Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Globetrotter > 1965 - 1969 Globetrotter
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-20-2003, 06:31 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Newbie - 1965

Hello all,

I am going to pick up a '65 "Travel Twin" over Thanksgiving that has been setting next to my Mother's barn for about 6 yrs and not used for about 10. I know there are going to be many hours and dollars going into the beast, but am looking forward to the challenge.

I've already posted on the Airstream forum, but I thought I'd try here too -- Any thoughts on things I should look into before towing it 900 miles home?

Thanks,
Sean
Astatoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 06:43 PM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
This is the standard checklist before moving one that has sat that long.

Tires, over 5 years old replace them.

bearings and brakes. Brakes need to be checked and bearings need new grease. The grease seals should be replaced too.

These two items almost garuntee that you will make it home.

Lights for braking, turn signals. This can be jury rigged, but if the orignals can be made to work it saves having to get a light bar. Take a few bungiees just in case and make SURE the door is latched AND locked.

Weight transfer hitch and brake controller installed on the tow vehicle. Basic tools and some provision for wiring the trailer to the tow vehicle, unless you know what is there. Buying an end to match the truck and rewiring at hookup should be planned on. Wiring diagrams are available on the airstream site.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 06:47 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
All right another Atlantan. A few of us Metro folks. I'm actually in Marietta.

Sitting 10 year you better bring tires. General consunsus is tires have issues with internal rot out after 5-7 years. Wheel bearing need to be inspected and repacked. Brakes checked while the bearings are being serviced (bring some emory cloth to sand the drums out). General check for frame problems and hitch condition. Proably need to clean out light sockets to make the tail lights reliable.

CHECK CAREFULLY FOR FLOOR ROT! a small place or two your be fine but if you have extensive rot the bouncing going down the road could cause it to fall apart.

Welcome to the insanity!
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 07:37 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

I planned on replacing the tires and having the brakes/axle serviced, but didn't think about the floor as a issue. I have a F-150 w/ 5.6 V-8, towing package, and the monster hitch is sitting in the trailer. Tools/gereral mechanical know-how are in abundance. Anything else?

P.S. I'm actually on Ft. McPherson and new to the area.

thx,
Sean
Old 10-20-2003, 07:39 PM   #5
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Sounds like you are properly prepared for the tow home, but do you realize how addictive an Airstream can be???
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 04:38 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Well, as I'm living iin military housing I don't have a home to use as a money pit, so I needed something. Besides, I have about 2 years left at Ft. Mac and then its off to the next station -- think I'll try for Europe, how cool would it be to have an Airstream while living in Europe?

Sean
Old 10-21-2003, 07:23 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64

Greetings Sean!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Airstream Ownership!

One thing that you might want to be prepared for is the hitch issue. If the hitch that is in the TradeWind happens to be a weld-up type (would not be uncommon for the vintage involved) it may very well be a good too high when attached to the receiver on your truck. Especially if your truck happens to have four-wheel-drive, the height issue will likely come into play. A hitch that is too high will result in stability issues as well as producing a situation where you will likely drag the rear bumper and drain system hardware on dips in the road.

You can find the recommended ball height for your TradeWind at:

Airstream Weights and Measures

I know that it is very easy to get caught up in the "moment" and go with a hitch that is not at the correct height, but it can become an expensive "oversight" - - when I towed my Minuet home, its hitch was about an inch and a half too high - - drug the rear bumper and plumbing on the road when crossing a railroad track resulting in several hundred dollars in damage.

Good luck with your new acquisition!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 07:36 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Kevin,

Thx for the tip. My Father pulled it with a Ford E-350 4x4 and I have a 4x4 F-150, so I'm hoping that the heights are compatible -- will be sure to check though.

Sean
Old 10-28-2003, 03:11 AM   #9
pezz

1982 34' Limited
mire poix , midi pyrenees
airstreams in europe

hi sean
well if you do get ot here look us up! i have airstreams ,check out my sit!!!http://www.thehazzards.com/air.htm
bye for now
perry
Old 10-28-2003, 04:56 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Perry,

Actually, I have seen your site, and if we return to Europe, a trip will be planned.

Sean

Tags