Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2004, 12:42 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Waiting to pick up my 65 trotter early this week (1st Airstream)!

Paid way too much, but I had to have it!

I have been/will be scouring the fourms, as I will be doing a full restoration/remodel and I wanted to say hello...So any tips for the maiden voyage home? I am hauling about 5-6hrs from Northern CA to Southern CA down the 5 over the grapevine...(high winds sometimes).

Thanks for any info and I hope all of you are welll and I look forward to picking your colective brains.

Best,

MW

PS Am I crazy or do the 65 Globetrotter's have the only rear light cluster in a raised rectangle that is exclusive to our model and year??? This is one of the things I liked about the 65 styling, very cool...we are an anomoly right??? Let me know your thoughts...
blrpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 04:50 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by blrpix
PS Am I crazy or do the 65 Globetrotter's have the only rear light cluster in a raised rectangle that is exclusive to our model and year??? This is one of the things I liked about the 65 styling, very cool...we are an anomoly right??? Let me know your thoughts...
My 65 GT has these rear light housings. Someone "tried" to take them out at one time and went nuts with the rivet gun and used steel pop rivets wtih rubber washer/gaskets when they ran out of Olympic rivets.

They made a real mess of the install I think trying to stop leaks. I think the leaking problem is why they were short lived in Airstream's use of this style. Also they become brittle over time.

Click the picture for super enlargement. (Having your own webserver lets you do cool links like this )

The other one looks worse. If you look carefully you can see cracking at the top on this one.

The only way to get them out without removing exterior panels is though the inside and that is if you remove the bath and inner panels behind the bath.

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 08:11 AM   #23
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
I think they were used only in 65. My sister in laws 65 safari has them too. On the 67's I have seen they are aluminum castings.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 10:12 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Newbie Towing

Thanks for the post about the 65 lights...but does anyone have tips for towing older airstreams a distance of several hundered miles? I plan to have the tires, brakes, wheels, bearings and lights checked in a town close to where I have to pick it up (8mi to town w/ no brakes-4 prong conection only) Towing with a GMC Yukon so I dont think this is a problem? Is there anything special I need to tell the mechanic who repacks the bearings, brakes...etc.???

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blrpix
Waiting to pick up my 65 trotter early this week (1st Airstream)!

Paid way too much, but I had to have it!

I have been/will be scouring the fourms, as I will be doing a full restoration/remodel and I wanted to say hello...So any tips for the maiden voyage home? I am hauling about 5-6hrs from Northern CA to Southern CA down the 5 over the grapevine...(high winds sometimes).

Thanks for any info and I hope all of you are welll and I look forward to picking your colective brains.

Best,

MW

blrpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 07:39 PM   #25

1965 20' Globetrotter
Glendale , Arizona
Hi everyone. I just registered today. I have a 21' 1965 Globetrotter. we bought it last October in Payson, Arizona. It is basically in great shape. We do want to put our own personality into it as we go along. The problem I am having right now is the waste holding tank. I rebuilt the Thetford valve but when I bolted it back up to the waste tank I can not get it to quit leaking. I am afraid that the bottom flange of the waste tank has some hair-line cracks in it. Is the tank replaceable, and if so, do you remove it from the top or bottom?
gmortensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 03:08 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Can anyone tell me how long the awning rail on their 65 GT is?

Has anyone installed an awning from Vintage Trailer Supply on here?

Steve
Old 11-14-2008, 06:27 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
winfield , Kansas
65 g/t

we got our 65 gt in oct- 08 (what a money pit ) but im loving it. looking forward to our first rally!!! we are in winfield ks thats south of wichita ks. if any one knows of a rally with in 500 mi please let me know. tnkx bill&marsha
bill almond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 06:31 PM   #28
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Greetings Bill,

I host two rallies each year in the Spring and Fall in Branson, MO. I also have a few other Midwest Rallies in the planning stages right now. Any of these would be close, and excellent for first time rally attendees.

Steve
Old 11-14-2008, 07:01 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Malibu , California
Hello we are newbies too. We have our gal at the repair station and we anxiously await her return to us. We are redoing upholstery and she needs tires, gaskets and lots of miscellaneous. She will keep her vintage appeal. See you cruisin along sooner than later.
gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 12:34 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
clarkston , Georgia
Welcome, We have a 67 Safari single axle 22" about 5,000 Lbs. Pay special attention
to getting the correct tires, A blowout can shred precious aluminum as it de-laminates.
These single axle trailers carry all the weight on two tires so get as good a 5 ply(?) or
whatever is recommended for the load! Do not do other than soap and water to clean your baby untill you learn about rivet sealing goo and aluminum coatings.
You have a great quality trailer--enjoy--Todd McDonald ATL
tod47d is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags