Old 02-25-2007, 03:28 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1969 21' Globetrotter
1972 27' Overlander
Fort Walton Beach , Florida
New '69 GT owner - info please!

Hi, I am the proud, and excited of owner of a 1969 21' Globe Trotter. It doesn't look like there are many of these around!

I am looking for original floor plans, service manuals, owner's manual, etc. I was surprised to see from some photos I found online, that someone has changed the layout of my front couch/bed and table area, so I need to see original floor plans.

I would like to see anyone's photos - before, after, current, whatever of '69 GTs.

I know that there is not a service manual for 1969. Would a '72 service manual be helpful to me? '69 GTs appear to be different from any other year. I was told that '69s do not have gray tanks, but mine has all 3!

Anyone know of a low priced place to get a fresh water holding tank?

Any advice and info is greatly appreciated!
Colleen

Old 02-25-2007, 05:00 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Lucky you! From one Gypsy to another, welcome to the forums! Your bouncing icon certainly expresses your excitement about your '69 find. We encourage you to use our search feature found at the top of this page to lead you to prior discussions about issues you'll encounter. And continue to ask your questions. I'm sure it won't be long before some other GT owners respond to your post above. See you down the road~G

Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 05:29 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
Hi Colleen;

Maybe I can help you - I seem to be the only active 69 Globe Trotter (former owner) on the forums. There has been a few come with some questions but then they disappear - probably enjoying their trailers and too busy to hang out here

You sound really excited - and you should be - the 69 is a very special year (in my opinion)

We just sold our 69 GT - and she is waiting to be picked up possibly next weekend or the week after.

I have lots of pictures - click on my photo gallery under my name GT6921. We also have a 61 Overlander in there too - it is not in as good a shape as the 69. We just purchased a 1963 to compensate for our mistake of selling the 69 but have not posted any pics in the Gallery yet. For more info on our trials and tribulations of the 69 do a search on MoonBeam - who knows what you will find...

Our's was all original and in fantastic shape inside and out. I do have the owners manual - you can get them from Airstream.com - The 72 service manual is okay but I think you could get buy with just the owners manual.

There are a couple of appliance manuals that we have as well that another 69 owner here at the forums sent us.

Let me know what appliances you have and we may have one for you.

I am not sure but I think most of the 69 Caravels and Globe Trotters had the front dinette with a rear double and rear side toilet/shower combo.

If you need any measurements or detailed pictures let me know as I only have her for a few more days

Try here for the fresh water tanks New and Reconditioned RV Parts & Accessories - RV Surplus I am sure there are many other places too.

Congrats on your new 69 Globe Trotter trailer. Did you happen to buy it from the classifieds here at the forums?

Do you have pictures you can post here???? need to see pics - we all love and live by pics.....
Old 02-26-2007, 08:01 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1969 21' Globetrotter
1972 27' Overlander
Thanks to both of you for the replies! Yes, I am so excited, I don't know where to start first!

GT6921: I'll look at your photos and see if I want any more before yours disappears. I appreciate your reply to my post. Are you selling just because the '69 is done and you want to start over? (or maybe you had an offer you couldn't refuse) I will do searches, but may I ask you questions if I need to?

My '69GT is in very good condition on the outside - needs polishing, of course - however the inside and guts are pretty much torn out. I bought it from someone who was trying to repair it, but he got sick and couldn't finish. I will post my "before" photos as soon as I can. My biggest concern, right now is that he put a heavier vintage air conditioner on it. I hope it's not too heavy!
Colleen
Old 02-26-2007, 08:35 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
Yes the AC's can be very heavy and if not properly framed and extra support can cause damage - especially if the axle is shot (stiff as a board) Thus all the road bouncing will go straight to that AC and can even buckle or bow the roof.

Good axle with suspension will absorb the road thus save your shell (or what is left in there.)

When no stabalizers are on it is night and day on how the trailer feels with a dead axle compared to a new one.

No - it was a bit of a hasty decision to sell - and then we gave our word which we will not go back on.

As we no longer have the time to spend a month in the south - we thought as where we live we would have no need for a trailer. (we are working on another for our retirement but that is several years off yet)

We never thought that we may use it during the summer months like all the rest of the "world" - we live in a place people travel to for vacations hence we never gave - "getting away" a second thought. Of course not until we gave our word to sell the the 69.

A week went buy and we resolved the fact that we would have to hop too on the Overlander - but it is such a big job and we want to do that one perfect as we will be traveling in it a long time.

It is a bad think to look at classifieds and e-bay!!! This little sorry looking 63 came up - and there are not too many out there that have a nice shell - they are either pretty bashed up scratched or hail damaged - and lately far too many with "tree" bruises.

So we did the math and jumped on it right away. We have a lot of work to do on her as well - but the floor is in good shape - save under the tub. Not like the Overlander that has 3/4 of the floor to be replaced.

The layout is very different to the 69 - which we really liked. Unfortunately there is not the space to duplicate the layout - and I do not like the little dinette booths - you end up wearing your breakfast. So we are making some mods to this one - that will pull her from the "original" list - so I am trading in the purist for functionality on this one.

I have lots of pics of how the beds pulled out and we had ideas on making the stationary singles up front to be sliders creating a large bed in the front too - which could be used as either singles or almost a queen.

The shower/toilet - draw back for us was the sink - we like the idea of it being outside the "water closet". And with that set up there were some Caravels that put a small sink in the little night table that worked great. We never used that night table drawers could you had to move all the bedding to get the door open and then pull out the little drawers. The design was very poor on that little cupboard - although looked sharp.

So are you missing all the wood interior cupboard too? if so that is a real shame - as that is what sets them apart from the the 70's models. But the shell and window design stepped them up from the funcitionality of the 60's. (except the front wing windows of course)

We are now happy with our purchase - in that we really do like the look of the 60's shell better than the 70's. If only they had the 69 interior in an early 60's -pre 65 shell.

good luck and fire the questions away - no matter how small or trivial....
Old 02-26-2007, 09:02 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1969 21' Globetrotter
1972 27' Overlander
The photo section of this site has not been working for a few days, so I can't look at all your photos. Hopefully soon, I can! I did find a few photos in some of your old posts. Yours was in MUCH better shape than mine inside! You were very lucky! I didn't even know there had been a sink in the "water closet".

The kitchen has been left in the original layout. Just the front couch/bed/table has been changed. I'm hoping to see some photos of how the front couche/bed frame pulls out, and how it looks pulled out and set up for the bed - or is it 2 beds in the front? Someone pulled the couch off the wall on the stove/sink side of the camper and moved it to the front wall, so it is an "L" shape. The table is just gone, though I did find the table support and ends hiding in the "stuff" that came with the camper.

My shell is in very good shape, the floor is sound, and it pulled smoothly with very little bounce or shimmey. And that was with no stabilizer of any kind!

Did you name your GT "Gypsy"? or is that another name? My nickname has been "Gypsy Moth" and "Happy Gypsy Moth" for many years. Hmmm, maybe there is a name there for my GT. Actually, I didn't know people named them, but I like that idea. Do people put the name on the trailers? And what are the numbers on the trailers? Are they style numbers or years built?

Can't wait to see all your photos! This particular year seems to be pretty unique. I would love to have copies of any paperwork you have to appliances, heaters, pumps, etc. I would gladly pay for copies.

P.S. you can always change your mind on a sale. It is difficult to sell a "child". They will find another one.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:38 AM   #7
Vince & Virginia

1969 21' Globetrotter
Riverside , California
Hi Colleen,

My husband and I own a 69 Globetrotter. We are still in the process of restoring it, but it is in pretty good shape overall. You can see some older pictures of it on our website - we've fixed it up alot since these were taken - new cushions, new floor, refinished the wood cabinets, new awning, power converter, batteries, propane tanks, regulator, air-conditioner, 2-way fridge, had the rear frame/bumper rebuilt, new axels, wheels, tires . . . . wow - so that's where all our money went!

I'm sure you have a million questions . . . ask away!

It tows great!

Virginia
Old 03-03-2007, 10:42 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1969 21' Globetrotter
1972 27' Overlander
I haven't been able to see anyone's photos online here, as the photo gallery still is not working! I'm anxious to see them! I hope no one minds if I print them out to give me ideas! ?

Does anyone know what the weight of the original air conditioner is for the '69GT is? The man I bought mine from replaced the original with another old, but working one. The newer one weighs 130lbs. I'm hoping this isn't too heavy for it!

So far I've cleaned up a little inside, and checked out what pieces/parts the previous owner left for me; I've ordered a owner's manual; and have discovered that I do not have a canopy - only all of the hardware - anyone made one themselves? I'm also working on a name for her. Something from 1969.

I'll get some photos up when the photo gallery is working.