Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Globetrotter > 1965 - 1969 Globetrotter
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-12-2002, 01:11 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Lightbulb Storage Compartment Locks - 1968

Hi, all. Anyone wishing to change the locks on the side storage compartments and the rear battery cover can find locks at Harry's and Lowe's. The side compartment locks are mail box lock and the rear compartment lock is a Garage Door Lock.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 01:32 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

compartment locks

looks like i am going to head over to lowes to get me some mail-box locks. any ideas on how i could get them keyed the same?
Dave Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 02:17 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Re: compartment locks

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Cole
looks like i am going to head over to lowes to get me some mail-box locks. any ideas on how i could get them keyed the same?

Be sure that the number on the key is the same on all the locks. Cheap locks aren't worth having a locksmith rekey them.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Old 10-02-2002, 02:48 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

compartment locks

any tips on removing the locked lock? I have the univolt compartment door removed (as in, found it inside the gaucho)
but the rest are closed and locked.

I was planning to just drill out the old tumblers and try to get them open that way--by the sound of it, the now locks may come with the handles?

this thread may be worth reposting to the general repair forum.
Old 10-03-2002, 04:50 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Re: compartment locks

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Cole
any tips on removing the locked lock? I have the univolt compartment door removed (as in, found it inside the gaucho)

I was planning to just drill out the old tumblers and try to get them open that way--by the sound of it, the now locks may come with the handles?

You can use the ever trusty Dremel tool to cut them*off.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Old 10-03-2002, 09:25 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Arrow quoted you to gen. repair

hope you dont mind, quoted you in a new 'compartment locks' thread in gen. repair forum.
Old 05-20-2004, 06:17 PM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Cole

A 1/8" drill will take care of those pesky tumblers. Just take your time, and don't shove too hard on the drill. I did this myself over the weekend.
Terry
Old 05-20-2004, 06:40 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , ^
I had the same problems with my locks. Fortunately it was an inexpensive fix. First try lubricating the lock and tapping it gently with a hammer. That loosened up the corrosion in mine from not being used for so long.

To read more about it, here is the link to my original post...

Key Problem

Good Luck!

Sneakinup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 10:28 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1968 20' Globetrotter
Phoenix , Maryland
Talking Storage compartment Lock questions

I have purchased the mailbox locks to replace the existing locks for my access door. Here is the catch: I can't get the old locks out of the door. The tumblers slipped right out and the paddle that actually holds the door in unscrewed, but the outer housing will not slide out of the door. It seems that I am on the brink of seriously destroying the door by beating and prying the lock out. What is the secret here.

Sincerely,
Didgiman
Didgiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 11:21 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Lock smith STORE is the way to go here!

Hello all -

I had a similar situation and here is what I learned.

Went to a lock smith shop/store for similar locks for another hobby - Pinball machines. They have very similar locks to the compartment locks.

The store had locks upon locks!!!!

1 lock/1 key, 2 locks/ 1 key/ different keys, 3 locks..... a million locks.....

These are about, IIRC, $4 or 5 bucks a piece -- FULL set for the Pinball machine with seperate keys was LESS than $10. The multiple lock sets/1 key were in bags ready to go out the door. Just be sure to take the lock body (drilled or un) to verify size, length, and method of holding the lock. This last one seemed to be the issue with a recent poster - there are nearly as many ways to hold a lock as there are keys to it.

The "lock people" can do this with their eyes closed/crossed, while doing a crossword puzzle, if you bring it to them!

Remember that if you have a locksmith come to the trailer you are in for a substantially BIGGER price than if you walk into their place of business with a lock/key in your hand.

My .02 cents!

Peace

Axel
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 08:13 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1968 20' Globetrotter
Phoenix , Maryland
Still trying to get to the bottom of compartment locks

I now know where to get the locks and have in fact purchased them. The trouble is that I can not remove the origional locks from the origional compartment doors. I have unscrewed everything that can be unscrewed but the lock is not budging. I have done everything short of beating it out, but don't want to damage the door. Any suggestions?

Didgiman
Didgiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 09:32 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

Fond du Lac , Wisconsin
Silvertoy is right. I went to the locksmith and they were able to tell me which locks could be keyed the same and options available for replacing locks.

Changing the World One Child at a Time
www.compassion.com

hookedonclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 03:03 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
When replacing lock hardware for our new sunroom addition to our home we went to Lowe's and they lock / key staff did the repinning of the locks we bought at no extra charge. Not certain if the compartment locks can be rekeyed but all you need to do is ask them when you have locks in hand.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 07:40 PM   #14
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Didgiman
I now know where to get the locks and have in fact purchased them. The trouble is that I can not remove the origional locks from the origional compartment doors. I have unscrewed everything that can be unscrewed but the lock is not budging. I have done everything short of beating it out, but don't want to damage the door. Any suggestions?

Didgiman
My standard responce to this type of situation is "got any pictures"? The locks on my '73 poped right out (except the one for the water door, man was it a pain).

Seriously, if you supply a pic or two, including some good close ups, I'll bet somebody will figure it out in 2 seconds flat.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 08:05 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didgiman View Post
I have purchased the mailbox locks to replace the existing locks for my access door. Here is the catch: I can't get the old locks out of the door. The tumblers slipped right out and the paddle that actually holds the door in unscrewed, but the outer housing will not slide out of the door. It seems that I am on the brink of seriously destroying the door by beating and prying the lock out. What is the secret here.

Sincerely,
Didgiman
I just experienced this problem. Thought I would share my experience. Once you remove the lock cylinder, you should be able to remove the entire door. You will need to remove two of the screws that hold the door frame together, then slide the door facing out. There is a metal clip inside the door that holds the lock in place. You will never get the lock bezel out without dismantling the door panel. Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0081.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	298636   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6751.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	312.5 KB
ID:	298637  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4040.jpg