Well I will share my story. Please take note I am under extreme time constraints as I need to have my done in a month and we did not anticipate having to do them. So When we decided to replace 3 outriggers we had to finish it that weekend, and we did.
I hate to say it but we just ran to Home Depot got some angle steel, and welded them into c channel to the appropriate size then cut them down to shape. Mind you, we were very, very careful about making templates and getting the exact sizes down. It was then a pain to make sure they were level and in line with the others, but the finished product was actually spot on.
I am not saying that is how you should do it. And I know there is a big difference between '54 and '68. I had a few people helping me, and we needed to get it done in a hurry, just wanted to share.
You can see some pictures on my blog post... The Airstream Operating Room: The New Sutures |
Oh and as you will see the blog isn't overly serious...