more time in and have most of the initial disassembling completed. Updates on the blog. This gave me a chance to do a thorough inspection of the floor situation. It's in much better shape than I had expected, but we're still planning a full-monty on this one. Here's a look at the worst spot on the floor. Door seals were a mess and must've been leaking for quite a while.

We got a deal on DSI + 110 Suburban water heater from RV Parts Outlet. $299 on special rather than usual $375 (the direct link shows regular price but look at the specials page <scrolling on lower right> to see if the discounted price is still available). Most of the DSI plus 110 units I've seen are over $500 so it seemed a pretty good deal. Unfortunately it arrived damaged. They were very good about addressing it so the swap is under way. At least it's not holding anything up at this point.

A bit of cleaning and such left to do, then it's a waiting game for better weather to start pulling the shell.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:43 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1969 21' Globetrotter
Harrisonburg , Virginia
Looks like you are making good progress. I had to fight the toilet flange on our GT too, it ended up getting the sawzall treatment. Have you given any thought to graywater tanks yet? I keep coming back to the one Vintage Trailer sells.
dieselpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 08:48 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Haven't committed to a direction on tanks yet. I think our needs will be fairly modest for size. Wanted to see what we have for space once we get down to the frame before making any firm decisions.

First thoughts are:
The gray tank you're suggesting from VTS.
Will probably do VTSs fresh tank as well (original was cracked - and OLD).
Then I just need to find a 5-9 gallon black tank to put above floor.

May keep the one that was there, but it's a bit small and kinda brittle. I'm guessing I'd have more peace of mind with a new one for $100 or less. Any suggestions on sources for that?

Tags
1966 globetrotter, 20', change floor plan