Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2011, 06:19 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Finally got it home - 1966

A few weeks back I posted that I'd found a '65 Globetrotter locally. It turns out it's a '66. Well after all the fun of getting it registered in MA (estate sale and sat for a dozen years with no registration or other documentation - fun process) I finally made the trek to get it home.

We've had about 3 feet of snow here in the last few weeks with virtully no melt off. There's another couple of feet due Wed so I figured I'd better get it here now if I wanted to get it before the Spring thaw.

So my 14 year old son & I went out and dug it out of the snow - replaced both wheels and luckily the axle was serviceable enough to make the short ride home. Now the fun begins.

Its all original inside and in surprisingly good shape. That said it's 45 years old and I'm sure there's floor rot that I couldn't find on the initial inspection. There have been some critter subletting the place too to a thorough once over is due. I'm planning on a few changes to teh layout too so I'm in for the long haul. Estimating a two year process to do everything thoroughly enough.

I'll get pictures of it's starting shape in the next week or so. Looking forward to the challenge and I'm sure I'll be spending a lot of time right here in the process.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1957 26' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Saint Augustine , Florida
Congratulations! We've got about the same amount of snow in CT, where I am now... Let's hope for more white stuff and NO ice!!

Rae

via~ AIR Forums App.

AIR # 42703
TCT Member
TAC # FL~6
WBCCI # 1464

'57 Overlander thread:"the end of the rainbow is silver"
Silverfoxrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:12 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Good job! I'll be watching for progress pictures. Thanks for the update.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:33 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1954 25' Cruiser
Marshfield , Massachusetts
close by...

Hi Greg,

I'm in Marshfield and just bought a '54 Cruiser...not picking it up until June though, so you'll be way ahead of me by then. You can check out pics of it on the website link below and go to the airstream page. I'm doing the full johnny on mine too so schedule will be about the same as yours. Looking forward to seeing some pics and following the progress.
54Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:45 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Looks like a pretty good foundation to start with Don. I may have to tap into some of your aluminum knowledge along the way. Pretty confident about systems and furniture, but the aluminum work itself and the associated riveting is somewhat new to me. I hope you're right about being ahead by June - time will tell. At this point I'm concerned that there will still be snow around by then!
Old 02-01-2011, 05:47 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
denver , Colorado
Congratulations! I brought home a 67' in August of last year. Been busy working on it since. It's quite a task both time-wise and financially. What are your plans for the trailer?

Post your progress. You can see my project at 1967airstreamglobetrotter.blogspot.com.

Good luck and have fun.
star kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:12 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Here's the picture after I got it into it's new home. Picture taken through a screen window - can see the grid, sorry.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:19 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

I like your project Star Kitty.

Ideally I would've preferred to start with your layout as my ultimate plan is more like that. Even though everything looks in good shape, I expect to go through an entire gut job before I'm done. Clearly evidence of critters and I'm betting they've been in the belly and walls too. Floor tested solid, but I expect there's rot under the bathroom if nothing else. With the weather we're having it looks like I have a few months to contemplate before any major work gets going!
Old 02-01-2011, 07:48 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1954 25' Cruiser
Marshfield , Massachusetts
working w/aluminum

Greg, working with aluminum is actually quite easy, do not be intimidated. It is very forgiving and the worst that can happen is you replace a piece. While building the airplane I actually think I built three...but I do understand the alloys and I have a lot of tools so don't hesitate to send an email or a PM and I'll lend a hand and give you my $.02.
54Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 07:18 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Thanks!

Tags
1966, 1966 globetrotter