Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2011, 07:30 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Layout suggestions - 1966 ??

Below are pictures of the original layout and my currently planned layout for the 66 Globetrotter we just picked up. It's to scale although I didn't go so far as to make the radius of the curves in the corners exact.

We like to have a dinette for playing cards and such, hence the small one on across from the galley. The larger will convert to a decent sized bed which can stay down when it's just the two of us - or can be a fairly large U shaped dinette if we have kids / grandkids joining.

We want to salvage the bathroom layout and preferred to keep exiting venting for stove hood and fridge. Played with a few other variations that included moving some of that but none that were worth the extra effort so this is what we've concluded so far.

Thoughts would be appreciated

Old 02-01-2011, 08:39 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
2005 18' Westphalia
Evans , GA
I do not have technical expertise but I think your plan looks pretty good. Some of your dimensions are a bit confusing. I am not sure what they line up with.
I like the dinette. It widens the galley walkway.
The new bath door position frees up the storage and elongates the visual space.
You may consider an L-shape sofa as the U-shape eats up a lot of floor space. Having an open floor area can improve the comfort and livability of the space. Especially when you have a houseful. It would still make up to the same size bed and seat 3-4.
We had an L in our 28' CCD and it made into an extra-long full due to the wide body.
Bird's Nest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:58 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

I didn't update all of the dimensions after moving things around - that's why some of them are confusing.

L shape sofa may be a very good idea, I'll have to play with that and look for plans of the 28CCD - Thanks
Old 02-01-2011, 09:03 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
1975 25' Tradewind
Walnut Creek , California
Great drawings. What program did you use to make them?

Ed/Breadbug
Breadbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:07 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

I have an old version of Visio. Just copied and pasted them into a paint program to convert to .jpg for posting
Old 02-01-2011, 09:10 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
1975 25' Tradewind
It seems like the dinette in the middle would not have any room for your legs, considering the wheel well. I've seen a European remodel using a u shaped dinette over the wheel and a simple goacho in the front.

Ed/Breadbug

You'd loose one of the closets though.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:17 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Yeah, I thought that might be a problem. Hoping I can work it out somehow though. I'd think that a U there would take up too much space relative to the galley. Wonder what the dimensions were?
Old 02-01-2011, 09:24 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
1975 25' Tradewind
Quote:
Originally Posted by wworx
Yeah, I thought that might be a problem. Hoping I can work it out somehow though. I'd think that a U there would take up too much space relative to the galley. Wonder what the dimensions were?
I'll see if I can find the pic I copied.

Ed/Breadbug
Old 02-01-2011, 09:26 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
1975 25' Tradewind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breadbug

I'll see if I can find the pic I copied.

Ed/Breadbug
Here it is.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-218465318.png
Views:	456
Size:	158.2 KB
ID:	121142  
Old 02-01-2011, 10:13 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
denver , Colorado
My idea on my 67' renovation was a full-time bed and full-time dinette. However, if these two areas needed to be converted into either a bed or couch, that can happen. But I believe there are a few things you always do in a travel trailer - that's relaxing, eating and sleeping. So in my design, I wanted an area to sit and sleep without having a conversion. Hence, the semi-permanent dinette and sleeping area. They are not large trailers and they will not be fitting for a large group.

I recycled the curb-side goucho couch and retro-fit it into the front end cap making the bed. I am going to purchase a memory-foam futon mattress that can be folded up into a couch if the need arises. But I plan on keeping this area as a full-time bed.

I say go with a design that suits the two or three primary users but make it user-friendly in case you have a few more guests!
star kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:21 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by wworx View Post
I'd think that a U there would take up too much space relative to the galley. Wonder what the dimensions were?
Newer Airstream Sport 22FB's use a U-shaped dinette as well. Take a look at their specs/brochure online to find the dimensions.

That trailer is slightly narrower than yours, so it should work width-wise.

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:35 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
1975 25' Tradewind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breadbug

Here it is.
I'm sure this dinette takes up no more space than the twin bed does in my trailer. Maybe more than a goacho though.

Ed/Breadbug
Old 02-01-2011, 11:58 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Salt Lake City , Utah
WWORX, I like your design. I am working on very similar plans for my '65 Safari.
Those gauchos never made much sense to me. You are always sitting with your back to the windows that you should be able to be looking out of.
As Breadbug mentioned the wheel-well will eat up some legroom below your side dinette. I therefore made my side dinette a little wider as a result; there is still ample walk way space.
I originally planned a "U" shaped seating area up front, similar to yours, but finally chose a standard dinette there as well. The "U" shape doesn't really add any extra seating because no one can feasibly sit in the corners and you loose a bunch of table space. The "U" shape also forces you into a pedestal table which is likely a bit less stable. The "U" shape does have what seems to be a friendlier "conversation circle" feel to it. They each have advantages. If, you stick with the "U" shape plan, here is an idea. When I was considering the "U" shape, I planned a two table option. One full size table for dining that would drop down to make up the bed. And, a smaller "coffee table" size on a shorter pedestal that could be used for the cocktail hour, conversation circle mode.
Good Luck
BWH
BWH-Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:48 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Great feedback so far. Please keep it coming. I'd prefer to work out as many issues in planning as possible rather than trial by error. This site is great!
Old 10-14-2013, 06:58 PM   #15

1965 20' Globetrotter
La Quinta , California
In our 66 GT twin, the furnace is located where your fridge is located. Our fridge is next to the galley sink. Are you eliminating your furnace? If not, where is it located in your sketch? We will be making similar modifications to our floor plan, so I'm very interested in what you are doing.
Tbullock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:45 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Snoqualmie , Washington
I would add to the comments that you should consider a larger sink - or is this just a schematic of that area and not representative of what you plan? We used a 21" wide single basin sink, 8" deep, and darned glad we did. It appears that your AS is about the same dimensions as our Argosy. The only thing I would do differently, if I was talented enough, would be to find a way to make a "permanent" bed. Making up a bed every morning is a (minor) PITA.
DryFly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1966, 1966 globetrotter