Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2002, 06:33 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Towing - 1965

Can anyone tell me what the weight of the 65 Globetrotter is? I'm looking into getting a new tow vehicle and was wondering if a V6 would do the job. Specifically, I'm looking at a Jeep Grand Cherokee with a V6 4.0. Any advice?

Thanks!
65trotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2002, 08:24 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

The specs show 2980 dry. Being that you're in CA, I would opt for a larger CID (or liter) and lower gear ratio as the Rockies are inbetween you and the places you are sure to venture. Oscar
Silver Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2002, 08:27 PM   #3
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
it's here

you can go here, you'll need acrobat reader.

http://www.airstream.com/faq/weights.pdf

john
john hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2002, 08:36 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Thanks for the info guys. That helped a lot!

65trotter
65trotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 12:15 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
We towed our '64 GlobeTrotter with a Jeep Cherokee 6cyl. 4.0...it was miserable! Of course we are at elevation (mile-high Denver), but we had troubles even on the flats...maybe your luck at sea-level would be better, but I certainly wouldn't plan any Rocky Mountain trips without a V8.

Here are a couple of previous threads, #1 & #2 that discuss our experience & others.

Just my 2-cents...

Shari
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2003, 07:39 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
Towing

I previously towed my 67 with an Astro van with the 4.3 L. Do-able but not pleasent, and we are here in fairly flat land. I bought a used Econoline van with the 350 cid and a 3.55 rear end. This is much better but if I were goinging anywhere near any mountians I would change the rear end to a 3.73. Bottom line. The final drive ratios are more important than the displacement or horsepower. Also get a copy of Trailer Life when the tow rating issue comes out. You will find it very interesting.
Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2003, 08:09 PM   #7
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally posted by Silver Bullet
The specs show 2980 dry. Being that you're in CA, I would opt for a larger CID (or liter) and lower gear ratio as the Rockies are inbetween you and the places you are sure to venture. Oscar
I would not get smaller gears. Any truck that is bought today comes with a minimum of 3.08s. Most prefer 3.73s, while some like 3.42s or 4.10s. I would go no lower than 3.08. Case in point, my gears are 2.93 and are for sh** towing. They work, but not as good as the bigger gears.

In the end, the larger CID or liter engine means not that much if it can't deliver the power to the pavement. I have what I would consider an extremely potent 350 and if I go with a bigger coach, I will have to go with the 3.73s if I want to be able to successfully deal with the additional size, weight, etc of the larger coach.

Larger gears should also work well in mountains too. From my understanding most gas engines deliver torque and HP at higher RPMs than diesel, so, larger gears increase the RPMs a bit at the very least.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2003, 12:21 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Just for the record ST.....

Lower gears are representative of higher #'s. A 4.10 gear is lower than a 3.50. The higher the numerical value of a gear is "lower" than it's predecessor.

Oscar
Silver Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 06:30 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Fun-Lovin
Rivet

I have towed many things with many different tow vehicles.
From experience I will agree with everyone here. The lower the gears the better and the more displacement the engine the better. Now for something that i dont think anyone mentioned, "STOPPING" it one thing to get a load going but a whole different story on the stopping. This is were tow vehicle weight comes into play. Granted most travel trailers have electric breaks but having a heavier vehicle just adds to the overall control.
Things ive towed and with what; and some of these will be crazy
16' & 18 run-a-bout ski boats with mazda p/u 2.0L ok for short runs but wouldnt want to go long distances
jet ski with 5.0L thunderbird, no problems other than the independant rear suspention making it feel weird.
2 horse trailer loaded with jeep cj7, ok the jeep was modified with auto trans and 350 chevy but this is not something i ever want to do again. Even with trailer breaks it wasnt going to stop.
loaded 16' car hauler extimated weight 6500lbs with dodge 1500 5.2L the truck had a towing package and was rated for 8100lbs but wouldnt get out of its own way here.
28' enclosed race trailer with f-250 powerstroke, no problems here or with the 29' airstream, trailer brakes are nice here but didnt have them on the airstream first time I towed it yet it stopped well.
Thats just my penny but stopping is more important than getting started. My flight instructor once said take-offs are optional but landing are manditory.
Greg
Fun-Lovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 09:19 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
I agree that stopping is important but I don't think the proper solution is a heavier truck. Nothing against heavier trucks but

If your trailer brakes won't stop your trailer faster than your tow vehicle with stop itself alone, your trailer brakes need attention.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags