Old 03-17-2014, 10:01 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
Pullman , Washington
Solar panel

Hi,

One of the modifications I have been thinking of for the 1967 Globetrotter 20 I recently got is to replace the front window fiberglass shield with a solar panel. I found a few 80W solar panels that would fit inside the existing frame, and I'd put some Plexiglas over the panel to protect it from road debris. I'm also thinking of a couple of gas struts to help get the whole thing open (it will weigh about 20lbs total). The existing piano hinge and frame should be more than capable of holding the weight.

Anyone done anything like this? Words of advice?

Thanks,

Jeff

Old 08-01-2015, 04:43 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
Pullman , Washington
Bring on the sun!

Okay, I went ahead and decided to try this. It went really well, and I like the mix of modern and old-school on my 1967 Globetrotter!

For those wanting to do this, here is the parts list:

1ea Renogy 100W Flexible Solar Array $220
1ea 46" x 21.5" x 0.1" plexiglass sheet $ 33
6 ea Stainless 10-24 x 1" bolts, washers, nuts $ 10
1ea Windy City P30L LCD PWM Charge Controller $55
25ft MC4 10ga Battery Cable $40
23ea 3/16 aluminum rivets and backing plates $ 8
1 tube Clear silicon $ 8
Total $374

I went with the flexible solar panel to save weight. You could probably use a standard solar panel, but I was concerned with the weight. The flexible panels weighs about 5lbs. A standard panel weighs about 25-30.

The frame for the rock guard is 46x24" outside dimensions, 44 x 22 inside. The solar panel is about 41 x 21. I could not find any solar panels that would be a better fit than this.

There you have it. It took about 3 hours start to finish to remove the old panel and install the solar panel on the front of the trailer. I have not finished wiring the panel into the battery yet, it's too dang hot outside to do that now, I'll wait until later on tonite!

I hope this is useful.

Jeff
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sylvieorigianl.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	244440   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sylviesolar.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	244441  

Old 08-01-2015, 05:52 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Should work ok as long as you can keep pointed into the sun. Going to tough to do that several times a day.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 06:13 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
Pullman , Washington
Good point. When I'm camping the panel will be in the open position, and the panel will face up towards the sky. Should get pretty good exposure unless the camper is parked under a tree...
Our driveway faces south so plenty of charging power when parked at home.
Old 08-02-2015, 10:19 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
Pullman , Washington
Finished the installation, and everything is working fine. I used the hole through the front of the trailer that was previously used for the TV antenna cable to route the + and - wires from the solar panel, whichi worked out well. Once inside the trailer it was pretty much a straight shot to the battery.

I ended up mounting the charge controller (hooks up battery, solar panel and load) on the side of the trailer just above where the battery is located. The controller is not visible unless you pull up the cushion for the sofa. I ended up choosing this location because I couldn't find any clean way to route the battery, solar panel and load wires to a position up on a wall.